Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Andrew Hill

Liked 170 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: is something wrong with this picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie c View Post
No, I wasn't making light of the situation. I was un sure of the Fords
engine size. I thought it might have been a 4.7 liter motor. I have been out of competition for several years,but there were many similarities
between then and now. Unfortunately the small block Chevy has been
raced and developed over several years,so currently, the Chevy is much closer to its full potential then the Ford.If someone races this Ford
combination next season and gets everything right,hopefully NHRA
will re factor the motor.
I meant the last part as an addition to the original post.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
eddie c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hill View Post
I meant the last part as an addition to the original post.
Even if those additional components that you mentioned were just equal to that of the Chevrolet motor, the Ford appears much more than +5 HP
above that of the Chevrolet. Did you ever think that this is NHRA's
way of getting potential new interest in the class and in different cars? For a new guy looking for a car to build in stock class,its a pretty easy choice to make(at this time) which car he should buy and run! ed
eddie c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Those specs aren't much more bogus in relation to the initial hp rating than the DPs.
In my business I never screwed my regular customers over to attract new ones.
In two or three years they may be within a couple of classes where they belong. Like many, but not all DPs. Best we can do is in a heads up is try to push them 1+ under. Even if it means pulling 100 lbs out to do it. Don't weigh round losers, do they? Other than 1st round of class. LOL
Old 12-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed;
It's funny, Dallas (Glenn) and I were discussing this very subject yesterday at the shop. Many things came onto the table including the weight removal but the question I have is " does being found significantly light after a heads up race grounds for and extended NHRA vacation?" I told Dallas that with all the weight out and a 100 shot we still cant run with these guys but I really like the idea of becoming a more formidable chaser and letting the system do the rest, so long as that "vacation" isn't in the mix. Not sure what Dallas thought at the end of the day. He's a traditional young guy; wants to kick everybody's katukkas, kiss the girl, grab the little gold man (and the money) and go kick back with a hot dog and a good internet connection. I think he voted for all the weight out, the 100 shot and possibly a 383.
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Tom, I mentioned to Wesley some guys had mentioned pulling weight to run those guys. He said he would not be suprised if some did. But he, of course would not reccomend it. :-)
We are sure to loose, may as well make them run as quick as we can to beat us.
If they think we are doing they will have to decide a hp trigger or giving a round away to get us kicked out. Be a gamble for them, right? I can pull 80 lbs real easy, and have talked about doing it in a case like that. I also still have my old 383" bracket engine that would have no problem with a 360" DP, sure wouldn't want to get caught with that. Chuck Nelson would kill me. LOL
Old 12-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

If you are in a heads up race and you are the slower car by one tenth or one second,you realistically are not going to ever win if your opponent gets a .099 light or better.

You can win if your opponent breaks,crashes, or redlights.

I would much rather be at the legal weight in situations being described.

You are probably going to lose anyway,but what if you somehow win the round and get disqualified for being light on weight?
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

442 OLDS;
All great ideas have pitfalls but the odds that someone that has 3 to 5 tenths to spare is going to redlight, blow up or crash are pretty slim; probably gonna lose anyway. Why not push a little?

Ed;
I can get 100+lbs out of the 96 without a noticable thrash.....and we may have a few other tricks up our sleeve with which to "push", but if we were really smart we could figure out how to take a legal LT-1 and run circles around a guy with the same size engine that just happens to have more squeeze, more cam, real race heads and intake and a 1000 CFM throttle body...and 50 less factored HP. No problem!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wink Re: is something wrong with this picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Turner View Post
Ed;
It's funny, Dallas (Glenn) and I were discussing this very subject yesterday at the shop. Many things came onto the table including the weight removal but the question I have is " does being found significantly light after a heads up race grounds for and extended NHRA vacation?" I told Dallas that with all the weight out and a 100 shot we still cant run with these guys but I really like the idea of becoming a more formidable chaser and letting the system do the rest, so long as that "vacation" isn't in the mix. Not sure what Dallas thought at the end of the day. He's a traditional young guy; wants to kick everybody's katukkas, kiss the girl, grab the little gold man (and the money) and go kick back with a hot dog and a good internet connection. I think he voted for all the weight out, the 100 shot and possibly a 383.
Your are a funny guy Mr. T !! ROTFLMAO!!!!!
Happy Holidays to ya Tom..........
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A56 View Post
Is a Vacation from NHRA actually a Blessing or a Threat?

Mark Lelchook
E/SA #704
Could be money in the bank.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Happy holidays to you Charlie! You may be the only person on CR that appreciates my brand of humor. Thank You.

Mark;
Not to tough to answer your question these days but I would prefer to take the vacation on my own terms or at least without an NHRA mandate.

ED;
Brilliant as usual. Many fun cupons would never leave the bank during such a vacation. This idea sounds better and better as I type. (slow typist)