HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Gary Smith

Liked 76 Times in 24 Posts
Default 1969 Mercury Cyclone

Found a '69 Cyclone Q code (428 CJ) without the original engine. Current owner claims not a full restore - but has new paint, no rust, minor interior flaws. Apparently the engine block numbers have been ground down, suspecting it's a 390, with aftermarket aluminum heads. Owner wants 17K but I don't think it's worth more than 9K. Any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: 1969 Mercury Cyclone

Gary,

You are probably correct on you value of the vehicle.

I have a 68 Cyclone GT and the value is just not there. A perfectly restored car struggles to get 20K on Evil-bay or many of the places I have seen. Compared to a 396 Chevelle SS or a 442, or Buick GS, even the Torinos are going for more. You have got to remember that it is TOP of the line Merc and should meet any of the other intermediates some where close in price. I did see a Cyclone go at Barret-Jackson for a lower 30K and I could pick it apart from the photos, pathetic.

This is the reason I chose to class race mine. A good stocker that can run the numbers can bring 20K a lot easier and you get to have fun with it, instead of hauling it around and wiping it down all the time.

I love my car and have for years and will enjoy it going down the track some day.

Steve
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Steve is right for some reason the Cyclones just don't bring the money some of the other do. I still think with the correct engine and a solid car its worth 12-15K. Just my .02

Of course its not worth anything if nobody wants it.

Last edited by 69Cobra; 12-31-2008 at 08:35 PM.
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just saw a 71 Torino Cobra 429 (blue) go on Barrett-Jackson for 100K. Don't know if it was live or a repeat but I know the Cyclone won't do that.

If you look at NASCAR history, the 69 Cyclone won more races than the Superbird, Daytona, or the Torino. They are said to have a"slicker" areo package than any of the others. This I got off of a Mopar site. I lived that era and had thought the Mopars ruled, but was surprised.

A note for the 390 or 428. Look at the heater hose fitting coming out of the front of the intake. If it looks like a bent tube vs a hex headed fitting the intake is a 428. The runners are too tall for the hex fitting. The heads will have 16 hole exhaust ports. A head with 14 is usually a 390GT, the center 2 ports had 3 holes, not 4.

Now, look out for other things like what I did. I had a 390 and put headers on it many years ago, but had my heads drilled and tapped for the headers. They look like a 428. Then you have to go to the casting #s. I have since got a 428 and had it prepared by Lance Line for me. Can't wait to hear it.

Steve
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Gary Smith

Liked 76 Times in 24 Posts

The car was to be purchased & picked up on 1/2/09 but the current owner hasn't been "shooting straight" from the start. Being I'm not an FE expert by any stretch of imagination I hoped to obtain further knowledge prior to purchase and my instincts are proving to be correct. If this dude won't budge below 10K we will cancel our travel plans and the owner will be informed " to go pound sand".

Thanks guys for the info.