HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #51
Steve OB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Steve OB
Default Re: Resurrecting the Rambler

Thanks for the kind words Brian. Those were some Awesome days back then. I still look back on those days often.

It has been many years & a lot of ideas but I think I'm finally stuck on the Hornet. For the first time in my life I have a garage! I am working on getting it functional then I will start to bolt on all the things I have collected for the last 15 years. It's scheduled to go to the chassis shop in the spring.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:50 AM   #52
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
If you have not do so, you need to become a member of these sites:

http://amccars.net
http://theamcforum.com

Both sites have classified forums much like ClassRacer.com where you can post what you are looking for. Also, the AMC enthusiasts seem to be very helpful to their own.
Thanks Dwight, I have been to both in my searches for information already. There is another group I used to be part of many years ago, it is the NAMDRA organization which is the AMC racing arm of the hobby. Good place for finding specialty racing pieces geared to AMC's.

(Catching up to present day, Jan 11th 2016)
The dashboard is all back in place and the parts pile on top of the car is shrinking. Part of the dashboard redo involved me trying to put a brushed aluminum applique over the woodgrain plastic. I was trying to cut pieces off a bulk roll and fashion them into the proper size for dash piece, and the end result didn't thrill me a whole lot, but it serves the purpose of making the car more AMX-ish. I have plenty of aluminum decal left, so I may try this again on the spare pieces I have from the parted out car and see if Try #2 goes better.
Currently I'm sorting through the wiring nest in the engine compartment, it's a mystery because I'm retrofitting an older engine into a newer system that used a computer and a whole raft of different componentry, but it will turn out fine. Nothing a pinball guy can't handle, I'm used to seeing about 30 miles worth of wiring in all those ancient machines I fix.
Time to order several pieces now for future installations, the credit card will be taking a post Christmas beating!

The console with gauges cleaned up pretty nice, more interior pictures on the next post when I get them resized...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20151219_145507.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	32195  
Old 01-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #53
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,668 Times in 1,296 Posts

Have you considered naming the car....Pinball Wizard ? That would be , ....shall we say......Way Cool !!!
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #54
Pinballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Have you considered naming the car....Pinball Wizard ? That would be , ....shall we say......Way Cool !!!
As long as the car isn't bouncing off the retaining walls like a pinball I'd be good with that name! And I hope it launches from the starting line like a ball plunger is shooting it...
Old 01-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #55
Pinballer

Before and after pictures of the dashboard teardown/rebuild. The only thing missing I'll need to fill a hole with is a factory radio. I think there's an AM/FM/Cassette/CB still parked in an '80 Concord wagon out back. Yeah baby! Retro all the way.

A new shifter is ordered, might be overkill for this car but I absolutely loved the look and had to have it. Always wanted one of these when I first saw them come out around 1985. Frivolous expenditure #1 is now on the way.
Pictures when it happens! Can you guess what it is?

That third pedal keeps hanging there and intriguing me. I think I'll leave it there in case it's ever needed. You never know....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsz_rsz_amx_dashboard_1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	32211   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1rsz_amx_dashboard.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	32212   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_rsz_amx_dashboard_3.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	32213  

Old 01-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #56
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,668 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinballer View Post
As long as the car isn't bouncing off the retaining walls like a pinball I'd be good with that name! And I hope it launches from the starting line like a ball plunger is shooting it...
How do you think he does it ? I don't know ! What makes him so good ? Hey Teddy Yacavone , whatta ya think about those lyrics ?
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #57
Don Turk

Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Resurrecting the Rambler

Brian

Was good to see you this summer. Lots of racing stories from those Magic Days at Rolling Thunder and Motion . Excited to see your project is underway. If like contact me anytime. My 2c the journey is the best part. Have fun

Don
Don Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #58
Pinballer

You were one of the guys that pushed me over the edge to get into all this madness after we talked there in St. Louis last fall Don. Let that burden weigh on your mind from now on, you and a couple others are responsible for whatever might happen.
See you sometime this year, hopefully with a running car.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #59
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,481 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
How do you think he does it ? I don't know ! What makes him so good ? Hey Teddy Yacavone , whatta ya think about those lyrics ?
"Teddy"?
Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?
Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?
Who the f*** are you ? who who?

How about that?

Sorry, Mr PB ..He made me do it.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #60
Pinballer

Good one Mark!
Little does anybody know I've been playing keyboards and brass instruments for the better part of 50 years now, so 60's and 70's rock music is right up my alley.

Been a little slow going for the last couple of weeks, the shop I'm borrowing for this build is still pretty busy, everybody else's car is dying since it's 0 out right now, so I've been pushed clear down to the end bay where it's dark and cold and have no lift available. However, my desire to want to flog this Rambler this year is pushing me on. I keep trying to find little things to do.
Mocked up the shifter install today, had to saw the console into three pieces and trim the heck out of it on the insides around the hole, but it's going to graft back together. Figured out the original 4 speed hole in the floor is right where 2 of the new Kilduff automatic shifter's mount holes have to be, so I'm going to have to patch weld the hole in the floor shut before I can drill into anything for mounting. As usual, nothing comes easy.
But the look----oh man, it's everything I wanted!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shifter install.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	32246