HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-06-2018, 01:51 AM   #21
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Willwood, Strange or Aerospace?

I have wilwoods on 3 cars and never a issue. Aerospace on one car and always had to pump the pedal once at the end of a run to get anything.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #22
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip marvetz View Post
I have wilwoods on 3 cars and never a issue. Aerospace on one car and always had to pump the pedal once at the end of a run to get anything.
Wrong bore size master cylinder, or need bled correctly. I have even seen calipers installed with the bleeder NOT at the very top. How do they bleed all the air out? LOL

Last edited by Ed Wright; 05-06-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #23
Rsmith38

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

when I built the Comanche nobody listed front disks for it.
I contacted aerospace and they said to send them a spindle and they could build the mounting plate (everything else is 5"X4 1/2 and available). ended up charging me $65 extra over the regular kits - and they have been on for 14 years. Very satisfied with the brakes and the customer service. Works for me.
1051 R/SA
Rsmith38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #24
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,543 Times in 1,267 Posts

Everyone shoots for a nice FIRM pedal but I haven’t seen one post regarding DRAG......Absolutely NO drag with the Lamb setup....Aerospace not so much, but they do supply you with washers to shim their setup....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #25
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

The big knock on Aerospace is not so much how they work, They use the same pads and piston sizes as every other manufacturer .
The real issue is quality control and component packaging.
I've installed every other brand out there for customers and not once did I need to re drill holes, or counter sink them or run to the bolt bin for correct hardware . ....not the case with Areospace.
Caliper alignment also an issue with them witch causes soft ,spongy pedal feel.
all correctable issues ,but I'll take Strange ,MW Lamb or Willwood over them any day.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #26
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Everyone shoots for a nice FIRM pedal but I haven’t seen one post regarding DRAG......Absolutely NO drag with the Lamb setup....Aerospace not so much, but they do supply you with washers to shim their setup....
I had aerospace on our cobalt, and the drag was tremendous. If we bring it back out, I’ll put Lamb brakes all the way around. They drag so bad when he’d pull into the pits and clutch the car, it’d slide both fronts.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #27
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

I am with Ed on this one. I have had Aerospace on my car for quite a few years. They have worked flawlessly. There is absolutely no drag. I can spin my fronts and they are very free. I also have a nice firm pedal and don't have to do any pumps of the pedal.

One thing that will cause drag Is if you are heavy on the brakes at the finish line it will wear the brake pads on a skew and they will drag like crazy. A nice soft touch on the pedal and the pads will wear evenly. I have installed Aerospace brakes on several cars with excellent results. They are a good company with good people and customer service.
Now if they aren't installed properly then that could be the problem.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #28
Nick_Siebert

Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts

In my younger years all I looked at was price, so I converted my Stock Eliminator car at the time over from factory disc brakes, to Aerospace because they were cheaper than their competitors. They looked pretty, but that was about all they provided, dragged terrible, pedal sucked, wore pads, just a complete nightmare.

Sent them back to Aerospace multiple times just to have them tell me I installed them wrong. Finally bought a Strange kit, simply unbolted the Aerospace and bolted up the Strange, and all my problems disappeared.

Some say they have had zero problems with Aerospace, but I think you will find most have been unsatisfied. Just spend a little more and buy good parts, it will cost you less in the long run.
Nick_Siebert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #29
Hacksaw

Liked 272 Times in 149 Posts

My first set of racing disc brakes was in 1978, Hurst/Airhearts. Since then I've used JFZ, Strange carbon/carbon, Wilwood, M W and lately Strange steel. Over this time period I've noticed changes in the Strange brakes that show me their committed to improving their product, ie directional calipers using different size pistons. Also the front kit uses aluminium hubs designed to fit one bolt circle not both. ( either 4.5 or 4.75 ) This saves on weight. Overall, IMO, Strange is the best value.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote