HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Fuel check questions

Being new to all this I see from time to time that somebody doesn't pass fuel check at an event even though they may have bought the fuel right there at the track from the chosen supplier. What conditions and variables are there that would cause the gas to come up testing bad, short of just plain putting an illegal additive into the gas?
What is it that is measured in the fuel check and how do they go about it?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Default Re: Fuel check questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinballer View Post
Being new to all this I see from time to time that somebody doesn't pass fuel check at an event even though they may have bought the fuel right there at the track from the chosen supplier. What conditions and variables are there that would cause the gas to come up testing bad, short of just plain putting an illegal additive into the gas?
What is it that is measured in the fuel check and how do they go about it?
Fellow slow stocker. The one and only time I had a fuel check issue was after swapping from Sunnoco Blue to C12..........cell had foam which caused my issue.......foam gone......issue gone.

Your 258 rocket ship should pass with flying colors like mine with c-12. Don't tempt fate with a rusty fuel tank if you are not using a cell. Only thing to watch out for with C-12 is run carb out of gas each and every time you are done for the weekend.....C-12 gets crystaline in the bowl and junks everthing up in the stock BBD, do the same with the optional 2HP penalty holley 600 with the aluminum intake setup. Just kidding.

They are checking the specific gravity and temp mostly as far as I can tell. So if your fuel is reasonably fresh and the temp isn't way off(super chilled) you should pass.

Eric
Old 05-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The NHRA/IHRA fuel checks are actually checked against a standard spec, issued by the race fuel manufacturer. When Renegade became an accepted race fuel for both series, we submitted the test specs of each of our fuels. Those specs are then used by the sanctioning body to make sure that the fuel you say is in the fuel cell, really is in the cell, and hasn't been altered.
Primarily, the dilectric reading of the fuel is compared to the specs supplied by the race fuel manufacturer. That's the test that can result in a DQ.
The test is very precise. So sample temps, exposure to the atmosphere, and plain old contamination can have a big influence on the outcome. Something as simple as having some of the sample fuel wash across your greasy hand and then into the sample container will have an effect. And it's not unheard of to find product right from the supplier that isn't up to spec, or was in a contaminated container.
Some brands seem to have a much bigger problem with quality control than other brands.
Mike Croley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
NORMAN BARNARD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Mike, where can this data you refered to be obtained and also the brand of diaelectric testor nhra uses. Were at 4000 ft. Above sea level with summer temp's over 100 deg plus. (in the shade).

Thanks.....
NORMAN BARNARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The dilectric constants ( DC ) can be found on the accepted products list at the NHRA web site. Page 101. Other test criteria, like specific gravity, and color, can be found on each race fuel manufacturers web site. The Renegade web site is www.renegadepro1.com
The testers can be purchased. I think Ridgeway is one of the companies that offers one.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that i think about it, I believe Ridgeway is out of the business. I think Digitron is the company that currently produces the test equipment.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

Somebody in a earlier post brought up fuel temperature at fuel check. I know the alcohol classes have to be above a certain temperature. Is there a min temp for S/SS classes? Just curious because I'm curious really don't think freezing the fuel would help the problems my turd has.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 951 Times in 262 Posts

Pretty sure that the temp of the fuel being tested is only checked so that the other parameters of the fuel specifications car be verified based on the manufacturers specs provided to NHRA, at various temperatures. When the fuel check guys run a test, they have a chart that has the readings the fuel should register at depending on the temperature. The same fuel will read differently on a cold spring or fall morning than on a hot summer day . The temp is a calibration factor.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
Mike Croley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, the temperature of the fuel sample during testing is very important. Fuel check personnel will ( or should ) have the correction factor chart.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
NORMAN BARNARD

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Mike, are these temp. Correction charts readily available to the public from the manufacturers? Also i found the info. On nhra
you previously told me about......thanks
NORMAN BARNARD is offline   Reply With Quote