HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #21
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Drag Racers, Why do we race ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM MARSHALL View Post
The only reason I continue to race is " I hate my money"!
You nailed it Jim !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #22
Kenny Bomar

Liked 299 Times in 41 Posts
Default Re: Drag Racers, Why do we race ?

My dad bought a 1933 American austin bantam for 15$ when I was abt 6 yrs old it broke and he put it in our 1 car garage it sat there rotting til I was 14 he told me if I could get it running he would give it to me. That did it the next 2 yrs every spare moment and $ went to it! But at 16 when I got those license I was rolling except when it would break down. Saving my $ sacking groceries all thru high school upon graduation and entering trade school to be an electrician I bought a brand new "wish I still had it" 1966 ss396 chevelle 375 hp and a 4 spd! I was broke but happiest 17 yr old on the planet! After a couple of expensive trips to jail for racing I knew I had to Change the plan I went to Lakeland drag strip in Memphis Wow!! The cars , competition , and legal !! Got me!! Ran pure stock til I could afford a set of headers. Then ran stock, bought a new 1969 Camaro w 6 Cyl and 3 spd and put in the same combo I run now 427 425 hp ran b/sa. Ran it 2 yrs sold it to Jerry Jennings in n Carolina , he still has it I tried to buy it back. Was shopping for a car that fit closer to the top of the class and got to running w the juke joint crowd then turned Hippie for a while needless to say race car money gone! Someone told me I could have a new life w/ Jesus went to church when I was young but never heard of being Born Again thot I'd try it . Got real salvation started following Him about 1985 my oldest son said Dad lets build a race car! Built a CAmaro just like my original and started using it as a tool for Jesus I'm a Godspeed Chaplain for Memphis Int Raceway and having a blast!
Kenny Bomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #23
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,695 Times in 851 Posts

Great personal story Kenny. Hopefully you've had to chance to read the book "Unbroken" (don't see the movie, read the book) about how Louie Zamperini rather unexpectantly accepted Christ after an amazing personal journey. I've always enjoyed going to the morning services at the races. It gives us all a chance to reflect on many things, including how God blesses us with the chance to share a passion with others doing something we love to do.

For me, Chaplain services at the races definitely goes on the list of why we race.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #24
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,806 Times in 572 Posts

The RFC Chaplains are an absolute constant Blessing and Encouragement to us at both the Local and National Races out here in Div.7.

Jim Jack's sage bible based advise in particular has been a lighthouse in the sometimes fog of my walk thru this life.

Thanks to all the Chaplains.....We love each and every you!!

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 01-15-2018 at 09:33 PM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #25
Steve Polhill

Liked 262 Times in 74 Posts

Because I hate Money and spare time
Old 01-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #26
michael mercer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
....'cause they don't have model airplane contests every week..
Would that be: control line, RC, free flight, rubber powered, or static display?
michael mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 PM   #27
D.Johns

Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts

I just wanna go fast.....
2014 Cobra Jet FS/XX #3345 STK/SS

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel...25886327426822
D.Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #28
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,449 Times in 1,954 Posts

Control Line Rat Racing
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #29
Curt Rees

Liked 226 Times in 47 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Drag Racers, Why do we race ?

'cause I always wanted to be a politician and spend money foolishly......

Curt Rees
Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #30
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Smile Re: Drag Racers, Why do we race ?

At least once a year, usually in the middle of summer on a very hot day I find myself sitting inside a car with no roll-down windows, in an all black interior, in a full fire suit and I ask myself why am I doing this? For the time and money invested, I could be sitting on a boat right now out on the water somewhere with a cold drink in my hand. Why am I sitting in a trailer with no AC for sometimes hours on end and sometimes away from my family to make my next pass?

For me, I found the answer is the competition. I like to compete, period. I like the challenge of improving my car, and myself as a driver. Whether I'm foot braking or throttle stop racing, they appeal equally to me because they each present their own challenges to overcome. The speed has almost become secondary and a fringe benefit, because it seems that no matter how fast I go, I eventually become used to it. The money is nice, and can be a contributing factor to distance traveled to race or duration of a race I'll attend(1 day vs. 3 days). Trophies are nice but they don't factor into where or when I'll race.

I never understand why other racers will go out of their way to bash or look down at other racers who race in a different class or type of drag racing. Its all competition, just in a different flavor. Whether its finding more HP/maximizing your combo, finding consistencies in your program/yourself, or a little bit of all, we all compete with ourselves, and with our fellow racers to become better. From there on its a matter of preference and budget.

Winning a race, regardless of the scale is the highest of the highs and it validates the long hours spent in the garage maintaining/fixing/improving the car/tow rig, the time spent analyzing my program and sometimes the hours in between rounds. That is what keeps me coming back. In addition, losing a race that 9 other times based on my performance alone would have normally resulted in a win, but didn't because my opponent was better than me, motivates me to keep improving. That, coupled with some lucky rounds here and there. If/when I lose that motivation for competition, you'll be most likely to find me on a boat somewhere.