HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tow vehicle maintenance

My 97 GMC Suburban 4wd 2500 is in need of a few things. I guess it is that time again for a little maintenance to keep it going for another 104k miles. The brake lines are rusted pretty extensively to the point where I am going to replace them. What company have you dealt with that produces OEM lines that have been reputable, quality and moderately priced? I have checked out Inline Tube and Classic. Both seem fairly reputable. Classic only offers the lines in stainless at $299 while Inline offers both steel and stainless ($219 and $299). I don't quite understand the rust issue on the lines and not the rest of the vehicle. All panels, frame, etc are good. The lines have faulted.

My next items are the shocks. I am finding that I am driving the 'Burb more with out towing now than I used to. The shocks have about 40k and several years on them and I am looking for a more "comfortable" ride without being beat up on the potholes and bumps around here. What shocks have you all used that you would utilize again that give you a more comfortable ride?

I would appreciate any insight you might have for these items.

Thanks in advance.
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 390 Times in 84 Posts
Default Re: Tow vehicle maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Smith Jr View Post
My 97 GMC Suburban 4wd 2500 is in need of a few things. I guess it is that time again for a little maintenance to keep it going for another 104k miles. The brake lines are rusted pretty extensively to the point where I am going to replace them. What company have you dealt with that produces OEM lines that have been reputable, quality and moderately priced? I have checked out Inline Tube and Classic. Both seem fairly reputable. Classic only offers the lines in stainless at $299 while Inline offers both steel and stainless ($219 and $299). I don't quite understand the rust issue on the lines and not the rest of the vehicle. All panels, frame, etc are good. The lines have faulted.

My next items are the shocks. I am finding that I am driving the 'Burb more with out towing now than I used to. The shocks have about 40k and several years on them and I am looking for a more "comfortable" ride without being beat up on the potholes and bumps around here. What shocks have you all used that you would utilize again that give you a more comfortable ride?

I would appreciate any insight you might have for these items.

Thanks in advance.
We used Inline Tube to replace the rusted lines on our 99 Silverado 1500 PU, and I know of a few others that went that same route as well. Bending and flaring are a PITA, The Inline tube kit was well worth the $$$$$.

Be advised that its kinda tricky with the ABS system located under the drivers side floor. We did one line at a time. The Inline tube kit is designed to be installed during a restoration. Unless you remove the bed, some body mounts and part of the nose, you'll have to re-route some of the lines once you get the old ones out!
All done it was well worth the time and money!
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Greg for the reply. I ordered the brake lines yesterday from Inline.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Tim Quintin/Cole s/g

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

^^ great! inline tube is the best!
Tim Quintin/Cole s/g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In Line Tube was ordered and my buddy installed them at his shop. No issues, all the parts were there, great business to deal with and I probably will have a need to do more business in the future when I restart the restoration on the Chevy II.

Still have not figured out the best new shocks for it. Any insight would be appreciated.