HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #11
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 235 Times in 102 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk
Default Re: Lighter wheels = any E.T reduction?

I`d have to agree with Jim on this as well. I`ve done back to back runs with steel wheels and Centerlines with the same size tire and saw no noticeable improvement on a V/SA Buick Skyhawk or Skylark.

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #12
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I went from four Stock steel wheels to four light aluminum wheels on my '56 Chevy Jr Stocker, and was disappointed to find zero change in ET or MPH.

Same results from going to an aluminum spool, lightened ring gear & drilled axles on my C/MP '69 Camaro a few years later. I have wasted a lot (to me) of money testing "trick" parts over the years.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 08-14-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 315 Times in 100 Posts

The further away from the centerline of rotation the greater benefit of rotating weight reduction..

Remove 1 pound of rotating weight from the OD of the flywheel vs. a 1 pound reduction from gun drilled axles.....

It's called moment of inertia.

Just sayin'
Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #14
Wayne Scraba

Liked 147 Times in 42 Posts
Smile Your Results May Vary...L-O-L

I maybe shouldn't wade in here because I really don't have a dog in the fight, but on the other hand, perhaps this info can help someone:

Decades ago, when I worked for the late great Super Stock & Drag Illustrated, I penned a tech article on the effects of reducing wheel weight. Sheldon Gecker (most here know of Sheldon) had run some well documented A-B-A tests of wheel weight on his Super Gas car. He went as far as having some heavy wheels made (same configuration as his light wheels), ran them and then switched to lighter wheels and then back to heavy wheels. The car definitely picked up with the light wheels. Keep in mind this was a relatively light, relatively high horsepower car. If I recall correctly, the goal was to improve the vehicle reaction and short times. Obviously for Sheldon, it worked.

On a similar note, shortly after that I was personally involved in another magazine driveshaft test on a very well sorted, consistent mid to high class NHRA Stock Eliminator car. I won't mention the racer's name, but he is smart, seasoned and meticulous. A stock DOM shaft was swapped for a lightweight (illegal of course...L-O-L) aluminum shaft and then back to the DOM shaft (typical A-B-A test). Conditions were monitored closely and it was all accomplished in a short period of time. The car definitely picked up with the light shaft.

My take by looking at the comments here is that the power and weight of the car can make a considerable difference. As a result, your results may vary...L-O-L
Wayne Scraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #15
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts
Default Re: Your Results May Vary...L-O-L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Scraba View Post
I maybe shouldn't wade in here because I really don't have a dog in the fight, but on the other hand, perhaps this info can help someone:

Decades ago, when I worked for the late great Super Stock & Drag Illustrated, I penned a tech article on the effects of reducing wheel weight. Sheldon Gecker (most here know of Sheldon) had run some well documented A-B-A tests of wheel weight on his Super Gas car. He went as far as having some heavy wheels made (same configuration as his light wheels), ran them and then switched to lighter wheels and then back to heavy wheels. The car definitely picked up with the light wheels. Keep in mind this was a relatively light, relatively high horsepower car. If I recall correctly, the goal was to improve the vehicle reaction and short times. Obviously for Sheldon, it worked.

On a similar note, shortly after that I was personally involved in another magazine driveshaft test on a very well sorted, consistent mid to high class NHRA Stock Eliminator car. I won't mention the racer's name, but he is smart, seasoned and meticulous. A stock DOM shaft was swapped for a lightweight (illegal of course...L-O-L) aluminum shaft and then back to the DOM shaft (typical A-B-A test). Conditions were monitored closely and it was all accomplished in a short period of time. The car definitely picked up with the light shaft.

My take by looking at the comments here is that the power and weight of the car can make a considerable difference. As a result, your results may vary...L-O-L
I remember reading a similar article on driveshafts,was the test done on a Buick?.I recall there being no measurable gain between the Alum.and DOM.There was a fair gain using a metal matrix $haft. gsa612

Last edited by gsa612; 08-14-2018 at 10:22 PM.
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #16
RJ Sledge

Liked 247 Times in 78 Posts

My old friend Charlie Ford told me over 30 years ago that "If everything I bought that was suppose to pick me up a Tenth or so was true.....I'd be going zero right now!"

Ain't it the truth......lol

RJ
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
Wayne Scraba

Liked 147 Times in 42 Posts
Smile Re: Your Results May Vary...L-O-L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsa612 View Post
I remember reading a similar article on driveshafts,was the test done on a Buick?.I recall there being no measurable gain between the Alum.and DOM.There was a fair gain using a metal matrix $haft. gsa612
Yes....L-O-L...but we never used an aluminum shaft. The test was steel versus metal matrix aluminum back to steel.

Last edited by Wayne Scraba; 08-14-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Wayne Scraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #18
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

[QUOTE=RJ Sledge;569877]My old friend Charlie Ford told me over 30 years ago that "If everything I bought that was suppose to pick me up a Tenth or so was true.....I'd be going zero right now!"

Awesome quote...
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts
Default Re: Your Results May Vary...L-O-L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Scraba View Post

I tested DOM vs alum driveshafts, both were 3" dia with the same size ujoints and yoke, DOM was 13#, alum was 10#. Tested them back to back and zip difference. I didn't even add the 3# back into the car. I cross the finishline at 9400 so I figured this would for sure help, no such luck.

I would suggest that some of the tests discussed above were in cars that were overweight. If that's the case, go for it but if you are having to add lead back in to compensate, not so much to be gained. As I said previously, I would still buy these parts if I was building a new car, just that I realize that there is very minimal value in them.

I'll be at Seattle this weekend, we can continue the debate there.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6029
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #20
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts

I guess we have all bought a lot of stuff that was supposed to be good for a tenth and were disappointed.

However a long time ago Paul Forte told us one of his 904 transmissions would be a tenth quicker than the 727 we were running and he was right.

I am guessing about half of that was less static weight and the other half was reduced rotating weight.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote