HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 09-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Uncrated
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Nova weight reduction program

During the upcoming off-season, I plan to remove some front-end weight from my 1970 Nova. One area of reduction will be the factory control arms, another will be brakes, and a third will be a fiberglass front end.

My questions are who makes a nice, lightweight control arm designed for a coil over shock and spring. In addition, should I be looking at the QA-1 shock that uses the tapered spring? On the other hand, should I mount a conventional coil over system by building a custom upper mount?

I would also like to hear you experience about brake kits.

My small block Nova runs mid 10?s at 3200 pounds and after the weight reduction program; I expect it to weight about 2800 with driver. This work is in preparation for some Super Street races during the 08 season.

Thanks for your feedback
Larry Woodfin
Uncrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
Mike Hedger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Nova weight reduction program

Larry, I have to start by saying I am not a fan of the QA1 shock not to say they are not a good product I like Koni or Afco for a mid range priced shock. On the control arms try calling Afco and see what they have to offer they build allot of drag and circle track stuff and a control arm has no idea if it is drag or circle racing once you alighn the front end. Brakes I like either the Strange or Willwood 4 piston for a car your weight they are both nice peices and will go on with out any mods.

Hope this helps, Mike
Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Uncrated
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike,

Thanks, it is not the first time I have heard the QA 1 comment. I will follow up about your suggestion.

Larry
Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

400 lbs is a ton of weight to take off without some serious work done. I have a 72 Nova backhalf that weighs in at 3150 with glass hood, deck , front and rear bumpers. You didnt mention whether its a bbc or sb, I'm bbc/glide , if your sb you may have a shot. I have stock doors with glass. I have seen some nice liteweight tubular stuff done By Fat Boys.

gary federico
GaryGoFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Uncrated
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary,

it is a small block and I might be too optimistic about removing 400 pounds. However, I think 300 removal is realistic and anything beyond that will be a bonus.

And are you talking about Fat Man Racing?

Larry
Old 09-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Red face Re: Nova weight reduction program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncrated View Post
Gary,

it is a small block and I might be too optimistic about removing 400 pounds. However, I think 300 removal is realistic and anything beyond that will be a bonus.

And are you talking about Fat Man Racing?

Larry
Fat Boyz chassis is what I'm talking about but since my last post , My bud likes this site

autofabracecars.com, they have or make on site many front chassis parts you can use.
GaryGoFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Steve Reynolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Larry,
My '71 Nova with sbc weigh's 2814 lbs. with chrome moly back half, f/glass front bumper,hood &deck lid.
Stock windshield, lexan sides and back, stock control arms,stock rear bumper, & my 175# butt in the seat.
We could lighten it a bit more, but Super Street has to be 2800# so no need to go further, unless I wanted to remove more from the nose and put it back on the rear.
Good luck this winter.

Steve Reynolds
S/ST 6608
Steve Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
Uncrated
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Steve,

pm sent

Larry
Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

I don't know if these are good or not, but I saw them on Jeg's and looked at them as a potential replacement on my Corvette. They do have them for your Nova:

http://www.globalwest.net/TLC%20Drag...uspension..htm

They're about $500 for a pair. Maybe somebody else can chime in as to how good they are, but it seems like they were made for drag racing applications.

Hope this helps...Good luck...
Old 09-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
T Hall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We installed a set of QA1 s on our s-10 with Global West tubular arms. I did not actually weigh them, but I do not think there was that much difference in weight. The QA1s were OK, I did have to get a different size spring than what they called for.
I was not inpressed with the overall change of all these piece's considering the cost $. I probably would not do it again.
We have Wilwood brakes. They are great. Many people have the Aerospace that look great, but I have heard MANY complaints on the instalation.
400 lbs is probably reasonable since you are changing to a glass front.
Good luck
T Hall is offline   Reply With Quote