HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 390 Times in 84 Posts
Default Re: to vacuum pump, or not to vacuum pump, that is the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZMANRACING View Post
a question about that electric vacuume pump. if it pulls 5-7 in of vacuume. why doesn't everybody use it?

the cost seems to be alot less at 500 vice the belt drivien ones which take you around 700-800 soup to nuts. why isn't everybody saleing there belt drivien pump, to get the electric piece. also, where has this tech been all these years. what do the pro stock guys use? in other words whats the bonus with going with the electric.

carlos mendes
s/st 1739
I can't answer that Carlos, however for us it works.
There's no mandrel's pully's or pumps up front to worry about!
We just drain the tank & get most of the moisture out!
Got Milk?
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #12
Jim Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't had any luck with the GM electric smog pumps. I've used both the old Lt/LS1 (395.00) and the new S10 (550.00). They do draw 5-7" of vacuum at idle, but not down track. They worked well as a evac system..(not for power gain).for a while. Less than a season. I've been running them for 3 years but I am going to a belt driven for reliability.

They do make a bad azz electric pump that uses Dewalt 24 volt battery packs...but they are over a grand.The parasitic loss from a belt drive is very small...if your on alcohol or your running low tension rings, it's hard to beat a good belt system.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THANKS JIM, for you views. if i understand you correctly. its read to me as if the pump pulls the vacuum at rest or going to and from the lanes. so the world famous 20 extra HP dosen't apply. but, it will "suck" the moisture out of your oil and could be used as a nice tool prior to putting the car away after a day of racing.

would that be correct?

assumming your answer is yes. then i think i have no choice but to deal with the economics and trouble assoiciated with a belt drivien pump. not so much for the horsepower gains. but to help it live longer. since it seems that my engine builder did put low tension rings in this deal with gas ported pistons.

so thanks to all to gave there input. now all i need to do is go make some money. i guess about 1000 will do it. includes pump, pully, mandral, the the world famous and might i add expensive, braided hose and fittings.

carlos mendes
s/st 1739
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
Mike Hedger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Carlos look at some of the kits out there. Reher & Morrison has one that has everything you need to do one for around 750.00 or so the last time I looked. You can get away with a three vane to save a little money and Granger sells an adjustable relief valve for around 25.00 or so.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
Greg Barsamian
VIP Member

Liked 390 Times in 84 Posts

Kaye Racing Products sells the Moroso belt drivin pumps as well as the GM style 12-volt pump.
Check out the site, www.Kayeracingproducts.com
Greg Barsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
dak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have used the factory vacumme pump. I only use it for the moisture removal from the oil.. I did eat a couple of pumps up and then I found an article on what you have to do, to modify on the pump...No problems now.. The best thing about the electric pumps is you can mount it just about anywhere... If anyone wants the info on what to modify on the factory pumps ...send me an email at dak697@shaw.ca I'll send it off to you ...takes about 15 minutes to do it

Dean
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #17
Jim Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Carlos,
Yes that has been my experience. It also helps if you have a little blow-by to keep the valve covers clean.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #18
Bayou Shoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At the beginning of the year I switched to Alky with my BBC, and I was scared of all the stories I heard. I got an APD carb (because everyone said they do not milk the oil), and I was told by several big engine companies that i did not need a Vacuum pump. So I went racing with out one. Oil never Milked, I got the temp up to 180* to 200* and shut the engine down, pulled the breathers as well. Never had any Milky contamination in it at all. So from what i was told you do not need one, but I plan on getting one just for the hell of it, I ordered the Aerospace kit from Jegs and it was 735.00 witch I don't see as that bad. A good friend of mine has been running his motor for over 350 passes with nothing done to it at all, not even bearings or plugs. He has no vacuum pump but he does put a 1.5 hp shop vack in one valve cover after he has pulled the breathers and lets it run for about 10 minutes before he loads the car up in the trailer.
Bayou Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote