HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
gremlin1945

Default Connecting Highway

All of the recent bitching and moaning is starting to get stale.
Just to lighten things up I'd like to hear from those who frequented the following Friday,Saturday night circuit in NYC.
Connecting Highway
Laural Hill Blvd.
Francis Lewis Blvd
Review Ave-Van Iderstien fat rendering co. stunk lik hell
The Conduit (150th St)
Columbia St-Red Hook Bklyn
1st Ave.-Bush Terminal
Fountain Ave-not one of my favorites
Mitchells-Roller skate waitresses
This was in the late 60's early 70's.I got my first ticket one night at Connecting.Had a new
1969 VW bug and cops caught me racing another VW(he had Calif. plates,didn't pay ticket).The
cop gave us speeding ticket (55 in a 50)
instead of "Speed contest".
Was there one night when they ran a front engine dragster on highway.
Anyoneremember John D'Andrea?Had a 1970 Gremlin with a 390 AMC motor,won alot there.
How abouttheFish Kid or George he Greek?
Shaffroff had more than afew motors running around then.
The heavy duty races went off after 2AM down at the Conduit.Bklyn Heavy etc.Alotof $ changed hands
Just a few memories from misspent youth.The rest is blank.

Ed F.
NHRA #15
IHRA #1945
T/SA
Old 09-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Connecting Highway

Hey Eddie.
We were at all of the above. We raced "Brooklyn Heavy", the Smallwood Bros, Fast Eddie, Maxie,, George Elliot etc.
Used to race to get enough money to go to the nhra national events LOL All the traveling we did years ago and neither one of us had a drivers license. Taken away for street racing. I got popped twice in the same night at first avenue by the same cop. He asked me why I didn't leave after the first ticket (speed contest) I told him I had to make some money to pay for the ticket LOL.
Those were crazy days, but fun.
art leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I remember when Bruce Springsteen (didn't recognize him at the time) was hanging out at the Burger King on the Conduit in ENY. We thoght they were IRS agents looking into the money that was bet. LOL
Rember the Crossbay Dart? we made five figures off them in one night.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
gremlin1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
I remember when Bruce Springsteen (didn't recognize him at the time) was hanging out at the Burger King on the Conduit in ENY. We thoght they were IRS agents looking into the money that was bet. LOL
Rember the Crossbay Dart? we made five figures off them in one night.
Artie;
I dont remember that particular Dart butI do remembera Hemi Dart at Columbia St. pier.They called the guy the barber.ColumbiaSt. was where my 55 Chevy was pretty much destroyed bykids inRed Hook park.I parked it in front of the entrance,so that when the cops came I wouldn't get a spectator ticket (Loitering).One Sat. night the cretis rolled an 8' utilityco. cable reel into the passenger sde.I sold the car and that money went to buy my wifes engagement
ring.I look at that ring now and just sigh.(Car wouldhave more monetary value,but after 35 years the wife was the better deal).

Ed
Old 09-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
gremlin1945

Scott;
Probably the best part about those times were that you could actually park these cars in the street.I grew up in Manhattan in Greenwich Village and parked these cars on the street in this order:
1960 Pontiac CatalinaW/a 389 hydra matic
1969 VW bug- stinger exh.-Empi mags
1956 Nomad-red/white w/r/w r&p interior,straight axle,440 mopar,727.
1956 chev 2 dr. s/w handyman special,265,
auto,brown on brown.
1955 chev 210-283,4bbl,4speed,blackr&p interior.
1966 Mustang notchback,awful green,289,2 bbl,3 speed stick,factory air.
Howlong would they last in todays world?

Ed

I get some good stories from Ken all the time.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Those were the days.
Scott I still didn't have a garage in the 90's I put my FWD stockers together in the street in front of my house
There was more crying and sandbagging back then than you realized. We didn't care if you came with a Volkswagrn with 4 flat tires we always argued for a spot.Those guys on pinks are amatuers when it came to begging for a spot. LOL
Back then we used my 440 wedge motor in about 9 different bodies. Some of the cars we beat became our partners LOL Shep from Chrysler told us We would have made some of the Chevy racers proud. LOL. We also did a SS/A type hemi motor that we ran in our 71 Charger RT.The only place we raced that was 150th Street or the Willowbrook expressway in Staten Island. That motor we lent to a superstock racer at E'town one year and it was within a tenth of the 2 bullits he grenaded earlier that day.
Our 71 charger was an original factory hemi car, I believe the last one to roll down the assembly line. And I sold the shell for $300. One of my many "MISTAKES"

Last edited by art leong; 09-16-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Paul Precht

Liked 223 Times in 88 Posts

Hi Art, Just how fast was that Charger. I remember in the 70s you beat my friends 10.70 Valliant like it was a go cart. Remember all the big money grudge runs out at West Hampton at the end of the day. They usually ended with a few brawls and a knifing or two. All the cars had no time written on the window. Those were the days, Paul.
Paul Precht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Paul. I remember racing a grey primed valiant, was that the one? I think we got 1 and the break. We hooked up a switch to the brake lights to remain on when we left. Very Very effective if you were sitting in front with the break of the tires. People would key on those huge tail lights, and see them getting smaller LOL.
We never made an all out timed run with the charger. But the motor went10.18 in a SS/AA car in July (90+ degrees)
Old 09-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin1945 View Post
I grew up in Manhattan in Greenwich Village
Ed
That explains a lot. BTW, the first bar I was in was the Back Fence on Bleeker Street.
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
gremlin1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by david ring View Post
That explains a lot. BTW, the first bar I was in was the Back Fence on Bleeker Street.
Dave;
Is that good or bad.My favorite place was and is John's pizzaria on Bleeker.Arturo's on W. Houston was a close second.

Ed