HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 179 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: Best Vehicle or Truck for Towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
From my personal experience, I had a Dodge Ram 3500, single wheel, powered by the 5.7 Hemi.

I towed different types of trailers, including an open trailer several times.
One typical issue when towing with gas engines is the lack of torque when going uphill. I have friends that have towed with both GM 5.3 and Dodge gas 6.4 engines and they have all said the same.

When I switched to a Cummins Diesel Dodge Ram, it was night and day pulling uphill, with the exhaust brake, there is no effort while going downhill and you have much better control when braking.

As regards to reliability, torque and power, the Cummings engine outperforms both the Duramax and Ford engine. This is not only from my own experience, but also from other racers that tow and from friends with diesel shops.
Thanks for the feed back...
My wagon has a 5.7 LT1. Added 1.6 roller tip rockers and a tune.
Did well towing over the PA and NY steep hills.
Held at near full throttle 70mph with temperatures were climbing.
May install a 383 if I keep the car or just add 3.42 or 3.73 gears next year.

Is the Cummings is an old design modernized or a whole new engine design?

Dan
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #12
Tar Heel

Dan,

If I were in your shoes I'd investigate at a minimum a 2500 with a Duramax. Get a crew cab and your wife can drive it. A 4x4 is a nice option too. That way if you ever upgrade to an enclosed trailer you won't need to upgrade your truck. No sense in buying a new one now that won't quite do the job.

For what it's worth we bought our first diesel last fall. Picked up a '15 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 4WD. I hope to never tow with another truck again. This truck is a dream!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
Dan,

If I were in your shoes I'd investigate at a minimum a 2500 with a Duramax. Get a crew cab and your wife can drive it. A 4x4 is a nice option too. That way if you ever upgrade to an enclosed trailer you won't need to upgrade your truck. No sense in buying a new one now that won't quite do the job.

For what it's worth we bought our first diesel last fall. Picked up a '15 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 4WD. I hope to never tow with another truck again. This truck is a dream!
Good to hear from you...
Problem with the 2500 or 3500.
Maria would not drive the truck that big.
Do like the Duramax and Silverado.
Still looking at the Canyon Denali to replace the wagon.
Should do just fine!
I am not in a hurry.

D
Old 09-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
Tar Heel

Yes, we love the Silverado with the Duramax. But ... ask me one day when it needs an injector, turbo, fuel pump ... and I have to sell plasma and blood to pay for it. Might have a different answer then.

I'm in the same boat as you. Wendy won't drive this truck; especially since it's a DRW. Takes a little getting used to. Do this Dan. Take her to a dealership and drive a non-dually 2500HD and see what she thinks. They're not much larger than a 1500 and it's a really nice feeling sitting up higher with the better visibility. You'll never know until she drives one. With the new Duramax coming out this fall there are some good deals to be had on low mileage LML Duramax packages.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
Yes, we love the Silverado with the Duramax. But ... ask me one day when it needs an injector, turbo, fuel pump ... and I have to sell plasma and blood to pay for it. Might have a different answer then.

I'm in the same boat as you. Wendy won't drive this truck; especially since it's a DRW. Takes a little getting used to. Do this Dan. Take her to a dealership and drive a non-dually 2500HD and see what she thinks. They're not much larger than a 1500 and it's a really nice feeling sitting up higher with the better visibility. You'll never know until she drives one. With the new Duramax coming out this fall there are some good deals to be had on low mileage LML Duramax packages.

Maria does not even like driving the wagon.
Will always try.

D
Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #16
brett3533

Liked 33 Times in 9 Posts

You may consider a new or late model 2wd suburban 1500 with the 3.42 axle and tow pkg. It may not be much longer than your full size wagon now. If you install a Hensley hitch you would never know the open trailer is behind you. Also with the room in the back you could bring a cooler and chairs to relax between rounds. GM offered 12 pass vans with a 6.0 that are on the shorter chassis that will tow well too, once again the Hensley hitch is going to keep the sway and handling at its best and your wife may do some driving back and forth to the track too
Old 01-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #17
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

Depending on how many races you attend, maybe rent a truck. Enterprise Truck Rental rents crew cab and dually Ford,Dodge and Chevy diesel pickups, and they will let you tow your trailer with it. I work part time for the Enterprise wholesale division, and rented one when I took my car to MPR. You could probably rent one several times a month for what a monthly payment would be for a new one.
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #18
nickh

Liked 211 Times in 92 Posts

Dan, I have a 2007 Ford F350 6.0 LWB SRW 4x4 Lariat. I know many are going to pipe in here and beat the ford to pieces. If you look at a 6.0 only look at 2007's. Have had great luck with mine adders done to it, 4" down pipe going into 5" mandrel bent straight pipe, EGR delete, aftermarket turbo, CAI, 4.30 gears. Get 18 to 19 towing open trailer & 17 with enclosed. Empty highway get 24 to 25 mpg. It will pull anything I put behind it.
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #19
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Wow this is good information.
Have upgraded the Trans in the Wagon.
Went to PerformaBuilt and got a 4L60E with a truck case and all the mods.

However still looking at the GM Denali Canyon Turbo 4.
Watched all the YouTube videos.
It is a huge step up over earlier versions.
It would be a truck Maria could drive.

Do love the idea of a 6.0 L Chevy or GM van.
You can get those fixed up nice.
Nice enough to to sleep in.

Nick the Ford 350 is a great truck.
May rent one of the larger truck for the races as jHeath suggest..

Last edited by Dan Fahey; 02-07-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #20
Curt Rees

Liked 226 Times in 47 Posts

Anyone towing an enclosed trailer with a Ram EcoDiesel?

Thanks

Curt Rees