HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
blkjack

Liked 51 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Could Super Modified been different if?

Maybe it was the demise of Modified Eliminator itself that made the "wheels come off" the class. Those who chose to run Comp needed upgrades ($$$) to keep up with others running Comp.
If you think the original concept of this class would work today you ARE dreaming.
blkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

The DEMISE of Modified was caused by NHRAs actions just like Pro Stock Truck---Modified always had great participation no matter where a race was !!!!! Comp at the time was somewhat similiar to what ya have now altereds/dragsters/funny cars etc... BUT without the full bodied vehicles---Super mod today would make it IF ya leave out the front wheel drive conversions to rear wheel drive configuration and maybe put a year age limit on those vehicles----also no sheet intake manifolds /restrict cylinder heads to only a few part numbers per OEM manufacturer/tire size restrictions and liteweight body parts like maybe a fiberglass hood only-- either a small or big block with a single un altered 4 bbl carb size determined by class on a cast alum intake manifold/ no fuel injection either OEM or aftermarket / with either an automatic or stick trans and slicks that have to fit in unaltered wheelwells-- might work ???
FED 387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

The original rules we ran under after they restricted C/SM to inline valves and before they killed off Modified Eliminator were fine if they had just left them alone.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
blkjack

Liked 51 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
The original rules we ran under after they restricted C/SM to inline valves and before they killed off Modified Eliminator were fine if they had just left them alone.
You...are CORRECT....Sir!
blkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was with Fadely at 99 % of those races, some peoples memory seem be off as they get older! The only place the door panel ever came off the car was at Edgewater WCS meet in June of 1977 and only ! (ONE) head was ever pulled at ony teardown period and that was at Dave Danish requist, he was filling in for Marty Barrett who was sick at that race. Marty was still Div III tech director. NO ONE EVER PUT UP $$$ FOR ANY TEAR DOWN ON THAT CAR FROM 1975 TO THE END OF 1978 WHEN EDWARDS BOUGHT THE CAR! If you have any questions you should contact Fadely @ affadely@mindspring.com or I can provide his phone #. THERE IS ALOT OF BULL $S on the information bellow!
Ralph
Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
Well I had it kinda right hell it was about 30-35 years ago-we pitted next to Vogelin at the Winters first big race for that car---it was basically a car straight from a used car lot with motor/trans/wheels added-only ran Ihra part of one season-we ran M/P anyway and tore down Fadely every chance we got ,more of a harassment kinda thing than actually looking for anything--hell we new he was legal just snooping--we made him take off door upholstery panels /pull a head on one side to check for porting and check the stroke on the other side---

Last edited by BlueOval Ralph; 01-03-2011 at 11:42 AM.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

I guess ya dont remember T christain ? I was at Edgewater and remember that teardown Pat Sullivan put up the $$$ and we all stood around laughing about it too!!!
FED 387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and it was Jim Stevens, Fadely, Jim Elean for Div 5 Rickey never ran NHRA S/M only time he came to NHRA was in D/MP with 2 4 barrels at INDY can not remeber if it was 77 or 78!

Heads were ported 1 inch down from valve seat and 1/4 inch intake port match.
Carbs were were never allowed to have Air Horn milled in NHRA
1975 only one 1 class A/SM in 76 it went to 3 A, B & C

In 1976 you could run Canted Valve in C/SM as Fadely Ran Div 3 that way most of the year

Quote:
The "original intent" of Super Mod was to provide an entry level set of classes to compete in Modified Eliminator without the cost of Tunnel rams/multiple trick carbs or ported heads-extensive engine/body modifications etc

These were the basic rules as I remember them

There were 3 classes of V8 engines

A--big blocks only
B-canted valve head engines-basically small block Ford
C-inline valve head engines-all other V8 engines

Following were the basic rules

All had carb restrictions

tire size restrictions

limited to a fiberglass hood no other liteweight body parts unless originally OEM factory equipped

Full interior/exterior in all cars

Tires(rear) basically had to fit in the wheelwells 10.0 or 10.5 if I remember

Engines had to fit in the engine compartment without extensive massaging of sheetmetal-Factory engine had to match body used (ford/ford) etc

Stock valve jobs NO porting/polishing of heads

Minimum weight per class restrictions

No Vegas/Pintos little cars basically ChevyII/Nova--Firebird--Camaro--Mustang---Maverick--Aspen--Volare --cudas/darts etc. type cars

That was it!!!!

Worked great until Rickie Smith, MikeEdwards and Arlen Fadely showed up with the Mavericks next thing ya know they allowed port matching then milled air horns 5 speeds etc. and ya know the rest of the story there was no more ECONO in super Modified.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tony or Pat never put up any $$$ other wise Fadely would have got It! After the tear down Danish did ask Tony and Sizemore if there was any thing else they wanted to see. If you were were there you should have remeber Tom Rider help Fadely as he went down there with US!!!

Quote:
I guess ya dont remember T christain ? I was at Edgewater and remember that teardown Pat Sullivan put up the $$$ and we all stood around laughing about it too!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

an eleven second car ended up winner when Fadely was tossed
Mike Urley of Urley Brothers fame who passed away a couple years ago down in Flordia he was from Seymour Ind and a very goog friend of Glidden's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Some of the rules listed are wrong.
A, B & C were lbs/cubic inch.
Seems like a was 8.5 lbs, B was 9.5 lbs and C was 10.5 lbs.

A/SM did not have to be a big block. I took a shot at it with a 400" sbc.

B/SM did not have to be canted valve engines, still lbs/cubic inch. Lots of 331" sbc there.

C/SM was allowed canted valves one year. Fadley won C/SM at Indy that year but was bounced due to a displacement error. His crank was not what he ordered and he failed to measure it. Something like one cubic inch big at tear down. Voglen should have won. Fadley took him out early. I was dead late in the class semis, and an eleven second car ended up winner when Fadley was tossed. Rick Voglin was robbed. Next year C/SM was inline valves only. Seemed like C/SM had like 30 or so cars at Indy that year?

IHRA had Super Mod as a heads up eliminator at 10 lbs. Looser head rules, 11.5" tires and 850 carbs instead of NHRA's 750 cfm, 10.5" tire rules. Any GM head castings allowed. Rickey Smith pretty much ruled there.

NHRA allowed certain number 750 cfm carbs, pretty much same as SS rules there, but the choke butterfly & shaft could be removed.

Cylinder heads had to be assembly line available castings, no "Bowtie", "Turbo", etc. Porting allowed was chambers, and 1" below the bottom of the valve seats in the bowls, and 1/2" back from the intake flange for port matching. Any valve size.
There was a difference in heads. I had four sets from big name shops doing Modified heads. Won't name them all, but Lee Shepherd's were nearly a tenth quicker than anybody else's. They showed much better on my flow bench too. Shows how criticle the valve job & seat/bowl area is.

Btw, the Fadley & Mike Edwards car is one and the same.

Last edited by BlueOval Ralph; 01-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #20
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Sounds right to me.