HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-05-2020, 04:05 PM   #21
JakeB23

Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: question, G body 7.5 rear life

Where or Who do you guys recommend for a 12 bolt replacement? Moser/Strange? Thinking of ordering a bolt in 12 bolt for a 4th Gen Camaro... I'm thinking it would be best to just order the whole ball of wax at one time..
JakeB23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #22
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 652 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB23 View Post
Where or Who do you guys recommend for a 12 bolt replacement? Moser/Strange? Thinking of ordering a bolt in 12 bolt for a 4th Gen Camaro... I'm thinking it would be best to just order the whole ball of wax at one time..
Double check when ordering. We shopped around and told every person that was selling Moser what exactly we wanted. One company was cheaper so we went with them. Come to find out after we received unit some items we requested were not on housing assembly. ( NOT Moser fault)Complained and showed exactly what we told them. They said we paid for what we received. So we had to order the other items to make it 100% ready to bolt in. I think it was no studs, wrong axle bearings, and something else.
It was for a 78 Camaro. Went in car with no problem. Everything fit well.

Last edited by Jeff Stout; 10-05-2020 at 04:42 PM. Reason: more
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #23
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

[QUOTE=Jerry Terry;625161]You are right Greg the G Vans were horrible with rear end howling new or used years ago ive had race car rear ends that didnt howl as bad as them. going back to the original question go ahead and buy the good stuff now for a 12 bolt and then no worries.

The G-van rear axle howl was always kinda figured to be attributable to the fact that the operator was driving a huge "speaker" down the road. Or maybe better referred-to as a megaphone. Pickups probably had noise too, but you just couldn't hear it in the cab.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #24
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: question, G body 7.5 rear life

[QUOTE=nhramnl;625230]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Terry View Post
You are right Greg the G Vans were horrible with rear end howling new or used years ago ive had race car rear ends that didnt howl as bad as them. going back to the original question go ahead and buy the good stuff now for a 12 bolt and then no worries.

The G-van rear axle howl was always kinda figured to be attributable to the fact that the operator was driving a huge "speaker" down the road. Or maybe better referred-to as a megaphone. Pickups probably had noise too, but you just couldn't hear it in the cab.
The pick up had a separate body/frame construction so any noises created by a ring and pinion wouldn't have transferred through the body bushings between the frame and the cab. All the cars that were notorious for rear end noise were unit body as well. The van rear end and the truck were the same at that time(mid-late '70's, ) and they held up pretty well, but there could have been a lapse in the quality of the set ups. I don't know how they initially set up rear ends at the factory, but it could have needed some design engineering. My late aunt from decades ago bought a new 64 Nova wagon with a 283, a Glide and power steering and brakes. It was the first year for the 283 in the Nova and the first 10 bolt 8.20 rear end. It had a rear end howl at some speeds as well, and Novas had leaf springs attached to the unit body like the vans did. I don't remember anybody telling me that Chevelles of that era had that problem, but Chevelles always had a full frame. The Nova she had came out about 10 years prior to my entry into the world of car repairs and service. i did wish at one time I had the original block out of that car!!
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-06-2020, 09:24 PM   #25
jmantle

Liked 135 Times in 66 Posts

This isn't directly related but when I built the Pacer I put a V8 AMC 20 rear end in it, 8 7/8 ring gear. Thinking putting the original 6 cylinder rear end in it would pick it up, I put together an AMC 15 (Dana 35) with the 7 9/16 ring gear. Results were I didn't see any improvement in the et. I haven't broken the Dana 35 but I didn't see any gain. Same ratio in both cases.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:18 PM   #26
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
In a G body stocker weighing about 3200 with a 305 stocker package, running low 12's high 11's

Will the 7.5 gear give any service life?

Yes, we run 10s with one, but its all setup real well.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote