Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-18-2023, 04:18 PM   #11
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts
Default Re: A Funny thing has happened to EV’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
If the electrical grid is "taken out", where do you get power for heat pumps and EVs? Asking for a friend.
Gary, I was talking to a plant manager of a power plant. He told me after 5 o'clock or so, power plants.... even in the most brutal of conditions turn the wick down to about 35%
of capacity. This is when 90 % of EV owners charge their batteries (at home). So the power company's are licking their lips hoping to sell electricity during these times of calm.Its all about money, right ?
Old 11-18-2023, 04:37 PM   #12
Chevy55

Liked 168 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
If the electrical grid is "taken out", where do you get power for heat pumps and EVs? Asking for a friend.
The same way you get your gas when the electrical grid is taken out but that doesn't seem
to be as much of a problem when the electric companies are under strict government regulations.
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 11:52 PM   #13
Randy Wells

Liked 987 Times in 302 Posts

Ok let's convert horse power to kilowatts, 100 HP is equal to about 75 Kilowatts, 1 million kilowatts is a giga watt, your average cole burner is in the 1 to 2 giga watt range, your average wind turbin is 2.5 mega watt. Do the math if you take all the hydrocarbon vehicles and converted them to electric our grid would crash, it will take trillions of dollars to up grade our grid and power capacity to handle it, if we can even get this new lazy generation to even build it. There is 15 drilling rigs sitting idol in the Bakken because they can't get workers. It is all a money making scam.
The US uses 1300 Gigawatts (at any given time,what the grid can handle) of power, if every one drove an electric it would take 50,000 Gigs of power at 200 million vehicles not counting farm implements a d small engines, probably more a day on the roads, with and average of 200 HP, probably more . I am sure there a lot more smarter people on here then me, do the math. We haven't figured out perpetual motion yet, it takes power to make power.
Randy Wells
I/S 5628

Last edited by Randy Wells; 11-19-2023 at 08:15 AM.
Randy Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-19-2023, 11:45 AM   #14
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

There's A LOT of this new renewable energy stuff happening in my state of OHIO. Not just cars..Earlier this year Intel agreed to build at least 2 massive "pods" to manufacture computer chips. Although it takes a two year degree to work there, the starting wage is going to be 125,000 annually. That's double what most jobs are in central Ohio currently. Biden signed and pushed for the Chips act which is an attempt to bring these chips back to the States. 7000 construction jobs with 3000 permanent ones. All the surrounding Colleges, like Ohio State, Cincinnati, Dayton ect... along with all the smaller community colleges changed up the curriculums to fast track these student's into these good paying jobs. Its scheduled to be completed in 2025 and are already pouring massive amounts of concrete.This facility will manufacture nano chips, which are the tiny tiny ones that currently are only manufactured overseas. If you race at National Trails next year, your only about 1/2 hour from this new "city" being built by Intel. New 4 lane highways, water supply's, electrical grids etc. Intel says it will be 100 % carbon neutral.
Yesterday, Amazon released that they are building solar farms to power their new service centers here in Ohio. Good Lord their HUGE.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/state-new...farms-in-ohio/
Old 11-19-2023, 02:55 PM   #15
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

I did not make my comment clear so I will restate it. If our country is attacked by a enemy, the enemy would not dare start a ground war. The very first thing they would do is "take out" the electrical grid. Biden wants to get rid of anything "gas" and convert to electric. The US will be in another war someday. Maybe not in my lifetime, but it will happen.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:07 AM   #16
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

One large mega ton nuke (Russians have 7000) with a good height of burst and every electronic component will be rendered useless by the EMP. We won't be pumping gas or generating electricity nor will there be phones or computers that are operational.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 03:31 PM   #17
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

Exactly Ed. Just my opinion. I believe it was Nikita Khrushchev that made a statement during the early 1960s. "The way to defeat the US is with patience, they will destroy themselves from within". As with Viet Nam, we could have made a parking lot out of North Viet Nam but protests and politics wanted us out of there, thus peace negotiations and no win. We were Gung ho to get into Afganistan, and another bunch of protests and politics and no winner. Plus we walked out and left billions of arms behind.
At least in the Army, we were trained to kill or be killed, destroy the enemy and obey orders, but protests and politics does not allow that.
Nikita was right, we will destroy ourselves from within and the rest of the patient world will watch.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:12 PM   #18
Eddies66
VIP Member

New Battery Crushes Tesla's Tech, Unveils A Solid-State Marvel With 300% Higher Energy Density, 15-minute Ultra-Fast Charge. QuantumScape, a Silicon Valley-based startup, is revolutionizing the EV battery market with its cutting-edge solid-state batteries.

The batteries are touted to have triple the energy density of Tesla’s lithium-ion cells, significantly faster charging times and a safer, more sustainable design.
Liked
Old 11-29-2023, 03:50 PM   #19
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
New Battery Crushes Tesla's Tech, Unveils A Solid-State Marvel With 300% Higher Energy Density, 15-minute Ultra-Fast Charge. QuantumScape, a Silicon Valley-based startup, is revolutionizing the EV battery market with its cutting-edge solid-state batteries.

The batteries are touted to have triple the energy density of Tesla’s lithium-ion cells, significantly faster charging times and a safer, more sustainable design.
Good for them
I still don’t want one
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:25 AM   #20
Eddies66
VIP Member

A little something in my backyard: Salton Sea has the potential to produce an estimated 375 million lithium batteries for electric vehicles — more than the total number of vehicles currently on U.S. roads, according to the analysis commissioned by the Department of Energy.