HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #5101
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Hey Mark
Welcome back my friend.
I do remember seeing the pics you have, but that was a few years ago. I usually cant remember where I put that 1/2" wrench last time I used it...lol. And you think I will remember those from back then.....hahaha. Not likely my friend. I've never had a good memory. Now at 60 years old its way worser. I'm quessing they could be the same ones I got from Tim then?

Re: the BO29 tunnel. I see the cardboard now that you mention it and looks like racers tape holding it down but I'm still of the belief that tunnel is in bare tin. It doesnt look primered like the rest of the car. I cant make out the pedal in it. You fiqure its an automatic pedal.??? So it could be a automatic car converted to a stick then

liteweight

I have a guy who is VERY GOOD with cleaning and clarifying old pictures. I was in contact with him this morning. He volunteered to do these. Yup always good to "know a guy who"...
So before I post any more I will wait to see his completed art.

Last edited by Liteweight; 02-10-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #5102
Liteweight
VIP Member

ssswede

You make valid possibilitys for sure. Always open to new set of eyes and possilities.
If you remember Hodges restoration on Vankes Barracuda it also had a grey primer engine compartment. BUT this car was painted in the other cars paint scheme he had. Not the scheme this one had laid on it when Arlen owned it.
I doubt any of these cars seen any kind of paint booth after they left Chrysler. I'm thinking the employees loaded up a paint gun wherever the car was at that particular time, gave the area a quick wipe down with the rag they had in they're back pocket and then pulled the trigger. I'm thinking there were no specific painters there that did only paint but rather the same person who was working on that particular car at that particular time when it needed that job done to it. You gotta remember this was not a factory assembly line where everything was done (for the most part) the same. These things were all hand modified and as such some were probably done with more finese than others were depending on the guy working on them. I am sure there are no 2 that left Hurst exactly the same. Yup they were crude no doubt.
Funny thing...... this is a few of the reasons why I think they are so cool today

liteweight
Old 02-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #5103
Liteweight
VIP Member

Good buddy and expert old photo repair and enhancement Robin McQueen has volunteered to bring these old Hurst photos back up to a cleaner and better clarity picture.
He is VERY good at his craft. I can hardly wait to get them back.

liteweight
Old 02-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #5104
340duster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mark, a question regarding the automatic cars. Did the floor have the hole in it for the factory console shifter? and if so was this the location were the shift cable was routed thru?

Thanks
Bob
340duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:02 AM   #5105
SSSwede

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
ssswede

You make valid possibilitys for sure. Always open to new set of eyes and possilities.
If you remember Hodges restoration on Vankes Barracuda it also had a grey primer engine compartment. BUT this car was painted in the other cars paint scheme he had. Not the scheme this one had laid on it when Arlen owned it.
I doubt any of these cars seen any kind of paint booth after they left Chrysler. I'm thinking the employees loaded up a paint gun wherever the car was at that particular time, gave the area a quick wipe down with the rag they had in they're back pocket and then pulled the trigger. I'm thinking there were no specific painters there that did only paint but rather the same person who was working on that particular car at that particular time when it needed that job done to it. You gotta remember this was not a factory assembly line where everything was done (for the most part) the same. These things were all hand modified and as such some were probably done with more finese than others were depending on the guy working on them. I am sure there are no 2 that left Hurst exactly the same. Yup they were crude no doubt.
Funny thing...... this is a few of the reasons why I think they are so cool today

liteweight
Yes, what you describe is probably a good picture of what happed.
Well, my expression about the paint boot was more like a figure of speech. I was with my post hoping someone would shed some light on the Warranty Disclaimer Decal.
But I guess few if anyone really know what or how it happened in that barn
In my book, your picture, together with what I have dug out on my own, is enough for me to check my assumption as verified.

Again thanks for the pictures.
SSSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #5106
Liteweight
VIP Member

Pictures have been deleted due to non compliance

I have been requested to give credit of these pictures to the person who shared them to Tim Hennessey, Bob Buntin. Thankyou Bob and Tim . They have been watermarked so

Pictures supplied by Bob Buntin, shared by Tim Hennessey, clarified by Robin McQueen

Last edited by Liteweight; 02-18-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #5107
Liteweight
VIP Member

So I posted the below images on my facebook page after I posted them here. I made a comment of " sure wish I could read the sheet on the windshield" and I get this as a response....LOL Damnn near fell off my chair

liteweight

Old 02-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #5108
Liteweight
VIP Member

I'm on a continuing search for pictures for both my Dart and for new content to post here. It is definitely getting tougher as there are only so many cars and so many pictures out there, but sometimes genies do pop up in different places, but facebook seems to be the absolute king of new material where guys are posting stuff they've located in old drawers in their toolboxes or chest in the attic.

In my daily search today I ran across an old aquatence from here that has a trophy he won at Mopar Nationals in 1991.

There is a definite resemblance of the picture that Greg Rager took of it during its first public showing at the Nats in 1987

there is a whole story to be told about that picture taken on an airstrip that has been described as " leaving tire marks on the roof of the Dart". I will share at a later date

Old 02-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #5109
Liteweight
VIP Member

Been an interesting day. Came across this one. At first I thought it was a clone car till I looked at the display stand in the second picture.LO23M8B297899
There's a few things that I found interesting in this post that came up. Time span of this was a Wisconsin Car show Aug.1991\
. Also when you read the display sign the owner of the car lists it as 1 of 80. This is interesting because it validates the owner knows the amount of cars built. ALOT of people think even today there were only 50 built. Even owners of these cars are of that belief today. To know there were 80 back in 1991, the owner was educated in these things.
Just by chance a fellow who was parked beside this Dart showing his car, at this show by the name of Scott Buckley, started making replies on this thread about that show,that Dart, and its owner Clinton Johnson Jr.. Apparently Clinton did a lot of street racing with this car up in Chicago. I asked Scott to stop by and share some of those stories here. Sounds like those conversations were very interesting.
I asked Scott if he knew what happened with this car after. He replied that he never heard anything of it or the owner after that show in 1987.
Now, if you look at the last picture on this post you will find a list of winners for that particular show. Scott won 1st place with his 69 cuda while Clinton with the Hemi Dart won 2nd.
Now if you go to the next post below you will find the Trophy that Scott won at that show in 1991. The one with that Ole Red Dart of Tim Hennessey from a picture at Mopar Nats in 87 on the front of that trophy.

Does anyone recognize this orange Dart. Mark Janaky or Dell Jones?? Is this a real one or is another one I'm thinking it might be that showed up at a race track in Ohio around that time. If so what car these numbers come from?

liteweight

Last edited by Liteweight; 02-12-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #5110
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Daryl,
Its real, I have spoken to Clinton
Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
Been an interesting day. Came across this one. At first I thought it was a clone car till I looked at the display stand in the second picture.LO23M8B297888
There's a few things that I found interesting in this post that came up. Time span of this was a Wisconsin Car show Aug.1991\
. Also when you read the display sign the owner of the car lists it as 1 of 80. This is interesting because it validates the owner knows the amount of cars built. ALOT of people think even today there were only 50 built. Even owners of these cars are of that belief today. To know there were 80 back in 1987, the owner was educated in these things.
Just by chance a fellow who was parked beside this Dart showing his car, at this show by the name of Scott Buckley, started making replies on this thread about that show,that Dart, and its owner Clinton Johnson Jr.. Apparently Clinton did a lot of street racing with this car up in Chicago. I asked Scott to stop by and share some of those stories here. Sounds like those conversations were very interesting.
I asked Scott if he knew what happened with this car after. He replied that he never heard anything of it or the owner after that show in 1987.
Now, if you look at the last picture on this post you will find a list of winners for that particular show. Scott won 1st place with his 69 cuda while Clinton with the Hemi Dart won 2nd.
Now if you go to the next post below you will find the Trophy that Scott won at that show in 1987. The one with that Ole Red Dart of Tim Hennessey from a picture at Mopar Nats in 87 on the front of that trophy.

Does anyone recognize this orange Dart. Mark Janaky or Dell Jones?? Is this a real one or is another one I'm thinking it might be that showed up at a race track in Ohio around that time. If so what car these numbers come from?

liteweight

68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote