HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #61
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Could Super Modified been different if?

I never ran it in the hayday, but love the idea of using 79 rules. Although the heads would be hard to find. I still like the brodix spec deal, and let them police the head. Just a thought, I don't have an answer on how to bring it back, but they have to keep the head money out or real racing will fall by the wayside. I also want to build my own engines.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #62
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did and that's what started this!

He had already built a Maverick in 1971 and had been doing the Boss strokers since 1970 when Moldex modifed 312 Y-block cranks to fit into Boss 302 blocks. He and Leroy had been running single 4 V carbs since the AHRA GT 1 days 1970. maybee you should refresh his memory, I listed his phone number and e-mail address. You should remember that every thing that was done to that car when he was racing it from April of 75 to Ocober 78 was shown in articles in Super Stock Magazine, BTW CarCraft in late 74 did a article titled the Boss of Flat Rock on his thoughts for the first Super Modifed Ford engine he was going to build and did. It is the one with the Grump on the cover in a suit setting behind a desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastChris View Post
Just ask Flat Rock, he'll tell you.

Bill Long & Mike Edwards were able to excel because they bought such a good car. Mike was just a kid back then, but those guys raced real hard and deserved everything they earned.

Last edited by BlueOval Ralph; 04-28-2011 at 01:32 PM.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #63
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will ask him if he has CRS!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #64
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On more thing take a look at this web site
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=25741.0

Aslo this site it has some pictures of the car at Hardys in December 74 when it was picked up

Last edited by BlueOval Ralph; 01-13-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #65
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
I never ran it in the hayday, but love the idea of using 79 rules. Although the heads would be hard to find. I still like the brodix spec deal, and let them police the head. Just a thought, I don't have an answer on how to bring it back, but they have to keep the head money out or real racing will fall by the wayside. I also want to build my own engines.
Today you would still only allow production line heads, same as back then. The rule book never specified 1979 and older heads. Those rules could easily apply today. Personally I would favor EFI also, since that is what we have today.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #66
SPS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK, might as well put in my two cents.

First, I don't get how Chris says it got too expensive. I built all my own stuff and remained competitive through the run of Super Mod.

Second, Arlen fadely was definately the first SM winner at the US Nationals at Indy in 1977. (I was RU to him for class)

I won class at Indy in 1978 after runner-ups in 1976 and 1977.

I looked in my album and there are 6 NHRA record certificates with my Camaro. I'm also sure that Fadely held the record a number of times including re-setting it twice in a couple weeks at one point.

Third. when you west coast guys came east "we no scare" . Voegelin was the only left coast guy that came to Indy and ran well.

Arlen and I raced hard, were very competitive, and remain good friends to this day.

Super Mod was a great class, had a lot of fun, travelled a bunch, learned a lot, and best of all, won my share.(got a shelf full of Wallys to prove it, too)

FJ Smith
SPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #67
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Rick was the only fast left coast SM car I remember. Stevens car was nice but I don't remember it ever being blistering fast. Neither was mine, btw.
Anybody know why the 1979 C/SM rules would not work today? Sticks and auto same weight.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #68
larry dowty

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

ed we have a left coast a/sm racer that was pretty fast steve nolan won the div. 6 in 80 and out ran rick and mike at the 80 and 81 winters didnt win though he had a 70 big block nova still has that car in his garage and we both remember your car i would love to see super mod. again i think it would work
Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #69
Bob Rice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Steve Nolan and some other fellow!

Bob Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #70
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry dowty View Post
ed we have a left coast a/sm racer that was pretty fast steve nolan won the div. 6 in 80 and out ran rick and mike at the 80 and 81 winters didnt win though he had a 70 big block nova still has that car in his garage and we both remember your car i would love to see super mod. again i think it would work
He outran Mike, that's Mike in A/SM? I remember Bill building an engine for A, don't Know where they ran it. 1979 was my last year. Everything was worn out and I needed new equipment for my shop, so I quit. Started running a dirt track car here locally. Paid as much to win as a WCS race. Moved to sprint cars later. Did that until 1990. Didn't do anything but work until I lost my mind again a few years ago. I remember you guys names and cars, don't think I ever got to see them run. Sounds like you guys ran really well.