HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #51
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Could Super Modified been different if?

How did you win this race ? when turned on the red light against the late great Lee Shepard,

Ran good enough to win the 77 Cajun Nationals, but in the rain delayed 2 AM final, turned on the red light against the late great Lee Shepard, who happened to have a broken rear-end in the Modified Production Camaro he was driving during his Pro Stock hiatus

Arlen built a real fast car, as guys like him and Don Bowles started builing these "high dollar" cars,

Boy are you off on this one High $$
Fadely' Body in white was $477.00 form Walt hickey Ford in southgate MI neat thing about Body in white deal was Ford paid shipping and it was shipped from assembly plant which was Kanasas City which was closer to Floydada TX than Flat Rock.
Hardy's bill was just under $1,800.00 for his work.
Fadely bought a wereck Maverick for parts from Jack Roush who had a contact at Rube's Auto Parts in Livonia.

The Boss motor had a definite advantage, then the Chevrolet contigent convinced NHRA to split, so B/SM became the Boss Class

As I remeber Houser's car was as quick as your out WEST and in the east FJ Smiths was faster that yours in 1978

Last edited by BlueOval Ralph; 01-13-2011 at 10:07 AM.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #52
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How did you win this race ? when turned on the red light against the late great Lee Shepard,

Ran good enough to win the 77 Cajun Nationals, but in the rain delayed 2 AM final, turned on the red light against the late great Lee Shepard, who happened to have a broken rear-end in the Modified Production Camaro he was driving during his Pro Stock hiatus

Arlen built a real fast car, as guys like him and Don Bowles started builing these "high dollar" cars,

Fadely' Body in white was $477.00 form Walt Hickey Ford in Southgate MI neat thing about Body in white deal was Ford paid shipping and it was shipped from assembly plant which was Kanasas City which was closer to Floydada TX than Flat Rock.

The Boss motor had a definite advantage, then the Chevrolet contigent convinced NHRA to split, so B/SM became the Boss Class

As I remeber Houser's car was as quick as your out WEST and in the east FJ Smiths was faster that yours in 1978

Last edited by BlueOval Ralph; 04-28-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #53
WestCoastChris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOval Ralph View Post

Fadely' Body in white was $477.00 form Walt hickey Ford in southgate MI neat thing about Body in white deal was Ford paid shipping and it was shipped from assembly plant which was Kanasas City which was closer to Floydada TX than Flat Rock.

Ralph, I did not bad mouth you or Arlen, I just don't see what you have to be so bitter about. If you feel Arlens' car was built on a budget, I will not argue that. I already mentioned that Arlen was fast and outran Jimmy Stevens on numerous occassions. Tell me why you are so bent on badmouthing someone who was willing to help your team out in any way he could.

I am just remembering the good times we had, and to leave Jim Stevens out of the discussion of Super Modified history is just plain wrong. Get out your National Dragsters, Super Stock & Car Craft Mags and check the facts, if you must.

Arlen Fadely is the King of Super Modifieds, he could not have done it without you out Ralph.

also:
"Ran good enough to win" is not the same as "won". He had the fastest car there, his opponent broke in the final, a red-light is driver error.

Last edited by WestCoastChris; 01-13-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
WestCoastChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #54
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If any body was king I would have to give it to Mike Edwards and Bill Long ater all he was the only S/M racer to be World Camp and win the Quaker State Cup.

And how did he help??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastChris View Post
Ralph, I did not bad mouth you or Arlen, I just don't see what you have to be so bitter about. If you feel Arlens' car was built on a budget, I will not argue that. I already mentioned that Arlen was fast and outran Jimmy Stevens on numerous occassions. Tell me why you are so bent on badmouthing someone who was willing to help your team out in any way he could.

I am just remembering the good times we had, and to leave Jim Stevens out of the discussion of Super Modified history is just plain wrong. Get out your National Dragsters, Super Stock & Car Craft Mags and check the facts, if you must.

Arlen Fadely is the King of Super Modifieds, he could not have done it with you out Ralph.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #55
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Why don't you ask Jim Stevens about something? After being qualified #3 at that Amarillo race you mentioned, Ricky Smith helpped Jim do something, looked like change a carb, before the last round of qualifying and picking up about a tenth which bumped me to 3rd. Why did he drive right by the scales? I was on the scales when he drove by, I asked the IHRA official there "Aren't you going to make him weigh?". His reply was "He has been weighing all day, he's OK." That was the last friggin IHRA race I ran.
I watched some stuff being put back into the car after we got back to the pits. And the carb was evidently changed back. Jim had slowed back down on Sunday. I got to race Ricky in the semis, Jim & Ricky got to have an all Ford (Whoopee!) final.

Ask him why he didn't weigh with the rest of us. Guesing Ricky told him he could get away with it. IHRA tech doesn't seem to be so lame now, at least as far as I can tell.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #56
WestCoastChris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=.

And how did he help??[/QUOTE]

Just ask Flat Rock, he'll tell you.

Bill Long & Mike Edwards were able to excel because they bought such a good car. Mike was just a kid back then, but those guys raced real hard and deserved everything they earned.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #57
WestCoastChris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Why don't you ask Jim Stevens about something? After being qualified #3 at that Amarillo race you mentioned, Ricky Smith helpped Jim do something, looked like change a carb, before the last round of qualifying and picking up about a tenth which bumped me to 3rd. Why did he drive right by the scales? I was on the scales when he drove by, I asked the IHRA official there "Aren't you going to make him weigh?". His reply was "He has been weighing all day, he's OK." That was the last friggin IHRA race I ran.
I watched some stuff being put back into the car after we got back to the pits. And the carb was evidently changed back. Jim had slowed back down on Sunday. I got to race Ricky in the semis, Jim & Ricky got to have an all Ford (Whoopee!) final.

Ask him why he didn't weigh with the rest of us. Guesing Ricky told him he could get away with it. IHRA tech doesn't seem to be so lame now, at least as far as I can tell.

I was not at Amarillo, so I don't know for sure. I can tell you that Jim Stevens has always raced honestly. What could he do if the official waved him around the scales? He built everything he ever raced and raced to prove out what he built, a great ET or MPH was always worth more than an easy win. This is why he went on to running land speed cars at Bonneville & El Mirage, you will find him in the record books and at Speed Week every year.

Sorry that your day was ruined. I only remember them complaining of wheelspin slowing them down on Sunday.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #58
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
I was not at Amarillo, so I don't know for sure. I can tell you that Jim Stevens has always raced honestly. What could he do if the official waved him around the scales? He built everything he ever raced and raced to prove out what he built, a great ET or MPH was always worth more than an easy win. This is why he went on to running land speed cars at Bonneville & El Mirage, you will find him in the record books and at Speed Week every year.

Sorry that your day was ruined. I only remember them complaining of wheelspin slowing them down on Sunday.
He ran the same Sunday as before the last round of qualifying. I couldn't keep mine off the bumper, doubt he was spinning the tires Sunday.

Nobody waved him past the scales, he just did not stop and get in line with the rest of us. I was dissapointed in both him and IHRA.

I built everything I ever raced too.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #59
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me tell you something Bill Long was a very good machinist and engine builder if you have any doubts Call David Nickens and ask him why he hired Bill! Give credit where credit is do! Mike & Bill earned every thing they won! They got a very good car to start with
Quote:
Just ask Flat Rock, he'll tell you.

Bill Long & Mike Edwards were able to excel because they bought such a good car. Mike was just a kid back then, but those guys raced real hard and deserved everything they earned.

Last edited by BlueOval Ralph; 01-14-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #60
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOval Ralph View Post
Let me tell you something Bill Long was a very good machinist and engine builder if you have any doubts Call david nicken and ask him why he hired Bill! Give credit where credit is do! Mike & Bill earned every thing they won! Yese they got a very good car to start with
That is right! Bill had that car running faster than when they bought it. Hardest working guys I know. Mike still is. Bill has health problems. Still goes when he can. Both guys long time friends. I tell people when Mike started racing he wasn't shaving yet, and my hair was still brown.