HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
kevin54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine size change

I have a 1978 Mercury Cougar with a 351w 2brl that should run in Q/SA. I would like to know If I could change to a 302 2brl and run U/SA?
If I can change to a 302 will the short block have to be a 1978 or is there some leeway on the year? I understand that the Intake, carb and heads year and model specific. I'm new to the Forum Thank you for your help.
kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts
Default Re: Engine size change

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin54 View Post
I have a 1978 Mercury Cougar with a 351w 2brl that should run in Q/SA. I would like to know If I could change to a 302 2brl and run U/SA?
If I can change to a 302 will the short block have to be a 1978 or is there some leeway on the year? I understand that the Intake, carb and heads year and model specific. I'm new to the Forum Thank you for your help.

yes you can change the engine, the block does not have to be from the year, but the pistons have to be of the same compression and configuration. What part of the country are you?
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:50 AM   #3
jmantle

Liked 135 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin54 View Post
It's in the guide at 139 HP and 27 pounds per HP. I doubt if you could get it light enough to be competitive even with the soft HP rating.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
jmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
kevin54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you I live in western Washington state. I am retiring and want a to get back in to racing. I last raced over 40 years ago with a D/A. I just want to enjoy the sport again. I have work as a mechanic for 47 years so I an do in-house engine ,trans and rear end. any advice would be happily excepted.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
BBF67

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Go for it. Based on the ET of the U/SA no. 1 qualifier at Indy you should be able to run -.68 under the U/SA index if you keep the car at factory shipping weight. If you take out 300 lbs, you would be -1.00 second under and still be 700 lbs heavy for the class.
BBF67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,190 Times in 589 Posts

Good luck on your project. I would get ahold of Brian Seaberg. He lives in Belfair Washington. He is on here - user name is B/S 428. Brian runs a 72 Comet in U/SA and that car is fast. He can help you as much as anyone locally. Brian is scheduled to be at Las Vegas this weekend. Again, good luck with your car, sounds like fun.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Lotta Ford stockers out here in the NorthWest and a well organized Stock/SuperStock Combo series run at Pacific Raceways (primarily) with some runs at Bremerton and Woodburn, Oregon. Build it and run. I hope to sneak my Mustang in as SS/CS if I get it right.

Unless you intend to run just NHRA National and Lucas Oil races for points and Wallies, I think the emphasis on the hunt for the most competitive package is over rated. A good combo like a Formula Firebird or Comet might get a by as number 1 qualifier, but beyond that it's all a bracket race.

As another retired guy, I'm done with the stands. Give me the lanes.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBF67 View Post
Go for it. Based on the ET of the U/SA no. 1 qualifier at Indy you should be able to run -.68 under the U/SA index if you keep the car at factory shipping weight. If you take out 300 lbs, you would be -1.00 second under and still be 700 lbs heavy for the class.
No, no ,no..Bad idea all around.
I hope nobody thinks the no. Q at Indy has a 2.45 low C4 with a rebuild kit in it...?
You'd be able to buy 5 of the right cars for a 302 2v, for what a trans would cost to make that Cougar work @ 800# overweight.
If you don't have a 302, get one along with a body style that weighs less than 3000#.
351 2v , no bargain either. Might run a few under in R/SA ..Still a two ton tank.
I'd suggest putting that Cougar away with the family heirlooms, and let's get serious here.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
kevin54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you All I will have to do some thinking on a good direction to go. Will run local for the most part. I want to enjoy the sport again may go with R/SA see how it goes I want to keep it fun. I know I will enjoy the people on this forum Thank's again
Old 04-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
a well organized Stock/SuperStock Combo series run at Pacific Raceways (primarily) with some runs at Bremerton and Woodburn, Oregon.
Dale, I don`t see anything on the Pacific schedule about this. I see on NHRADIV6 the National Opens are in Bremerton, Mission, Edmonton and Medicine Hat this year. Is there something different that you are referring to?