HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Bob Rice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Own a piece of history!

Jerry MacNeish has put the Dave Strickler Z/28 Camaro up for auction.

http://www.mecumauction.com/auctions...D=SC0508-66401
Bob Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Exclamation Re: Own a piece of history!

I'm having a hard time believing Jerry is going to part with this timeless piece of drag racing history (and his baby) -- hope it goes to a home that understands what it is ...............Guess we're all getting old and tired .
Old 05-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
z28camaroman

Liked 92 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Own a piece of history!

Yes, it's time for this car to be retired and go into the hands of a collector or museum. I have enjoyed owning this piece of history and racing in division one. The best part of the 14 seasons that I've raced this car is all of the great friends that I've come to know. It's not only racing that brings me to the track, it's the people. My passion runs deep for this sport and I am not retiring, I am retiring this car but building a new car that I hope to have out this summer. You can read about the new car on my web site, http://www.z28camaro.com/project.html. It's a real 1967 Z28, one of 602 built and what's very special and personal about this car is it's the first 1967 Z28 that I saw in person. A local racing buddy, Ray Fairall bought this car new in Baltimore and we began our friendship about 1970 at Capital Raceway when I started bracket racing.

This car was a cut up Super Gas car that was put back on the street for many years. It's costing a small fortune to bring it back from the dead but this car deserves it and it will be restored back to the way in was delivered to A.D. Anderson Chevrolet in June of 1967. Tahoe turquoise (same color as Ben Wenzel's Z28) with white deluxe interior and white Z28 stripes. I also have all of the paperwork for the car when delivered new.

I will now have a car that I can run under my own identity and Ray Fairall who still lives in the area is just as excited about seeing this car come back from the dead as I am. I will be working with several people like Tom Kurucz to make this car the best it can be.

To all of my close friends in Division One, Dave Ley, The Jersey Boys, and my West Coast buddies, thanks for making this sport the best in America, and thanks for the many friendships!

Sam Murray is going with me to the Mecum Auction, he will be my riding companion, friend, shrink, and financial advisor for this very stressful trip to Indianapolis.

In closing, I can't tell you how many stressful hours it took to put this car back into it's 1968 race state. Changing engines, re-detailing the engine bay, under carriage, re-installing the original 4-piston front brakes, coil springs, fixing the four foot hole in the trans tunnel, installing the original 12-bolt rear with multi leaf springs, new carpet, paint work on the quarter panels from all the stone chips. We just finished it Tuesday and I must say that it looks stellar. Better than it ever did. It's up there with Todd Bednez's car now............Todd's car also set the bar for me to make my new ride a show peice like his!

Thanks guys and hope to see you all soon,

Jerry

E/Stock, #1710
z28camaroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jerry,

This is truly a labor of love. It would be way cool if when you debut this car, I hope Ben Wenzel is in the other lane!
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Thumbs up Re: Own a piece of history!

Jerry -- I read the "story" of your new project a few months back and didn't realize you were so close to completion -- very good reading for anyone who has an interest as I do in First Generation Camaros -- Good Luck with your new ride......................
Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Fred Popov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Jerry,
The Old Reliable is an amazing car and it was a pleasure seeing you race it. All of your Camaros are perfect and I'm sure that the new Z/28 will be beautiful. I have been checking you web-site for updates to your project but it hasn’t been updated in a while. I suspect you’re saving the finished pictures for after its debut. Where is your first race? I look forward to seeing it run!

Fred
Fred Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
Bob Rice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jerry,
I hope that the car goes to a good home. I saw the Mecum auction ad in Muscle Car Enthusiast and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I have been a Z/28 fan since day one and I look forward to seeing your new car.
Bob Rice
Bob Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
JonLensch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fairall,Willie Hornberger,Uncle Ducky, Muggs, and my pops Uncle Smoothy NOW thats a race team !

Long Live the Silver Bullet !

Good Luck at the auction Jerry and the next Tully's dinner is on you.

Jonathan
JonLensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #9
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

In 1988 I bought a trailer from Ray Fairall. I have not seen him for many years and am glad to hear his name. I believe he was the division champ in S/G around that era and he and his group were good guys. Tell Ray, Rich Biebel says hello!.....That trailer served me for almost 20 years and is still in use by another owner......A friend of mine bought a '67 Z/28 as soon as they came out. A gold color and very plain looking. It was raced immediately and soon had a towbar on it and raced as a Stocker.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If I ever build another Stocker, it will be a '67-'68 Z-28. I remember a friend with his '69 Z-28, he was always a car length behind my 340 Challenger. But if I could have got him to trade, I would have done it in a heartbeat! Love those 302's!