HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-08-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cooling a BBC Nova

I put a BBC in my Nova using the small block frame mounts, and there's only 2.5" between the radiator and the water pump pulley bolts. I've got an electric water pump drive, and I want to use an electric fan, but the junkyard special I have won't quite fit. If I mount it all the way to the driver side, it only interferes with the water pump drive belt a little bit, so if I move the drive motor, it could clear... but that'd probably be more hassle than getting a different fan. Anybody have any helpful insights?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Ian Hill

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Cooling a BBC Nova

i have a 67 chevelle and did the same change over. the rad should have a mounting flange so-to speak on the front of it. this bolts to the rad and to rad support with 4 bolts each. i just took that mounting flange out of the equation and mounted the rad right to the rad support with 1/4" spacers. this should give you an extra 2 maybe 3 inches of space. it worked on my car, i am not saying it'll work on a nova, but the same broup did design both cars!

Ian
Ian Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, that's how Camaro radiators work too, but not Novas. The stock scheme is rubber mounts on top and bottom, and that's pretty much what I'm sticking with. There's maybe 1/4" between the tank flanges and the core support, so moving the radiator isn't much of an option.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Jim Cimarolli

Liked 135 Times in 40 Posts
Smile Re: Cooling a BBC Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMan View Post
I put a BBC in my Nova using the small block frame mounts, and there's only 2.5" between the radiator and the water pump pulley bolts. I've got an electric water pump drive, and I want to use an electric fan, but the junkyard special I have won't quite fit. If I mount it all the way to the driver side, it only interferes with the water pump drive belt a little bit, so if I move the drive motor, it could clear... but that'd probably be more hassle than getting a different fan. Anybody have any helpful insights?
Can you change over to a short water pump? Thats what I have with stock big block mounts and with them the engine is farther forward than with the small block mounts. Hope this helps.

Jim
Jim Cimarolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I'd have to buy a short pump and redo my alternator mounting, but yeah, it's a possibility.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How about a thinner fan (or fans)? The junkyard fan I have has to be 5.5" thick at the motor... what fans have you guys used and liked? Who's honest about their airflow numbers?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Mount the fan in front of the radiator. Use one of the real thin fans that mount directley to the radiator core. The fans work better when they are pushing the air through the radiator insted of pulling the air. I had to trim the hood latch brace a little to make the fan fit in front of the radiator in my car. Looks real clean and works great.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought fans were more efficient at pulling air?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #9
Grant Eldridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I raced a bb 396 1970 Nova using a CSR electric water pump and the stock 6 cylinder radiator re-cored with a three core dimpled core. The fan I used was a 1985? Chev Cavalier unit from the junkyard for $15. and this economy setup cooled fine for racing. The fan had a shroud attached and could be trimmed to fit without much difficulty. Yes, the fan virtually touched the CSR water pump, but did no damage as everything was solidly mounted. This was easy to mount using simple angle brackets below to the lower rad tray edge and above to the radiator upper retaining sheet metal. By running the fan and pump in the pits, the temperature came back down fairly quickly, seldom got over 150 after the pass. The V-8 radiator might be a better choice for better cooling, I believe it uses a bit wider core.
Grant Eldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Griffin aluminum radiator which is approximately the same size as the 4-row stocker it replaced. I'm definitely going to have to go with two smaller fans, maybe about 11" diameter. Any suggestions on good electric fan brands?