Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #21
Dion Hildebrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Foxbody Stocker/Bracket Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwillRacer View Post
So my first question to you is:

Should I go the Evan Smith route and convert the car to 1993 Cobra specs? This will allow me to dump a sh#t-ton of money in to some GT-40 iron heads instead of the E7 stockers. For some reason, dumping money in to E7's just doesn't seem right so I'm leaning towards a cobra conversion. But in doing this, I'll need to also get a host of other things such as an OE cobra intake, untouched GT-40 iron heads, cobra body kit, etc., which all just adds to the cost of the project. I do love the look of the 1993 Cobras though.....wish I could just run an Cobra spec engine in my LX bodied car.

I believe going the Cobra route would also change my class designation too, yes?
saw this add for gt-40 heads do with it what you want.
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ442842923
Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
SwillRacer

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Swanson View Post
Take a look at the '88 Saleen: HO combo, it can make I/SA @ 2750#, and you can run an auto. Some added expense for the body kit. I haven't surfed every year of the 87-93 LX Hatch cars, but I think the Saleen is the only one that will make I/SA right now. Double check me, if you find one (12.99 factor or lower) there would be no reason to do the Saleen other than to be different. If you don't care about running the faster class then stick with what you've got.
Jeff/Anyone,

I've spent the last 45 minutes on nhraracer.com trying to hunt down the specs for Saleen mustangs and have found absolutely nothing. Where are you guys getting your info on the Saleen and its I/SA potential? Obviously, I am missing something somewhere....
SwillRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Jeff Swanson

Liked 62 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Jeff/Anyone,

I've spent the last 45 minutes on nhraracer.com trying to hunt down the specs for Saleen mustangs and have found absolutely nothing. Where are you guys getting your info on the Saleen and its I/SA potential? Obviously, I am missing something somewhere....
The engine specs are the same as any '88 225/215hp 5.0 HO found in the GTs and LXs. You can find car itself in the Stock Car Classification Guide under 1988 Ford. It's the last Mustang listed.

What are you looking for specifically?
Jeff Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #24
SwillRacer

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
The engine specs are the same as any '88 225/215hp 5.0 HO found in the GTs and LXs. You can find car itself in the Stock Car Classification Guide under 1988 Ford. It's the last Mustang listed.

What are you looking for specifically?
Ya know what, it was a rookie mistake on my part. I was looking at the classification for 1989 which is my cars model year and there is no Saleen specs. Why do the Saleen's get to weigh so much less? I'm guessing its because of the Saleen's lighter weight suspension parts = lighter shipping weight?

Last edited by SwillRacer; 12-30-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #25
SwillRacer

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

Well, here's what I've been up to tonight while most of you are watch bowl games and drinking beer. LOL!

First, I pulled the T-5. (Sorry about the size and orientation of this pic. I rotated it in photobucket and when I view it in there it looks right, but not here for some reason - Yes I did save my changes in photobucket!)

Then I went after the short block.

I still have the car up on jack stands so I was questioning whether I'd be able to get the engine up high enough to clear the fenders and core. Turns out I had about 6 inches to spare!! Yeeeeehaaaaa!!

And here is where I stopped for the night. My master bedroom is right over the garage so I didn't want the compressor to be kicking on/off too late and wake up the wife. This is what 120K miles and a few years of sitting around looks like. Before I do anything else I'm going to have to head over to Harbor Freight and pick up a parts washer.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #26
SwillRacer

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

what do you guys recommend for getting rust off the exterior surfaces of the block? Sand blast? Angle die grinder with some of those fiber surface cleaner discs?

In my experience I've been fortunate to only have worked on new racing blocks so they were always nice and clean before we painted them. I've never really had to contend with all this rust and sludge. I guess I'm spoiled.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
Jeff Swanson

Quote:
Why do the Saleen's get to weigh so much less? I'm guessing its because of the Saleen's lighter weight suspension parts = lighter shipping weight?
I can't see any reason why a Saleen would be any lighter than a Mustang GT. Back in the day I think someone had Ford submit a "creative" shipping weight for the Saleen so that it would fit the faster SS/GT classes with a Cleveland.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #28
Damn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I can't see any reason why a Saleen would be any lighter than a Mustang GT. Back in the day I think someone had Ford submit a "creative" shipping weight for the Saleen so that it would fit the faster SS/GT classes with a Cleveland.
I know where there is a 428 FE GT/B Saleen Mustang that is really light...........pretty sure he has dipped in the 8's as well
Damn Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
Jeff Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
I know where there is a 428 FE GT/B Saleen Mustang that is really light...........pretty sure he has dipped in the 8's as well
About 5 miles from my house. The LeBlanc Saleen is a bad hombre. 8.9x in GT/A.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
Evan Smith

Liked 94 Times in 4 Posts

I may have heads, intake and other parts for sale.

Evan