Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,641 Times in 520 Posts
Default Re: Evans coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Goheen View Post
How do you handle corrosion and rust with water only? The Stocker Nova I use to drive we ran water only the first year and in less than a season the water pump passages were considerably built up with corrosion. We started putting a gallon of anti freeze in it after that and no more corrosion build up. Thanks.
This is exactly what I do
And Ed I don’t exactly know what you mean without the help of the contingency sponsors and their postings we wouldn’t get paid
my thought is you better load up with every decal you can, winning a national at $1200 versus 8000+
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I just use water & Cooling System Rust Inhibiter from NAPA.
No problems with rust.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 04-18-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:37 AM   #13
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
Ed I don’t exactly know what you mean without the help of the contingency sponsors and their postings we wouldn’t get paid
my thought is you better load up with every decal you can, winning a national at $1200 versus 8000+
Keith, I don't do this for the pennies contingency sponsors pay but my cars are stickered up with the with the products I use. 22 are contingency sponsors, the rest are not. $8,000 no mind $300 will effect my racing program.

Last edited by 1320racer; 04-18-2019 at 06:39 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
BILL TAYLOR

Liked 186 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I just use water & Cooling System Rust Inhibiter from NAPA.
No problems with rust.
Me too and I use distilled water as recommended by the BeCool Radiator folks.No issues of any kind! Bill.
BILL TAYLOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
Bill Bagley

Liked 31 Times in 10 Posts

I started using Evans Coolant last season and immediately saw some reduced temperature benefit, and the cooling system stayed pristine. However; for class racing it immediately became impractical when using a chiller .. given the fact that it looses its effectiveness if mixed with water.

I believe it would be ideal for any street or other performance application that maintains a closed cooling cavity, but useless for quick cool downs between rounds. Like Ed, a good clean water source and rust inhibiting additive works best.
Bill Bagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #16
John Bender

Liked 58 Times in 11 Posts

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will stay with water and red line water wetter.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #17
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 398 Times in 189 Posts

water wetter does nothing except lighten your wallet
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #18
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

My customers have had real good luck in Circle track engine with different brands of water wetter. I think they help prevent localized boiling of the water and keep steam build up to a minimum. I suspect that most of them are just a surfactant.The reduced surface tension keeps the water in contact with the metal and it allows heat transfer instead of building steam/bubbles. I recommend that they use any good brand. I have a couple of customers that are into custom cars and restorations. Both of them swear by the Evans product. They are mostly interested in keeping cool at idle and rust build up in the system. I have not personally used Evans product.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #19
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Goheen View Post
How do you handle corrosion and rust with water only? The Stocker Nova I use to drive we ran water only the first year and in less than a season the water pump passages were considerably built up with corrosion. We started putting a gallon of anti freeze in it after that and no more corrosion build up. When I got my Camaro the cooling system was water only and a bunch of rusty gunk. I flushed it out several times and put Evans in it. Thanks.

I never leave the water in my engine for any length of time. I drain it each day after racing. I use just plain water either from home or the track. I don't have any corrosion issues. the car also stays plenty cool. Never above 180 even on the hottest of days.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #20
Dan Bennett

Liked 350 Times in 76 Posts

I'm not sure if it applies to what's being sold on the retail market, but I can tell you that water additives in general are necessary thing. I worked a long time for a manufacturer and part of the job was maintaining the cooling tower and high pressure boilers. Both required additives, though each was different.

Tiny bubbles can be entrapped in the liquid and they act like an extremely aggresive sand blast sort of way. They will pit and remove metal up to absolute destruction. In addition, they are tiny pockets of insulation inside the stream and can seriously affect how much the water can reduce heat. The water can't carry away heat if there's an air bubble between it and what you're trying to contact.

Again, I have no idea of what's being sold. But from running, maintaining, and repairing million dollar systems I can vouch that it's a solid concept.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote