HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-16-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
Nova7481

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 74 Nova chassis questions

I am a new member and would like to say HI to all! I have a 74 Nova that I have been messing with for a few years now, the faster I get the worse the car handles. To start out with the car is a Nova with a .40 over 400ci. SBC, 11.4 comp, AFR heads, roller cam(262/270@50 626 lift), Weiand team G manifold, 950 Pro-systems carb 4150 series, Hooker super comp headers, Hughes 350 trans, 4100 stall converter,10 bolt GM rearend 410 gears MOser full spool and axles. The car weighs 3050 with me in it. It has all stock suspension 6 cylinder springs in front and multi-leaf rears with Competition Eng. slapper bars and 28x9x15 Hoosier slicks. That should pretty much give an idea of what I have, the car best time to date is 10.70 at 125 mph with this set up. The 60ft. times are 1.47 and mid 6.70 eigth miles. I know that you guys have to run under some real tight rules and I am just bracket racing so my bumpers are off and interior is out plus whatever else that I could get out without really messing up the car. Well as my title says the faster I go the harder the car is to drive and I understand that it should be that way somewhat, but this one can get pretty crazy. The car is real good up to the eighth but you don't know from there. It gets really squirrelly at the big end and wants to find the wall and as my buddy said the other day, how many times do you expect to get away with that! The front of the car sits pretty high and I have Comp. Eng. drag shocks on and to the lightest setting on the front and the stiffest on the rear. My slapper bars are set with about a half inch of space between the stubber and the spring eye. The car hooks good on the 9 inch tires and will lift the front of the ground about 8 inches its the down track stuff that will get your attention. Now after all of that the question is what should I do to make the car driveable again, I figured that being you guys have to run the small tires and stock suspension that you would have some tips as to how to set the car up. I would really appreciate any imput that you guys have and look forward to hearing from you. Dana Irvin ,Casa Grande AZ.
Nova7481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
rayfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 74 Nova chassis questions

I used to run a 67 Camaro and it handled like a cadillac at the end. When they lined it up I had them put extra positive caster in the front end. Stock alignment can't handle the speed.

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/r...3.asp#Figure16
rayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you have radial tires up front? if so, get rid of them and puton some drag tires. Your car should handle a lot better. My "only a" (they are still racecars) bracket car runs about the same and a ghost could drive it.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Floyd Gomez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is the problem coming from sway in the rear or steering issues? If the car already sits high in the front it could be weight transfer issues. Kind of like pulling a trailer with too much tounge weight. Try lowering the front end where the air cant get underneath so much but use a little weight to do so. This will give you better tranfer and when the car settles it will glue to the track more. If the problem is sway use an anti sway kit
Floyd Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
bknutsen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What kind of rear tire pressure do you run?
bknutsen is offline   Reply With Quote