HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition

Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 AM   #31
RJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Modified questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A in ARrace View Post
I am also looking into building a ss/cs car and would like to know if you have to adhere to the normal nhra listed runner size of a year/hp combo like standard ss.

Joe Adkins
No, you do not, just no external modifications as was already stated.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #32
The A in ARrace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks
The A in ARrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #33
Jeff Colvert

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM5595 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am considering building a SS/Modified Stock class combination for 2008. I am looking at SS/BS and I have a couple questions I'm sure someone can answer for me. I used to run Stock Eliminator so I am familiar with Class Racing but not so much with the Modifieds. When the NHRA rule book refers to "OEM" style cylinder heads, "no billet", are they considering manufacturers such as Dart, Edelbrock, etc. as "OEM's" or does it mean Ford, GM, Chrysler? I will be building a Ford so what is accepted? It also says that only NHRA accepted heads are legal but I cannot find a approved list anywhere? Also, can you run a aftermarket cylinder block? Any insight into this class is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jay Roeder
Jay, Sorry that I didn't run across your thread sooner. You can call Jim Kuntz @ Kuntz and Company on what head to use on a Ford combination.He has raced in the A/SM & SS/BS class over the years and builds some of the meanest NA small block Fords in the country. I know he has CNC programs on most all the Ford heads. 870-246-2595

Jeff Colvert SS/G 4456
09 National Record Holder
9.48 @ 140.53

Last edited by Jeff Colvert; 01-26-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: phone #
Jeff Colvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #34
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good bowl thickness as cast
You have to be very carefull as there is water with in a 1/2 inch below the seat between the valves. You can pick the intake alot by removing material in the bowl between intake & exhaust but be very carefull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
Jay, we've done top-ends for 314 and 315 inch BS motors. So, I guess 311 could fit too.

Ralph, you're right on those 351 iron heads. They also have pretty good bowl thickness as cast. They have great potential for CS. A friend of mine out in Washington state has built them for allky round track racing, and tells me they will flat out make more HP per CFM than a bowtie. Considering they will potentially flow more than a bowtie, that sounds promising.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #35
RPM5595

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts

Thanks fellas but this was an old post and I have ended up going with a Yates D3 head deal for SS/AS. Hopefully out this year, finally!
RPM5595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #36
Damn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this is an older thread, but does anyone on here have any updates to add ? I have been sitting back for some time looking at the various combo's ( GT/J or K with a 1968 302 SBF Combo) in a Maverick or a Probe, and have not committed to a specific one as of yet. I also like the SS/CS in a Probe with a SBF and the N351 head as it seems to be in the price range of my check book. I understand you have to use a Factory steel head, and are carb limited, but what about the limits on the internals, IE: Crank Stroke, Journal Sizes & Material, Max Bore Size, Rod Length, Piston CH, Valve Size ect. I don't have a rule book yet and I have lots of ideas and the questions rolling around in my head. Can someone give me more detail on the SS/Ca rules until I can get my hands on a current rule book ? Thank you
Damn Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #37
RPM5595

The rulebook is available online. As for SS/CS, iron heads, such as N351, 750 carb., that's pretty much it for rules on the engine! The cubic inch is more dictated by the weight of the car. Most of the SS/CS engines are right around 300 cubes. Spend away!
Jay
Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #38
Damn Yankee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM5595 View Post
The rulebook is available online. As for SS/CS, iron heads, such as N351, 750 carb., that's pretty much it for rules on the engine! The cubic inch is more dictated by the weight of the car. Most of the SS/CS engines are right around 300 cubes. Spend away!
Jay
Hey Jay, thanks for your input. As far as the rules on-line, since I have let my membership lapse seeing we have been parked for a while, I can't even look at the rules on-line. Apparently the NHRA is so cash strapped; you can't even look up, or review their class rules without paying for them as well
Damn Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #39
RPM5595

Yeah, times are tough! You wouldn't want Tom Compton to have to take a pay cut, would you?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #40
Ron E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
No, you do not, just no external modifications as was already stated.
And, that's part of the beauty of the classes. Chambers, valve sizes, bore and stroke, etc. are open. The motor can be teched from the outside.
The carbs are checked closely. Don't try to fudge those measurements even a little bit.
Ron E is offline   Reply With Quote