HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-25-2019, 01:26 AM   #111
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Best Pontiac Powered Stockers

Just got these pics, & there is no more room for pics on the '69 GTO page. So, I'll put 'em here.

The Jerry Stealy Judge set an E/SA nat record, before it was destroyed in a hwy accident.

"...Equipped with a Ram Air IV, the original Nemesis, a 1969 GTO Judge, carried Jerry Stealy to an E/SA national record..."

PS: Merry Christmas ya'll !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nemesis .jpg
Views:	506
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	52995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry Stealy .jpg
Views:	409
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	52996  

Last edited by oldskool; 12-25-2019 at 01:33 AM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #112
Dodge64

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I believed the Pontiac that was named "Kathys Clown" where owned by a close friend here in Sweden (scandinavia) and raced at the dragstrips in Scandinavia!

Last edited by Dodge64; 12-25-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Dodge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #113
oldskool
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge64 View Post
Hi, I believed the Pontiac that was named "Kathys Clown" where owned by a close friend here in Sweden (scandinavia) and raced at the dragstrips in Scandinavia!
Wow ! If that's so, that was quite a trip for a car that only made short trips, of a quarter mile at a time.

But, I know that the quickest Pontiac Stocker ever built was sold & shipped overseas.

I assume that everybody reading this already knows this. But, Scott Burton's Ram Air IV 1970 Formula Firbird was the quickest Pontiac Stocker ever. Or at least it's the quickest one I ever heard of. It ran really low 10's, and is said to have dipped below 10.00, a time of 2.

Not sure what was the next quickest Pontiac Stocker ever ? I assume it might be a '69 RAIV BIrd, maybe John Schloe ?

My next guess might be a Ram Air II '68 Bird. I think maybe Leo Glasbrenner has one.

Then there are Randi Lyn Shipp's '67 Bird & Chris Stepenson's '68. They've both ran below 10.50.

LOTS of Pontiac Stockers now run high 10's. There's an assortment of '68 Birds, from Adam Strang & Todd Hoven on the East coast, to Bob Aceves on the West coast. Tim Gillespie also has one. And I could name a few more.

Then there are lots of 10 sec 455HO powered cars. Brad Burton & Scott Underhill have the first 2 that come to mind.

I would be VERY interested in the quickest pass ever made, by each of the 10 sec Pontiac Stockers now active. There may be several of 'em that can run quicker than 10.50, but just don't, in competition, so they won't get hp added to their combo, by NHRA. So, I'll never know.

It's interesting to me to compare the times the Stockers are turning today, compared to back in the '70's. Many of 'em are over 2 sec quicker. Today's Stockers are quicker the the Super Stock version the the cars were, back then. I suppose the cam & valve spring rule had a lot to do with that.

Last edited by oldskool; 12-25-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #114
oldskool
VIP Member

Well, we've mentioned all the GTO's, in order, except the last one. For '74, the GTO was an X-body, and had a 350 engine.

But, as drag racers are known to do, some guys decided to see what they could get out of the '74 GTO. So, there have been a few '74's that did very well, including some record holders.

I think I've mentioned this, but the first to run a '74, that I'm aware of, was Rock Running. Think I posted a pic of his Super Sleeper '74 GTO.

Al Vanis won Indy with a Ventura II. It wasn't a real GTO. But, NHRA allows the same engine in a plain '74 Vent. So, for this discussion, there is really no difference. You can even run this engine in a 4-door Vent, or most any 2 or 4-door Lemans.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...px?ENGINE=2088

Bill Rink's '74 GTO is listed as the J/SA class winner at the 2005 US Nats.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r2005#indextop

He qualified #21, with a 1.141 under, 11.609.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r2005#indextop

The quickest '74 GTO Stocker, that I know of, belongs to Brad Koivisto. I'll look it up, but I think he ran some low 11's this year.

So, Rock Running's Super sleeper won class at the US Nats. Al Vanis won Stock at the US Nats, in a '74 Vent, the Duttweiler Automotive '74 GTO was class record holder for 5 years straight, from 1991 thru '95, & Bill Rink won class & was #21 qualifier, at Indy, in '05. That ain't a bad showing for the little 350 powered X-bodies.

Brad Koivisto ran a .939 under 11.211 at this July race, to qualify #6. So, I'd say the '74 Pontiac GTO was competitive in the the mid '70's, the first half of the '90's, the early 2000's, & still is, today.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r=100#indextop

Will be lookin for more info & pics of '74 350 powered Pontiac X-body Stockers. So, anybody with info and/or pics please post that info.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rock Class US Nats .jpg
Views:	427
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	53002   Click image for larger version

Name:	350 Vents  .jpg
Views:	321
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	53003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Duttweiler '74 .jpg
Views:	372
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	53004  

Name:	5 Years Straight. .jpg
Views:	298
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	53005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rink Smoke .jpg
Views:	296
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	53006   Click image for larger version

Name:	74 Brad K .jpg
Views:	522
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	53007  

Last edited by oldskool; 12-25-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #115
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

Danny Ashley had a fast '74 GTO in the early 90's which went to Sweden.Mike Macdonald (Q-jet perf.) also had one which was sold to Richard Desmond from Minn.I'm not sure if Brad K's black car was owned at one time by the Nelson's also from Minn.There was also a guy from Montana Chuck Salerno (sp).The car was blue and called "Git-Go" and was a top q'fier back then...gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #116
oldskool
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsa612 View Post
Danny Ashley had a fast '74 GTO in the early 90's which went to Sweden.Mike Macdonald (Q-jet perf.) also had one which was sold to Richard Desmond from Minn.I'm not sure if Brad K's black car was owned at one time by the Nelson's also from Minn.There was also a guy from Montana Chuck Salerno (sp).The car was blue and called "Git-Go" and was a top q'fier back then...gsa612
Hey, that's good info ! Any pics ? Know where I might get some pics ? Any idea how to contact any of these guys.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #117
gsa612

Liked 280 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Hey, that's good info ! Any pics ? Know where I might get some pics ? Any idea how to contact any of these guys.
Danny is a member here and was a friend of Mike M's.You can try PM'ing him, he may have some old pics.Not sure but Chuck's car may have gone to CA.Also you can try to PM Bill Rink(if he doesn't see this first) he's run his for years in STK and now SS.He may have more info on these cars.And you have pics of Brad's car as he currently runs it...gsa612
gsa612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #118
oldskool
VIP Member

I'm gonna save this spot for more 1974 X-body info & pics. So, ya'll help me find some.

I LOVE it when you can come back and edit a post.

The biggest Pontiac site I'm on will only allow an edit for 1 hour. There have been many times when I've gone back over my posts & saw some type of error, which I'd like to correct. For times when the error was bad enuff, I had to make another post, to correct it. This way is much better. I can not only make corrections, if needed, but can also add more info and/or pics, when I get 'em.

So, for now, this is just a parking space for more '74 X-body stuff.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #119
BRINK

Liked 140 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsa612 View Post
Brad Koivisto's '74 is the car that Dick Desmond bought from Mike McDonald. Mike and Danny Ashley were partners with Q-jet performance.
BRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #120
oldskool
VIP Member

Now that we've looked at all the GTO years, I'd like to talk about the Firebirds. I usually just call 'em Goats & Birds.

So, as most know, the 1st Bird was a '67 model, same as Camaro. I know of 2 '67 Stockers. But I'll need help with others. I'm sure there were probably quite a few '67's run, thru the years. But, right now, the only two I know about are those driven by Randi Lyn Shipp & Bryan Phillips.

Most Pontiacs that are running today, have been raced by others. Some have changed hands several times. I think somebody here has already mentioned who had Randi Lyn's car, before she got it. I always like to know the racing history of a Pontiac. It's interesting to me to see if an owner has more success than the previous owner, or less.

So, for you guys who know the previous history of any of the cars mentioned in this thread, please share that info.

I assume Randi Lyn's car & Bryan's car have to run the exact same engine specs. That's a 400 engine, with a 750 Q-jet carb. Probably has #670 heads. Some later Birds, had more than one 400 engine option. But, I think the '67's only had one. The basic specs are no secret. Anybody can look 'em up.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...4&MAKE=Pontiac

I know Randi Lyn has run some 10.40's, in D/SA, & 10.30's in C/SA. Don't know her best ET, in competition. Anybody know ? I do know that she has pulled some huge wheelstands. Appears to me that she needs some wheelie bars, like many other Stockers have.

And, she has won lots of races, including several nat events. She seems to be very popular with racers & fans.

She was the D/SA class winner at Indy, in 2013, with a 10.645.

https://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCS...r2013#indextop

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...cid=spartandhp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Randi Lyn Shipp .jpg
Views:	323
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	53012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Randi Lyn .jpg
Views:	424
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	53013  

Last edited by oldskool; 12-26-2019 at 12:33 AM.