HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
bestephen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Points and Related Programs

New to Stock Eliminator. 2017 was our first year. I would like to get some thoughts on the below subject.

Section 3, page 3 – Points and Related Programs

NHRA LUCAS OIL REGIONAL AND DIVISIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
To accommodate those NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series racers who elect to concentrate activity closer to their homes, separate regional and divisional programs are conducted to honor the top points champion in each NHRA’s four regions or seven geographic divisions.

If the intent is to provide a championship series for those that want to only race within their division and closer to home, and each driver must select a division prior to competing, then why can a racer choose to race only 3 of the six (6) divisional races and an unlimited number out-of-division races and still be eligible for divisional championship points?

An analysis of the Stock Class in Division 6 from 2008 to 2018 shows that if only the 5 best in-division (Home Division) points were used for each participant, 4 of 10 champions crowned over that same period would be different, that’s 40%. Also, over that same period, 8 out of the 10 finishers 3rd through 6th would have changed as well, that’s 80%. There were only 2 years where the finish order did not change using this analysis, 2016 and 2013.

In 2017 car #7474 won both the Division 7 and National Championship in Stock Eliminator. However, if you were to take the best in-division points for the top three drivers in Division 7, Car # 7616 would have won the division instead of finishing 3rd. Car # 7474 competed in 14 events compared to Car #7616 who competed locally in his division at 5 events. Same is true for 2016 in Division 2, 2015 in Division 2, 2013 in Division 7, 2011 in Division 1, and 2009 in Division 3. In 2008 it appears out-of-division points were not considered in the divisional points race, not sure of this assumption.

Wouldn’t this make more sense: To be eligible for a division championship you should have to participate in at least 5 of the 6 divisional races. The 2015 and 2008 champions only participated in four (4) of the six (6) divisional races, while the second-place finishers participated in all six (6) events. Out-of- division points are not considered.
bestephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,458 Times in 1,958 Posts
Default Re: Points and Related Programs

See All Star points.
Larry Hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
bestephen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you referring to the JEGS ALLSTARS? If so, that race appears to bring the top winners across all divisions and regions to a single event.

I'm trying to understand the rational behind divisional racing and how points awarded outside of ones home division are included in the divisional points calculations. If drivers want to compete outside their division, have more time and resources to travel than maybe there should also be a regional champion for the other classes.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Jeg's All Star points were mentioned because only 'in-division' races count toward that points total.

Your argument may make sense if you live in the center of your division. For me, living in the northeastern section of D5, The two closest NHRA division races for me are in D5. From there, it goes D3, D5 (double race), D3, D5, D3. I could get to every race in D3 and a couple in D4 before I could get to the 6th and final race in my home division.

The way they have it structured is much more friendly to travel (for some) than mandating all races in a single division. Also, if you were to break your car at a bad time and have to miss an in-division race, you have some flexibility to deal with it.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

You also need to factor in that the NHRA Divisional schedule doesn't always fit the racers "life schedule".
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
bestephen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for explanation on the JEGS point.

You are correct D5 is tough if you live in WY, ND, SD, MN. NE may not be too bad. do you think weather is a contributing factor for the D5 structure?

Very similar situation for our friends in Canada.

What I noticed is that several of the divisional champions will attend as many as 12 to 16 races. This really increases their odds of racking up some points outside of their division.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
bestephen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
You also need to factor in that the NHRA Divisional schedule doesn't always fit the racers "life schedule".
This may be why NHRA lets you choose what division you want to race each year. My understanding is, you don't have to live in the division you race in, you just have to choose one at your first race.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

It seems to me that if I was very lucky enough to have 300 points in the first 4 races - I would sit and save money.

At $1200 to $1500 a race it would save money for next years improvements. No motor home to stay in at the track drives costs up. Plus a non-automotive industry job limits participation.

But I am old and not retired or wealthy like so many are.

Ron
Old 02-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
bestephen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys dad View Post
It seems to me that if I was very lucky enough to have 300 points in the first 4 races - I would sit and save money.

At $1200 to $1500 a race it would save money for next years improvements. No motor home to stay in at the track drives costs up. Plus a non-automotive industry job limits participation.

But I am old and not retired or wealthy like so many are.

Ron
Based on the NHRA 2019 Rule Book the divisional series was set up for those that wanted to race closer to home. I believe the majority of the racers have typical 7 to 5 jobs, a set amount of vacation time each year, and a budget that has to be balanced between real life and racing.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestephen View Post
What I noticed is that several of the divisional champions will attend as many as 12 to 16 races. This really increases their odds of racking up some points outside of their division.
A person can go to whatever races they want, but anything past #8 is just for fun. Best 5 of your first 8, with at least 3 being within your 'home' division that you claimed at the first race you attended.