HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts
Default Thoughts on Moroso Trick Springs (Foxbody)

Just wanting to get an idea of peoples experience with putting Moroso Trick Springs on front and back of a Stocker 1988 mustang. Any noticeable difference from stock V8 springs in both front and back?

I've been told to put 4 cylinder springs in the front, but never had any recommendation on the rear. How do the Moroso ones compare to this?

Other recommendations?

Thanks
Brad
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on Moroso Trick Springs (Foxbody)

Brad
The moroso fronts are far superior to 4 cylinder springs in the front. The stored energy helps the car pitch rotate. They are a challenge to install in a fox body because of the length. No experience with rears.
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
HawkBrosMav

Mike thanks for the input.. I guess my next question would be a little deeper than a product review/recommendation..

What is the general idea behind a "better" rear spring than another? Up front having the extra stored energy makes sense for weight transfer, but in the rear in a drag application where we aren't turning corners, what is the idea behind changing a rear spring? Stiffer to help drive the rear tire down as the weight transfers? Is there a point where it's too stiff and pogos the car off the ground? Does softer than stock actually accomplish this better, as long as it doesn't bottom anything out as it collapses?
Suspension is my least educated subject when it comes to cars, so if someone would like to elaborate on some basics that would be much appreciated.

Brad
Old 01-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Hacksaw

Liked 272 Times in 149 Posts

IMO: The rear spring only needs to be stiff enough to hold up the back weight of the car. As far as a better or worse spring, look for a quality spring that retains it's rate for the longest time.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

Team Z sells a stock location rear drag race spring.
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Brad,
I tried the Moroso front springs in my car and as Mike stated they were a nightmare to install. I ended up cutting them down to get the ride height and then they settled and I was done with them after that. I have had 4 cyl springs on my car ever since. The rear springs are a waste of time with something other than stock. I have 2 sets of GT springs, 1 set original height, 1 set cut down. The 3rd set is from a Faimont wagon, way too stiff for how light I run my car. Rear springs set the ride height, and good shocks control the rear suspension. If it's a stick car rear shocks are extremely important. Also I am not a fan of using air bags, the right shock will make a huge difference.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
BRETV

Liked 596 Times in 147 Posts

We've had many Foxbody's, started with the Moroso's, way hard to install and even cut down we didn't like them. We've had great luck with 4cy springs ever since. Just like Sean said rears are really to keep the ride height, shock does all the work.

Bret Velde
2003 SS/LA
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #8
HawkBrosMav

The biggest downside I've heard to the Moroso is they are difficult to install. Outside of that what was the dislike to their performance?

It sounds like most decided cut them and then expected them to act the same way as intended at full length. When they didn't, they were replaced with 4 cylinder ones... I'm not trying to be negative here, but anyone that has gotten them installed, was their performance not up to snuff?

Cost isn't the issue here vs the 4 cylinder ones, I have a Gift Certificate that I'm considering using on this. I'm more trying to talk myself out of doing it, based on it not being beneficial over the stock GT springs.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

If you pull all the weight off the front of the car and make everything light, for Stock or SS racing the front end will not compress the springs enough.
Otherwise the front end will be pointed at the stars, you have to cut the Moroso springs down to get the ride height correct.

Maybe Mike will state if he cut the springs and how much, even cut they are still scary to install.
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

I cut at least 1 coil off my front Moroso trick springs, they worked OK for me. I modified a spring compressor to install them, a real pain to get in.
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked