HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #21
Gary Smith

Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Hemi Head Ruling

Even though I'm nowhere near the class of an AH racer, the same problem affected me as well as all other NHRA racers, and that's the persuasive power money has towards the sanctioning body, starting from the top down. Just like governmental politics it appeared the creation of the AH class, and the convoluted rules would make Mopar the ultimate benefactor in selling parts to ALL the engine builders. Nothing against Charlie or Ray, but I saw the writing on the wall several years ago when Mopar stepped up to support the class, knowing full well how their dollars would influence NHRA rules, while the spirit and legacy of these cars eventually started to fade. After many years around various forms of motorsports, I can't help but notice how honest "non-profit" sanctioning bodies waiver very little in terms of guidelines through unbiased governance, a trait NHRA lost decades ago.

I may be wrong, but it's just my $.02
Liked
Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
Bucky Hess

Liked 153 Times in 23 Posts

Man, you all are gonna ruin the class before i get back out......Except,Except. why should we be excepted from ss.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts

My popcorn just finished, cold drink in hand, cant wait to see where this goes!
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #24
David Barton
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
The simple solution would have been to move forward, and state the rule will be enforced as originally written to benefit the class and no one competitor or engine builder.
The integrity of the Super Stock Class is being questioned by this decision.
I couldn't agree more. The rules were fine the way they were. But like other past experiences we've had, they make a rule change to accommodate guys like CW. I don't know where all the love is coming from, but he has something on them. Or maybe in them.

Here is a perfect example. If you ask NHRA if you can run a raised cam in Super Stock they will tell you no. There are several SS/AH guys that have raised cams. My Dad asked if we can protest anyone with a raised cam and NHRA told him, "Well, that's not something we really check." Why not?

So now NHRA is considering grandfathering the raised cam rule because apparently some guys have been running them for quite some time now. Yeah, that seems fair. Instead of enforcing the rule, lets change it for the cheaters.

Same thing happened at Indy a few years back. We got word that CW's guys were running funky lifter angles. We asked Bruce from NHRA at the Keystone's if he would check anyone if they were protested. He said, "I would, but I don't have the equipment". So we asked if we supplied him with the right tools if he would check anyone and he assured us it wouldn't be a problem.

Guess what, we get to Indy, and Danny Gracia and Bruce denied the protest. The one time we actually said "F*** it, enough is enough, lets protest this bastard", we were turned down. The following week we received a phone call from NHRA along with an e-mail confirming we had a personal invitation to relocate our lifter bores anywhere we want in both Stock and Super Stock. It was never published in the rule book, but I have a copy.

We never asked for any favoritism. Just enforce the stinking rules!
David Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
jaythorne

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

David didnt u move lifter bores around before charlie ever saw a hemi?
jaythorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
David Barton
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, we were moving the lifter bores. But then we were told that was illegal so it was stopped. We didn't ask for a rule change.

Years later we caught wind others were doing it. When we asked NHRA about it they agreed it was illegal. When we attempted to protest we were denied.
David Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #27
Larry Fulton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can call it Innovation, or Interpretation, but it's really the Lack of Consistent Rules Enforcement from the NHRA Tech. Department that ruined Stock and Super Stock long ago. This Hemi Head debacle is just another example of letting too much go on, for too long.

So my question is this... Since, both stock & super stock, are now modified so far beyond the original intent of their class/es, why should any of this really matter?

Last edited by Larry Fulton; 02-26-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Larry Fulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #28
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Fulton View Post
You can call it Innovation, or Interpretation, but it's really the Lack of Consistent Rules Enforcement from the NHRA Tech. Department that ruined Stock and Super Stock long ago. This Hemi Head debacle is just another example of letting too much go on, for too long.

So my question is this... Since, both stock & super stock, are now modified so far beyond the original intent of their class/es, why should any of this really matter?
X2!
It reminds years ago of the combustion chamber size shrouding issue with the Chevy small blocks.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #29
Tom Meyer

Liked 301 Times in 105 Posts

Who remembers when they let ported heads in super stock it was kind of funny when alot of guys that were going fast at the time did not go any faster with the new rule. Now look where we are at. Tom
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #30
Jim Bailey

Liked 570 Times in 107 Posts
Cool Re: Hemi Head Ruling

David, it's time to call in the Amish Mafia !!!
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote