HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
David Barton
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hemi Head Ruling

This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion, thanks to Charlie and a few crooked officials at NHRA. Just like every other rule he breaks, NHRA revises the rules to accommodate his BS. What's next, he'll win on a red light?

Our heads are simple. We cut them back as far as we can while keeping the original valve cover and intake bolt holes. First we were accused of relocating our flanges and bolt holes, which could not be more wrong, then it turned into the BS about machining into the top of the hole which was never a rule in the first place.

After this whole experience we learned that once again the competition has been given a free pass to win another Shootout illegally. After being accused we started researching what the others have been doing to find out they're more bogus than you can ever imagine. The intake and valve cover flanges are busted off and/or relocated. Not only that, the intake flange has been angle milled so much that the factory intake bolt holes are completely gone. How on earth did this ever pass NHRA teardown at Indy? Oh, that's right, they had a private teardown session in their own trailer. Because that always happens at Indy.

For those of you who aren't in the loop with the latest ruling, if you are running SS/AH you can now basically do whatever you want with the ports as long as they pour within spec. Meaning, you can machine the intake flange into the valve spring. This was all done because NHRA knew CW shouldn't have passed at Indy, and this is their way of patching it up. If NHRA wasn't under the spotlight this whole deal would have been swept under the rug like any other time.

The straight tech guys at NHRA have had their hands tied this whole time. Nobody at NHRA has been allowed to say anything except for Glen, Bruce, and Danny. Something smells really bad over there. It's too bad because there really is some good people with NHRA, but they're not allowed to do what they know is right.

The list goes on with the BS at NHRA. And it's all because of a few bad apples overriding the system. I just hope they're gone before class racing is completely ruined. I just want to express that I never wanted SS/AH to part from Super Stock rules. This whole deal really saddens me that it has come to this point. I can't even imagine what the other Super Stock racers must think of us. At this point I don't even want to be associated with the class. The only thing keeping me going is the love of the class and the great people I've met along the way.

David Barton
David Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Hemi Head Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barton View Post
This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion, thanks to Charlie and a few crooked officials at NHRA. Just like every other rule he breaks, NHRA revises the rules to accommodate his BS. What's next, he'll win on a red light?

Our heads are simple. We cut them back as far as we can while keeping the original valve cover and intake bolt holes. First we were accused of relocating our flanges and bolt holes, which could not be more wrong, then it turned into the BS about machining into the top of the hole which was never a rule in the first place.

After this whole experience we learned that once again the competition has been given a free pass to win another Shootout illegally. After being accused we started researching what the others have been doing to find out they're more bogus than you can ever imagine. The intake and valve cover flanges are busted off and/or relocated. Not only that, the intake flange has been angle milled so much that the factory intake bolt holes are completely gone. How on earth did this ever pass NHRA teardown at Indy? Oh, that's right, they had a private teardown session in their own trailer. Because that always happens at Indy.

For those of you who aren't in the loop with the latest ruling, if you are running SS/AH you can now basically do whatever you want with the ports as long as they pour within spec. Meaning, you can machine the intake flange into the valve spring. This was all done because NHRA knew CW shouldn't have passed at Indy, and this is their way of patching it up. If NHRA wasn't under the spotlight this whole deal would have been swept under the rug like any other time.

The straight tech guys at NHRA have had their hands tied this whole time. Nobody at NHRA has been allowed to say anything except for Glen, Bruce, and Danny. Something smells really bad over there. It's too bad because there really is some good people with NHRA, but they're not allowed to do what they know is right.

The list goes on with the BS at NHRA. And it's all because of a few bad apples overriding the system. I just hope they're gone before class racing is completely ruined. I just want to express that I never wanted SS/AH to part from Super Stock rules. This whole deal really saddens me that it has come to this point. I can't even imagine what the other Super Stock racers must think of us. At this point I don't even want to be associated with the class. The only thing keeping me going is the love of the class and the great people I've met along the way.

David Barton
This stuff is even beyond my imagination! I trust this is SS/AH legal ONLY?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Spyphish

Liked 662 Times in 174 Posts

From the movie "Open Range"

Denton Baxter: I'm dying.
Boss Spearman: And for what? More cows (HP)? You killed a good man.

David, I do like that win on a red light idea!!!
Spyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
SSDA Hemi

Liked 425 Times in 64 Posts

Very well said David. (after reading Jimmy Defranks post I'm not fighting with my fellow racer, can u tell? )

Unfortunately I think a lot of people feel this rule was made because of the Bartons and I can't blame you for wanting to clear your name. Like you, I feel the new rule is not in line with traditional Super Stock rules. They (NHRA) are making SS/AH a bastard class, more in line with SS/X classes than SS/AA where the true roots of these cars lie...

And Stephen, if I was you, I think I would be the most pissed off of all. If they ever threw me out at Indy, I would not have the class and composure of Mike Cotten ! All hell would break loose and anyone with bolts out of their heads would have been going home with me at the very least !

Again, after reading Jimmy Defranks post, I am going to shut my mouth as I know this sport and more specifically this class may be my passion in life, but at the end of the day its just my hobby. Now if it was my business...

Thank you David for posting this. Everytime I talk with someone (East or West Coast), there is always another SS/AH car for sale or being parked. I can only hope some good comes from this and the class doesn't become SS/AHX!

Last edited by SSDA Hemi; 02-26-2013 at 07:08 AM.
SSDA Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
charlie westcott

Liked 218 Times in 7 Posts

What the hell are you talking about? Is this your way to spin this in your favor? The rule that everyone wanted except you guy was that the top of the V/C bolt hole had to be there, you guys have milled into that bolt at the top, which you showed to one of my customers at the dutch, I never milled any heads that far.
The statements you made are beyond rediculous, and show the lack of intelligence that you have.

I am not in favor of the new rule, I think its going to turn the class into an altered class.
My heads shouldnt have passed at indy? Why were you there, or are you just listening to the BS that your Dad spews?

The facts are is if this rule stands you know you wont win a creativity battle with me, so you have to call it now as if they made it for me.

I say go back to the original rule, the bolt hole cant be milled into, and you guys will have to sell the garden club new heads cause they cant pass the rule as it was.

cw
charlie westcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
jaythorne

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

nobody wants this rule!!! NHRA are you listening???
jaythorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,048 Times in 762 Posts

If the two most prominent S/S/AH HEMI engine builders and racers don't like the ruling, why didn't the N.H.R.A. consult them before adopting it?
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
why didn't the N.H.R.A. consult them before adopting it?
Frank, you're kidding right?

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,048 Times in 762 Posts

Billy,
As ridiculous as it may sound, it would make sense, would it not?
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,664 Times in 851 Posts

Face it, $$$$ and ego are the primary passions in play here and I don't mean any disrespect toward either party; it's simply the way it is. For two years I watched the war wage on at Valdosta where records were set and also witnessed some of the Indy Shoot out competition. Competitive spirit combined with the passion involved is a huge part of our sport's history...does anyone doubt that Shirley didn't advance the sport with her bitter rivalries (including with Wally Parks)? The examples are endless. Hard-nosed competition is just part of the territory in the AH world. Let the games continue....
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote