HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #61
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts
Default Re: What Stock rules would you change?

AHFS can work if properly applied. Racers control the data, but they adjust it at the top end by lifting or braking. If they record all the lower end readings, 60', 330' etc, it will show a progression that is consistent. Racers can calculate what they would have run even though they lifted with certain formulas. To cheat the system they would have to alter all the incremental times. All those incremental times reveal what the true performance would be. Now compare that with like combos and you will see a pattern. If math is involved it will tell you what the results are and cheating can be detected.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #62
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

OK, don't kill the messenger but look at the averages data that NHRA released about a month ago and it doesn't take a rocker surgeon to see that the system doesn't work. If you are in a heavily populated class with a lot of dogs, you can pretty much run as fast as you want whenever you want (other than don't go -1.2) and not have to worry at all. I counted a total of 13 classes that were triggered (stock & ss) making a total of 62 trigger runs that will not get refactored. Jeez, one of the classes has 12 trigger runs (the fastest being 1.17 under) and it got .3 back last year. Who comes up with this kind of system? Even if you don't want to dog it, all you need is enough slugs in your class and you're home free. I doubt that some of these fast cars could get the average up even if they tried.

Also, don't assume that 1000' times would root out the offenders, lots of ways to make the whole run look proportionally slow.

As I said previously, my car is as bad of an offender as a lot of others, I'm willing to let it rip as soon as everyone else agrees to do the same. In the meantime, I'm going to play the game like everyone else, just wish we didn't have to.

Flame on...

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #63
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

Well if that is the case then why don't they just eliminate the AHFS all together. But that is for another thread, this is about stock rules.

Close the lanes after final call.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #64
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Ortiz View Post
Well if that is the case then why don't they just eliminate the AHFS all together. But that is for another thread, this is about stock rules.

Close the lanes after final call.
The alternative is equally bad. If you recall, before AHFS, NHRA just made arbitrary adjustments with no explanation. I don't have a solution, just saying what is currently in place is obviously being gamed by racers. Don't we all want a better system?
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #65
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts

Anyone remember what year the AHFS was implemented? I have never been a big fan but it's better than not doing anything at all. Since it was implemented we now have better trany's. After market blocks, heads, intakes and carbs for some of the combo's. The ring combo's are better. Roller rockers and now solid lifters for all. Three speeds instead of two speeds. Better oils and so on. Just a guess but the average combo should be two tenths or quicker now.
How about if they at least tweak the system so it's up to today's standard.
At the Epping divisional it was so bad the announcer asked several times over the PA for our Division One Director to have it be a mine shaft race so he could watch 1/4 mile racing instead of 1000 ft shut off's. I'm hoping our reps are taking a look at the system and recommend some changes. BP

Last edited by B Parker; 11-20-2019 at 11:29 PM.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:19 PM   #66
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
The alternative is equally bad. If you recall, before AHFS, NHRA just made arbitrary adjustments with no explanation. I don't have a solution, just saying what is currently in place is obviously being gamed by racers. Don't we all want a better system?
Not a solution but a band-aid adjustment.
S/SS is supposed to be a performance category, with indexes that reflect the hp per pound potential, yet cars routinely run 1 second under the supposed standard. Something ain't right here.

Here you go:
Raised the automatic hp trigger two tenths.
Then lower all indexes 4 tenths.
One second under index= instant hp..Mandatory tear down

NO,NO,NO more goodies for five (5) years.

Example...A/SA 11.00 becomes 10.60
Run of 9.59 = hp.

Response to counterpoint, right up front..I'll save you the trouble.
Most car , even at the bottom, are 2-3 under. If you can't pick your car up a tenth, with all the current technology, possibly you're in the wrong sport, or maybe go bracket racing for a while, then come back. Lots of cars are quota-ed out of national meets anyway . Why not start here, seeing this IS a performance eliminator, right?

For? Against? Tell us why..

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 11-20-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Clarity
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #67
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

If you lower the indexes by 4 tenths, all the local Series type races will suffer from a smaller turnout of competitors. Not good. Currently most series honor IHRA indexes, but for how much longer? I like your plan, but it seems to be a double edged sword where the little guy gets beat up to suit the quick ones who are holding back. Seems to me this more of a Stock Elim. problem. Maybe go 2 tenths lower on the index?
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:50 AM   #68
Paul Wong

Liked 379 Times in 72 Posts

How about no more relaxation of the rules. Parts have been hard to find for a lot of combinations since they were new. Owning a 375/396 car now I don’t see what parts in the engine that are stock left. Enough is enough or they will just combine stock and super stock the closer the two classes get.
As far as the AHFS. I guess a lot of us have short memories about the complaining of the arbitrary nature that horsepower was given to vehicle in time gone by. It was not 2-5 hp either it was increments of 5 hp at the discretion of NHRA not any average no matter how it was manipulated. You would just open up the National Dragster at any given time to see new HP numbers posted. How about the joke of hitting red Malibu 2 doors at one point. The system is getting a major overhaul this winter from what I gather anyway.

Last edited by Paul Wong; 11-21-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Paul Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:37 AM   #69
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

I would only change rules that had a direct benefit to me.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #70
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
I would only change rules that had a direct benefit to me.
Excellent point. I would call it the Clinton Foundation Rule, and it would also allow any competitor to punch another competitor in the face, if he believes that competitor took too long to stage.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote