HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 11-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 258 Posts
Default Re: Fury - WWII Movie

Same here SS. My first Father-in-Law was a tanker with Patton.
Hardly ever said anything about his experiences. Took his duty very seriously. The things he did talked about were mostly stories about his buddies. He took the good and the bad to his grave. Great guy! RIP, Charlie.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cool Re: Fury - WWII Movie

I understand what you're saying,,, my dad and some uncles were in WWII and they preferred not to talk about their experiences also, but its Hollywood's job to produce a product that the public will want to watch, whether its 3 guys chasing a shark, an alien wanting to phone home, a caped crusader fighting a homicidal maniac or a tank crew holding off the enemy deep behind enemy lines. Most movies will have some inaccuracies, especially to some who are passionate about a given topic, (How about Snake & Mongoose?) but for the most part I believe they strive for accuracy in films such as this one. Theres a movie coming after the first of the year called American Sniper, about our country's most celebrated( probably not the best choice of words) sniper for the last few years from conflicts in the middle east. I'm sure many of us will go see it,, I know I will, maybe not so much for the entertainment value, but for perhaps an understanding and/or education of what our guys are going through over there. Seeing the movie Fury was also just that for me. I'm not sticking up for it, just stating that I enjoyed it.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
Troy Henderson

Liked 105 Times in 32 Posts

Fury was good, hard to pack a plot into a two hour movie covering war.

American sniper should be a winner also. I read Cooper was going to do his best to accurately honer Kyle's story.
Troy Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
RonP

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Smile Re: Fury - WWII Movie

My wife and I watched Fury on Sunday. The movie was too intense for my wife to like. I personally liked, but I agree, not much of a plot, but that was OK for me. I also saw the trailer for "Unbroken",...another WWII movie in the Pacific Theater. Looking forward to that one too.

The one thing that I noticed about the movie was all the ricochete shots (bullets & shells).
A friend and I went shooting several years ago late in the day. When it started to get dark. We shot a few tracer rounds. Much to my surprise,...those rounds can bounce 100-200 yards beyond your target,...maybe more. I'm guessing the height was +100 ft above the ground.

I have a book I would recommend titled, " Into the Rising Sun." This book is all first hand accounts of the Pacific War. The author also wrote a similar book for the European theater too,..which I have yet to purchase.

Thanks, RonP
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #15
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Glad you liked it Ron,, I also saw the trailer for "Unbroken" based on a true story of a WWII POW. You can also find it on www.imdb.com which is "internet movie data base, a great site for all kinds of movie and entertainment info. Take care.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
RonP

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Hi,
I watched a good documentary on the Smithsonian channel last night about the making of the movie, "Fury". The title of the doc. was "Tank Fury". If you liked the movie you should like this too.
Thanks
Ron
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 833 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Same here SS. My first Father-in-Law was a tanker with Patton.
Hardly ever said anything about his experiences. Took his duty very seriously. The things he did talked about were mostly stories about his buddies. He took the good and the bad to his grave. Great guy! RIP, Charlie.
My dads only brother was killed with Patton over on the Rine River in mid 1945. Some place called Metz France. His remains were sent home 2 years later(after the war). Meanwhile dad was in the Philippines, in Manila . He never talked about it, but I saw pictures of the place,or what was left of it... after the war. I figured if he wanted to talk about it he would ....and he never did. I got several stories about boot camp...but that was it.

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 12-04-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
It's not very historically correct. Typical hollywood embellishment and many military equipment innaccuracies. But if you like blood,guts and big booms it will do.

Ed F,
Student of WWII armaments.
What Inaccuracies? I'm curious. I have a friend who helped as a tech advisor on that movie.

I liked that movie. There aren't to many movies about WW2 being made in this day and age, so when you get one like this you appreciate it for what it is. The fact that they used a real working Tiger 1 tank makes it cool. There has never been one used in a movie before FURY. In fact there are only about 2 functioning ones in existence at this time. Plus 3 working Sherman's in the same movie is rare as well. Compared to the early movies that we all love. PATTON, THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE, THE LONGEST DAY, KELLY'S HEROES and ect this movie had more historically accurate equipment and weapons then any of those made. Saving Pvt Ryan was a great movie, and the benchmark for all WW2 movies. The tanks on the German side were Russian T34's converted to look like Tiger tanks for that movie. Fury is the benchmark for WW2 movies featuring armor. The last battle scene was a bit over the top with the SS. No movie is perfect. Fury was pretty good in my opinion.

Last edited by Todd Hoven; 12-04-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Todd Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:44 AM   #19
Nicolas Blakesley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo DiTocco View Post
I saw it & thought it was barely OK - because there really was no plot to it other than what was previously described.......... the newbie, the predictably wacky (each in their own unique way) crew, the burned out Army Super-Lifer who flip flops between blind rage and Jesus like compassion and righteousness. In a way I feel like the movie is an insult to the veterans who were really there. I mean..... c'mon - was that part where they forced the new guy to murder the surrendering German soldier really necessary?
My dad & most of his close friends were WWII vets. Three of them were in the Army infantry in that very battle - the battle of the bulge. Two of the three were cut off from their units - one was captured, one got frostbite losing a couple of toes and the tip of his nose, his cheeks bearing the additional scars- his whole life. These guys rarely talked about their experiences and the rare instances when they did, they never glorified it. As a matter of fact one of them, Vinny DeLuca told me that the experience was so horrifying that he felt that anyone who glorified war was "an asshole".
I've seen the movie fury its a gritty film, with great productions values, really period vehicles, settings and costume. The acting is good, but it is let down by one things - Unrealistic battle scenes.