HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #771
TOSTO RACING

Liked 471 Times in 136 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Todd save the call to cal trac. I chose not to weld my bottom bar on the wheelie bar and just use a bolt to set height (I figured I would weld it once I made a few runs so I can set height perfect) and mine hit the ground so hard it broke the bolt on a pass leaving the bar dragging down the track !!! I set my bar 13 inches on these runs. Now its 15 inches off the ground to hopefully not have it hit on the leave.

I think its a stick car thing as far as axle movement maybe a good shock will stabalize it a bit more idk.

Last edited by TOSTO RACING; 12-12-2018 at 08:15 PM.
TOSTO RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #772
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING View Post
Todd save the call to cal trac. I chose not to weld my bottom bar on the wheelie bar and just use a bolt to set height (I figured I would weld it once I made a few runs so I can set height perfect) and mine hit the ground so hard it broke the bolt on a pass leaving the bar dragging down the track !!! I set my bar 13 inches on these runs. Now its 15 inches off the ground to hopefully not have it hit on the leave.

I think its a stick car thing as far as axle movement maybe a good shock will stabalize it a bit more idk.
I did the same thing, bolted it to get it right then I'll weld. Crazy how much it moves. I have a new set of DA shocks on the way to replace the Caltrac shocks.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #773
J&S Racing

Liked 288 Times in 78 Posts

Not sure if it was shenanigans but when ken found my car was a stick he sold me on a bigger diameter bar. It’s crazy how violent the bars move shifting a stick. ( could see it in your first vid )

When I recently ordered my rear shocks Marty had me measure from the mounting spot to the cal tracs with the rear end hanging. He mentioned some stick guys having issues with to short of rear shock travel.
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #774
TOSTO RACING

Liked 471 Times in 136 Posts

I also got the bigger bar from Ken because of the stick . I think the shock deal is the ticket in fixing this . Actually my bottom bar is slightly bent from smacking the ground also . What's weird is I don't remember the dual bars ever smacking the ground like this and it shouldn't matter they both bolt to the housing ?? I dont have a real good shock yet just a single adjustable so we will see .
Old 12-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #775
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&S Racing View Post
Not sure if it was shenanigans but when ken found my car was a stick he sold me on a bigger diameter bar. It’s crazy how violent the bars move shifting a stick. ( could see it in your first vid )

When I recently ordered my rear shocks Marty had me measure from the mounting spot to the cal tracs with the rear end hanging. He mentioned some stick guys having issues with to short of rear shock travel.
I could definately see a real traction issue if the shocks were to bottom out. I noticed a puddle in the trailer and one shock was all wet so it must be time. I ordered QA-1 shocks, not the best but hopefully they'll be up to the task.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #776
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING View Post
I also got the bigger bar from Ken because of the stick . I think the shock deal is the ticket in fixing this . Actually my bottom bar is slightly bent from smacking the ground also . What's weird is I don't remember the dual bars ever smacking the ground like this and it shouldn't matter they both bolt to the housing ?? I dont have a real good shock yet just a single adjustable so we will see .
When I purchased the car the shocks were full loose so I put them back the same way, I can see where a stiffer shock setting would calm it down a bit.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #777
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
I know this is a longshot but I have been waiting for a Grant quick release steering wheel hub (for a stock GM column) for 8 weeks and it looks like Grant won't have them to ship till October, we need something shallow and this would be perfect. If anyone knows where one of these are hiding I need it, otherwise I guess just a regular install kit till the end of the year.
http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/230/

An update to the quick release saga... the ship date has been moved all the way to 2-22-19 which at that point will be 7 months. I'd say Grant needs to re-evaluate the vendors they work with.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #778
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
When I purchased the car the shocks were full loose so I put them back the same way, I can see where a stiffer shock setting would calm it down a bit.
Before good shocks were available, road race or dirt track 50/50 shocks were the answer. Very stiff.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #779
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Before good shocks were available, road race or dirt track 50/50 shocks were the answer. Very stiff.
Gonna need a log book.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #780
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Interesting from 28 to 32 seconds. -Al

https://www.facebook.com/jim.schaech...epa=SEARCH_BOX