HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts
Default Re: Who had the most successful Modified Production car?

Always a Favorite Son from D1.
Larry Kopp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo30 (Copy).jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	8622  
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rice View Post
I know I'm partial but this fellow didn't do too bad during his Modified days!
Bob Rice

And a really good guy.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
Scotty D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there was 3 granny goose cars.to my kowledge hiner&miller never had the granny goose,the 1st one was a 62 corvette that was sold to warren gross that owned competition milling,warren sold the car to a guy by the name of freddie logan here in cincy.warren boght the car in 70-71.car 2 was the 69 camaro that was raced by bruce scott and dave lewis (their nicknames where goose and granny hence the name granny goose)70or71 to start till like 74 when jerry cooley got it and raced it.car 3 was a 64-65 corvette that was only raced a handfull of times by dave lewis only bruce was done racing by this time,dave lewis only raced this car a couple years if that because he was having some health issues.hiner &miller may have borrowed the car,but to my knowledge never owned it.the granny goose cars were very competitive close to cincy but never really traveled very far.these were some of my favorite cars mp history
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
BadBanana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A lot of good answers here, especially the first several. I really don't remember much about Paul Blevins' Nomad, but I do think his "Scotto and Blevins" Corvette was super.
BadBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Depends on if you're talking about the Modified Production classes ONLY (A/MP thru H/MP)...or Modified Eliminator as a whole....If MP class...I would have to say the "Checkmate" Camaro(s) although certainly Blevins,Caudle,Kopp, and Cotton are certainly up there too....If you mean Modified Eliminator...then some of those guys again...although Garley, and also the Opel...ring a bell....

My "ol school" sentimental favorite is Ralph Ridgeway's '55 Chev C/MP-D/MP....many-time record holder/class winner, and a few Nat. events as well.

Invented the "tunnel-ram" intake manifold in the mid/late '60's as an alternative to the then popular crossram setups...any racers out there remember this time frame?
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
there was 3 granny goose cars.to my kowledge hiner&miller never had the granny goose,the 1st one was a 62 corvette that was sold to warren gross that owned competition milling,warren sold the car to a guy by the name of freddie logan here in cincy.warren boght the car in 70-71.car 2 was the 69 camaro that was raced by bruce scott and dave lewis (their nicknames where goose and granny hence the name granny goose)70or71 to start till like 74 when jerry cooley got it and raced it.car 3 was a 64-65 corvette that was only raced a handfull of times by dave lewis only bruce was done racing by this time,dave lewis only raced this car a couple years if that because he was having some health issues.hiner &miller may have borrowed the car,but to my knowledge never owned it.the granny goose cars were very competitive close to cincy but never really traveled very far.these were some of my favorite cars mp history
Not sure who owned it but I raced against it in Xenia, Ohio and Hiner + Miller were wheeling it - I thought

Later they put a four barrel on it and spoiled my dominance in GT-3 in AHRA 1970 - damn NHRA guys - LOL - in GT-3 it was re-panted and not called "Granny Goose" - probably a different car

Of course my memory could be obscured with age - It was a very high winding '69 Camaro - light blue and gray I think - It was "Granny Goose" that much I am sure of - in the 8th miles races of the day it was all about rear end gear 6.14 seems familiar - the flywheel weight varied from 10 lbs to 40 lbs depending on what the "trick of the week" was

Forgive me any errors in memory

It was a NHRA Modified Production car turned AHRA GT-3

:-) peace

Last edited by Andys dad; 08-14-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Andys dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBanana View Post
A lot of good answers here, especially the first several. I really don't remember much about Paul Blevins' Nomad, but I do think his "Scotto and Blevins" Corvette was super.
Dave
He had the nomad first but did run both cars at the same time. I think Bill I don't remember how to spell his last name drove the vette.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

I'm surprised no one mentioned Coleman Roddy, two time World Champ.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P Chapman View Post
Dave
He had the nomad first but did run both cars at the same time. I think Bill I don't remember how to spell his last name drove the vette.

Dennis it sounds like your thinking of Bill Izykowski
He drove a number of cars after the Biscaynes...

Blevins Nomad was pretty much the best /MP car of the era around here......F and G usually......and always ran fast

Larry Kopp did a lot of winning and had very good cars but we had a lot good cars in this area....I liked his early Corvette best....'61 or '62

Garley's Nova was at least a tenth quicker than the rest of the other C/SM's at the Summers around '78 or '79.

Modified eliminator was really something to see back around 1975-1980
Even the earlier era when it was called Street eliminator....mid '60s on was great...
Old 08-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #20
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
Dennis it sounds like your thinking of Bill Izykowski
He drove a number of cars after the Biscaynes...

Blevins Nomad was pretty much the best /MP car of the era around here......F and G usually......and always ran fast

Larry Kopp did a lot of winning and had very good cars but we had a lot good cars in this area....I liked his early Corvette best....'61 or '62

Garley's Nova was at least a tenth quicker than the rest of the other C/SM's at the Summers around '78 or '79.

Modified eliminator was really something to see back around 1975-1980
Even the earlier era when it was called Street eliminator....mid '60s on was great...
That was him Rich the Biscayne was a good car also.