HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 02-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts
Default Boss Block and Stock Heads

How many more ways can Ford screw up a good thing? They made a great block with great materials and bulked it up in the right places but decided to shorten the bores for all the wrong reasons and there's something else that they screwed up.

They put scalloped water jackets on the outside of the deck so now you can't use a production heads on the block. The lip of the water jackets are uncovered with the stock head. That was never a problem with the R302 block. There were round holes drilled on that block. If you needed to you could just plug them.

I don't care who from Ford Racing comes on here and spews some reason for this stupid design. They just gave away business to Dart that did their homework and probably looked at heads and asked racers what their blocks should have and should not have.

At any rate, has anybody managed to make the Boss Block work with production 302 heads? I would be grateful to learn how since I now have a $2000 block that is worthless for stock and super stock.

:
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 89 Times in 33 Posts
Default Re: Boss Block and Stock Heads

...well know the...dilemma...went same route when doing fresh motor for our stock eliminator fox body GT...ended up just purchasing the Dart...as well...nobody ever said..."engaging" with this Ford stuff...wuz gonna' be... ez...lol...Ford Boss block was/is nice though...!!!
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
SSGT Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKE VISCOME View Post
...well know the...dilemma...went same route when doing fresh motor for our stock eliminator fox body GT...ended up just purchasing the Dart...as well...nobody ever said..."engaging" with this Ford stuff...wuz gonna' be... ez...lol...Ford Boss block was/is nice though...!!!
Thanks. I've been a Ford man for 40 years and they just seem to go out of their way to make it almost impossible for drag racers to compete. They've been doing this forever. I don't know why I still bother. I mean why do they bother offering up a great new block only to limit its use. There is NO reason to do what they did with this block other than make it easier to do their stroker crate motors. To do what they did to the water jackets is special kind of stupid. I've have G-Blocks, R-Blocks, production blocks that never had a cooling problem. I have R-452 block from a winning nascar team that has round holes for the water jackets. What does Ford do? Create a new block and screw it up with stupid design "ideas."

I'm just baffled by it.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
BRETV

Liked 596 Times in 147 Posts

My superstock motor Kuntz did has a Boss block with stock cast iron E7TE heads. Might wanna ask them

Bret Velde
2003 SS/LA.
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
Steve Stickel

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

Boss Block, Iron (Explorer) GT40P's, Cometic .027 mlg , no issues
Steve Stickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 89 Times in 33 Posts

Hey...Good news is...thank goodness a whole bunch of guys WAY smarter than I...figured it out !!!...guess I gave up too ez...just moved on to Dart...old adage true...NEVER a day goes by...can't learn sumptin' 'eh...been that way...for lots of years...lol
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
SSGT Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stickel View Post
Boss Block, Iron (Explorer) GT40P's, Cometic .027 mlg , no issues
That's good to hear but I put the heads on the block and there's water jacket openings as clear as day with an E7. It's not much but its there. I cant see how it would not leak since there's no head surface to seal the gasket to the block.

Since Ford made this great idea you would think they would make some kind of expansion plug for the holes. I may make my own punch and die but Ford should have already done that.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
SSGT Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETV View Post
My superstock motor Kuntz did has a Boss block with stock cast iron E7TE heads. Might wanna ask them

Bret Velde
2003 SS/LA.
Thanks. I'll give them a call.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
BRETV

Liked 596 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT Mustang View Post
Thanks. I'll give them a call.
Cometic gaskets too

Bret Velde
2003 SS/LA
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
west coast

Liked 103 Times in 45 Posts

Ok just relax i had the same thing happen to me. Filled it up on the dyno poured out i looked like idiot. Had a machine shop put cast iron rod pressed in the block to fill those holes. Cost me $600 i think but all has been good, this is a stocker with e7te heads been this way for years now lots of runs on it. In the catalog there is fine print about this didn't see this till after the fact. Have pictures on an old phone can send you. Will be a couple of weeks till i get home, racing in Arizona right now.