Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Question Re: So...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Terry, I don't think it was all about money and cutting costs. I think it was at least as much about absolute control. Glendora did not have absolute and total control over all of it, especially not the data. They do, now.
Maybe so but why have 2 dorks who nothing about stock and S/S be involved with something as important as the AHFS?????
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,062 Times in 281 Posts
Default Re: So...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Maybe so but why have 2 dorks who nothing about stock and S/S be involved with something as important as the AHFS?????
Because you can tell them what you want, instead of them telling you what needs to be done. The less they know, the easier they are to control.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Guys,

We might as well say it straight out. The good ship nhra is foundering. They are making all the wrong moves at exactly the wrong time; obvious signs of an outfit in serious trouble. The rumor mill is full of stuff about nhra being washed up. With little or no reserves it appears that nhra is living off the cash from each race. Executives in Glendora must be fearful for their jobs, as they circle the wagons. Car counts are way, way down and I did not see the normally huge crowds at the Gators this year. Yeah, there were lots of fans there but nothing like the past. This bad economy has a lot to do with it as well. I heard they have resorted to giving tickets away at NASCAR races to fill the stands for the TV cameras. I hope the nhra bean counters are paying attention. Or they could be finished by the end of the year!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
Guys,

We might as well say it straight out. The good ship nhra is foundering. They are making all the wrong moves at exactly the wrong time; obvious signs of an outfit in serious trouble. The rumor mill is full of stuff about nhra being washed up. With little or no reserves it appears that nhra is living off the cash from each race. Executives in Glendora must be fearful for their jobs, as they circle the wagons. Car counts are way, way down and I did not see the normally huge crowds at the Gators this year. Yeah, there were lots of fans there but nothing like the past. This bad economy has a lot to do with it as well. I heard they have resorted to giving tickets away at NASCAR races to fill the stands for the TV cameras. I hope the nhra bean counters are paying attention. Or they could be finished by the end of the year!

If they are hurting that bad,I would expect them to have an announcement that Stock Eliminator will be allowed to race at Atlanta and St Louis.I can't believe they would eliminate the class at these two races if they truly wanted to increase revenue.I don't know about Atlanta,but I think St Louis would easily have about 80 cars if Stock Eliminator was being contested.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Do you think that the contingency agreements that were worked out last year may have something to do with the category structures? You may have noticed that there are no category lock outs for Las Vegas and nhra has substantially increased quotas for this years events. They are not immune to this mess.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,249 Times in 1,238 Posts

I have to disagree Bruce, the parking lots were full, the camp grounds full, the stands were full. I purposely stayed away from pro pits because there were so many fans. I don't see the doom and gloom, I have not heard any rumors about NHRA having money problems. The racers, tech people and manufactures that I talked to are all upbeat. When I went out to eat, the norm was 20 to 30 min wait. I think NHRA will be here for a long time along with stock and super stock. If NHRA survived the 70's I think they will be able to get through these times.

People can put any spin on what the times are today, but for me the late 70's were the worst, its not even close. Today people worry about how many cars they can own, how big there house is, back in the 70's I was happy to have one car and a warm place to live.

I'm sorry guys, I am not a doom and gloom guy. You say NHRA is fondering, well I don't see it.
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,062 Times in 281 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily say NHRA is actually foundering. But they have lost focus, and they are wandering off in a direction that leads to nowhere, especially where sportsman racing is concerned.

Ken, you are correct, we have not yet gotten to the low we reached under Carter in the late seventies. The problem is many people are not at all convinced we won't reach that low, or go even lower.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
63corvette

Liked 291 Times in 90 Posts

I attended the Phoenix National race and the fan count was down and the midway was much smaller than years past. Comp eliminator car count was next to nothing. I think there was 11 cars I am not sure.
I also have a personal friend who works at NHRA in Glendora and there was a 10% pay cut for all the hourly employees and a layoff of some. Not sure how many were laid off. So I think NHRA must be feeling a pinch.
My 2 Cents
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Kenny,

It's good that we can disagree. But I did not see what you saw. Yes, there were a lot of people there but not like I have seen in the past. I walked right into the Out Back, Ballyhoo Seafood and a popular Mexican restaurant on three separate evenings and was immediately seated. We must have eaten at different times. And I guess, while we are politely disagreeing, the parking lots did not appear to be as full as before and the mid way was a lot easier to get around than any time before. And the car count was down over 100 cars on an already reduced quota. Just my .02 worth - we are not talking doom and gloom. Reality maybe - but no doom and gloom. There is no point in running from the obvious. That kind of stuff helped us get into the mess we are in. And we are in a mess. We all get up every day to go to work and do our part to help this country get out of this mess. I'm sure the folks at nhra are doing the same thing but it may be too little too late.

I have to add one remark about the seventies and agree with Alan. We have not seen the total picture yet. Most good economists are skipping over the 70's and going back to the 30's to paint a picture of the fix this country is in. We have not seen the whole picture yet. It is evolving and it would not be smart to ignore what is going on. It may not have hit some of us yet but many racers are hurting.

Last edited by Bruce Noland; 03-15-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Bruce Noland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Cool Re: So...................

63corvette!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything said if the BIG DOGS took a 10% cut , or a temp layoff (heh,heh), Ya Right , Just curious!.............Later.........John