Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #11
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Best shifter for metric 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Vassar View Post
Ed,it says precision performance products on it and it is black. I don't know what the hell happened to it. Because it works now. I do look things over on our car,and try to keep stuff replaced,serviced..etc.but a shifter failure 1st round at a natl event won't happen again. I'll look it over when I take it out to see what might have happened. We had a turbo action in a bracket car yrs ago, and I think that's what I'll go with.
That is what I have. Never had it apart. If I should be doing something to it, I would sure appreciate knowing what.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #12
Joe Schweigert

Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I have had my Precision shifter since the day I made a Super Stocker out of it. Always worked perfectly. Never had to touch it. Been using it since 2007? Maybe somebody could clue me in on the maintenance you have been doing? Sounds like I have been lax.
Thanks!
Ed I just lube the moving parts silicone spray or other spray lube I would not rec white grease tends to attract dirt
Old 10-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Thank you Joe!!
Old 10-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #14
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

The only problem I ever had with the PPP was operator error. You have to adjust the cable with the shifter in second gear...if careless it is easy to move the shifter handle from it's optimal position by snagging the cable end under the car. I now double check the shifter every time when swapping/replacing the transmission.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #15
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

90%Of the S/SS cars I work on in my shop either have the Cheetah shifter or are getting one installed .
I drove a DragPak Challenger I built with PPP shifter and had trouble with shifting right thru second gear .
Operator problem , Yes . My big clumsy hand kept hitting the trigger ! .....But I've never had that problem with any Cheetah equipped car I drove.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #16
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

I always check the cable adjustment when putting the eng & trans back in the car. Mine is shifted by air. So far it has been flawless.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #17
Signman

Liked 198 Times in 73 Posts

The Turbo Action shifter is great but not so good with manual shift reverse pattern valve body. Very easy to slip from 2nd to 3rd. Did it many times had enough.
Precision shifter is the best, a little spray now and then if it gets stiff. Once in low gear each shift is just hitting the handle with you palm nothing more. Don't keep your hand on or hold it, after each shift it needs to reset to be ready to hit it again on the next gear change.
With any shifter you choose proper adjustment is required when installing any transmission just to avoid dumb stuff we all run in to anyway.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #18
Eman

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

On the maintenance side....I never would have believed how much the cable resistance was after years of no lube. Shifter worked but not like it should. I removed the cable and sprayed cable lube in it so it ran down to the bottom and it really freed it up. I tried one of those motorcycle cable lube tools but the cable is too thick. that would be the trick for in the car lube.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

When possible and if available, use a control cable that has a Teflon liner and lubrication will not be required.
Also, make sure the control cable is not exposed to excessive heat. Excessive heat will dry out the lubricant or deteriorate the cable.
If the control cable does not have a Teflon liner, lubricate with a spray lube designed for open chains that contains Moly Disulfide. One great lubricant is ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Lubricant.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #20
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

We have a PPP shifter in our AMX and i was a little skeptical playing with it just sitting in the car but going down the track and actually using it, it works great. we ran a cheetah before that and simply changed because the red PPP matched the interior of the car better.
pfordamx is offline   Reply With Quote