Old 07-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #21
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 235 Times in 102 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk
Default Re: Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Brand 505B View Post
After racing at half of the national event tracks in the country I've come to the conclusion on Bandimere's pit status. For those that regularly race there the restroom status at the national is the same as a regular bracket race. For those that only come once a year for the national, you pit past the sand trap. Now this sounds far from the starting line and it is, but no where near as far away as topeka or gainesville. If you enjoy racing Sundays there aren't many places that equate to the feeling of Bandimere. Most spectators stick around for the sportsman rounds whether they plan to or Bandimere schedules it that way. You feel like you're racing in front of more people than you have ever have before. All in all it's a great experience.
Well put Michael

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #22
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
For those that only come once a year for the national, you pit past the sand trap. Now this sounds far from the starting line and it is, but no where near as far away as topeka or gainesville. .
We are talking National Events, right.
At Topeka you do not pit past the sand trap so it is not as far away and you get to use the road course to go to the staging lanes. At your own speed and no traffic or spectators. If you want at Topeka you can also buy electric hookup for the weekend which is great if you use a RV and it is hot.
At Denver you are way past the sand trap and in the rocks which get carried to the starting line and thrown back at the racers and pit crew during the burnouts.
At Denver you also must fight the crowds going to the staging lanes on a very narrow two way road filled with crowds of people who have no idea of what giving the race car some courtesy movement out of the way is.
The only positive I can say about the track facilities is the downhill run in the staging lanes.
It is nice not to have to start the car over and over.
It is nice as long as the car behind you has a good parking brake of some type.
The racing surface is great as long as the race crew pays attention and keeps it that way.
My 2 Cents From Experience
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #23
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts
Talking Re: Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark yacavone View Post
i don't know..it's a big mystery

https://www.nhraeventreg.com/listeventstatus.asp

lol !

Last edited by farmco r/sa; 07-19-2018 at 10:42 PM.
farmco r/sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #24
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover44 View Post
Who's all going to the Mile Highs in Denver
Thanks Jake for starting the yearly thread. !

Mile high nationals would not be quite the same
without it....
Hope all the puppies are well..
Old 07-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #25
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 194 Times in 77 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24

Quote:
After racing at half of the national event tracks in the country I've come to the conclusion on Bandimere's pit status. For those that regularly race there the restroom status at the national is the same as a regular bracket race. For those that only come once a year for the national, you pit past the sand trap. Now this sounds far from the starting line and it is, but no where near as far away as topeka or gainesville. If you enjoy racing Sundays there aren't many places that equate to the feeling of Bandimere. Most spectators stick around for the sportsman rounds whether they plan to or Bandimere schedules it that way. You feel like you're racing in front of more people than you have ever have before. All in all it's a great experience.
To add to what Michael said, they also are the only track (at national event level), that I've raced on (and I've been to many in both D5, and D7, plus a couple thus far in D4's area), that has a cool-down area that will cool about 10 cars side-by-side at one time, as well as the down hill staging lanes. I'm still wishing I could have a do-over of the quarter-finals against Ryan McClanahan (and this is another reason I moved to Phoenix), because my failure of handling Denver's 98 degree temperature on Sunday (after posting a .006 package on Tony Hernandez in the 3rd round, and my inexperience with being past round three of a national event), caused me to rush up to the staging lanes after getting some cool refreshment for myself negating a certain rnd 4 winning cool down on my intake plenum. My car was .013 over my 16.66 sec. index and Ryan was only .015 over his dial....had I just ran .06 quicker, the way he passed me down track, I would've broken him out, and I would've been racing Mike Loge in the semi's. I've been wanting a rematch with Ryan ever since, and now that I live here in D7, someday I may get it, but I wish I could have that race over again....

Lane and Randy were very helpful to me at that race, and I'm forever thankful to them for it, and although I won't be there this year, I have some unfinished business up there at that race, after two 3rd round and one 4th (quarter-final) round finish, so that track and that race are on my radar for the future, and my work has allowed my racing budget to continuously improve year by year, so Bandimere Speedway will see me again, although I won't get to possibly race Ryan in that Firebird Formula again (since he sold it or parked it?), but somehow, someday, someway I'll get a rematch with him (because on the starting line I was 4-0, but sadly 3-1 at the finish), and I can't wait!!!!

Next time I make it that far in a race, if you know someone who wants to make an easy $20 bucks, have them show up in the lanes with a soda cup with lots of ice in it....if I don't remember my own, I'll probably buy it from them!!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)

Last edited by GarysZ24; 07-19-2018 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Unfinished post, but at least I finished this!
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #26
Demon340

Liked 94 Times in 24 Posts

Hard to run in 8'000 plus feet of air!
We have always been treated fair by the staff. Just hard to tow from the west with bad roads and mountain passes,
Demon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #27
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts

I have never raced at the Denver track but have been there several times as a spectator, and will be there Sunday for the finals.

In my opinion it is a very nice track, I really like being able to walk out of the pits into the top of the grandstands.

That being said, I fully understand the short fields in Stock and Super Stock. The distance from the starting line is one thing but not unique. Given the configuration, cut into the side of a mountain not much else they can do. However as pointed out the Stock and Super Stock pits are dirty and dusty.

The owners certainly are not afraid to spend money, geez who else has a starting line surface that can be cooled or heated as necessary.

They are astute business people so my only guess is that they don't think there would be a return on their investment.

My plan after the race is to write a polite letter and copy NHRA that I am a Stock/Super Stock fan and I was disappointed by the low car count and tell them why I think few folks will come.

I would suggest any of the racers here, that would like to race at Denver and won't do the same thing.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #28
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 235 Times in 102 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon340 View Post
Hard to run in 8'000 plus feet of air!,
That's a decent day. Worst I`ve run in so far this season has been 9250` ish DA.

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #29
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
That's a decent day. Worst I`ve run in so far this season has been 9250` ish DA.
pretty sue it's been over 10K at times and changes regularly
still the nicest track I've ever been on...
Old 07-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #30
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
I have never raced at the Denver track but have been there several times as a spectator, and will be there Sunday for the finals.

In my opinion it is a very nice track, I really like being able to walk out of the pits into the top of the grandstands.

That being said, I fully understand the short fields in Stock and Super Stock. The distance from the starting line is one thing but not unique. Given the configuration, cut into the side of a mountain not much else they can do. However as pointed out the Stock and Super Stock pits are dirty and dusty.

The owners certainly are not afraid to spend money, geez who else has a starting line surface that can be cooled or heated as necessary.

They are astute business people so my only guess is that they don't think there would be a return on their investment.

My plan after the race is to write a polite letter and copy NHRA that I am a Stock/Super Stock fan and I was disappointed by the low car count and tell them why I think few folks will come.

I would suggest any of the racers here, that would like to race at Denver and won't do the same thing.

Bill
To answer your question, Galot Motorsports Park here in Division2 has heated and cooled starting line. Denver looks like a cool place, I would like to run but I will have to wait until my retirement years most likely. Its a bit of a tow from here on the East coast!