HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Towing with a 1/2 Suburban

We had the same vintage half ton 305 4x4 it worked OK unless you'r in the mountains. ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
Queball Lattie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I towed a 24 ft. Classic with a 91 3/4 ton Suburban with a dually conversion. 454 with a 480L, air bags, equalizer hitch, and 2 sway bars. Would not stop in a hurry. Being passed by 18 wheelers was an adventure in itself. Not the most optimum tow vehicle. I now have a Duramax cc dually and it's like day and night. No more white knuckle for several hours and being worn out when you get to the track. Racing is only 50% of the outing. 25% is getting there and 25% is getting home.
Queball Lattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #23
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,776 Times in 569 Posts

My boy is in the trailer business and built me a special light 24 Ft. Enclosed
triple axle with brakes on all of them. It weighs only about 3000 empty and
hauls my race car 3200/1000 gear pretty well behind my Dodge 2011 Short
bed 1500. I run 1200lb leverage bars and go to and from LA a lot. He charged me about $6800
which is not cheap but less than many. a 26 Ftwould be $400 more. He said that is limit to the size he would build without
a eight inch much heavier frame instead of 6 Inch enclosed tubing. If you could afford that kind of investment ...
might be OK for a while after the changes you are making.

I would rather have a bigger truck but the 1500 gets around 20 when not towing and my boys 6.7 3500 get 12 not towing
and I can't afford it after paying his darn gas bills every month!

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 05-21-2012 at 02:55 AM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Whatever you do, make sure you have more than enough brakes on the trailer. With my 1 ton dually and 3 axle trailer with brakes on all 3 axles, all it takes is for the one idiot on the road to cut you off to scare you to death. Driving across the USA, you will have traffic, road construction, and rush hour to deal with, and many idiots, that have no idea that you cannot turn on a dime, or stop on one either. The brakes is the most important part of what you need for safety. That would be for my safety and anyone else on the road around you. When the trailer starts pushing you through an intersection, and you have no control, then will it be worth all the money invested for a short term fix? The people giving the advice here are speaking from experience.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Some of you have been a big help, the rest of you I didn't realize you started out as millionares to afford new toys and such. Everybody starts with a budget, unfort. mine is very low. Thanks for the "help", but I have to ask, when any of you started, did other classracers treat you this bad? Just had to ask. For now, I'm done with classracer, not f-ing worth it. Now you all can go back to crying about the CJs and DPs and COPOs.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #26
Philip Saran

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Rick,

Sorry you feel this way, what most everyone has been trying to tell you is simply
you want to tow too much weight for the tow vehicle you want to use.

And personally I do not want to be the guy in front or in back of your rig on the
highway when you can't stop or control your vehicle in a panic situation.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #27
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick lester View Post
Some of you have been a big help, the rest of you I didn't realize you started out as millionares to afford new toys and such. Everybody starts with a budget, unfort. mine is very low. Thanks for the "help", but I have to ask, when any of you started, did other classracers treat you this bad? Just had to ask. For now, I'm done with classracer, not f-ing worth it. Now you all can go back to crying about the CJs and DPs and COPOs.

Rick
I'm not a millionaire; I just finished eating my 3038th baloney sandwich so I can save a couple of bucks over the cost of eating at the cafeteria.
I started out with a home made tow bar and a borrowed truck to get to the track and over those last 35+ years I have continually upgraded my equipment.
But in your case I was only trying to give you the benefit of my experience and help you avoid a mistake I had made myself.(fortunately my wife liked driving the Suburban.)
Class racer is a unique public form where people can and do take “pot shots” at you while being nearly totally anonymous and yes when I purposed some things that were or are unpopular I was called everything but a : “Heterosexual “Caucasian”. So yea they can be a little rough (actually brutal)
But I continue to tolerate those who are “crying about the CJs and DPs and COPOs. Because even after all these years , I still learn some things for the decent guys on this form.
Class racer, not unlike the internet as a whole, it has a lot of good information but there’s also a lot of BS.
Hang in there after a while, you’ll learn who to listen to and who is just pounding their chest!

Last edited by Bill Baer; 05-22-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts

Rick, I started out with with a donated POS Ford 100 with 300/6 three speed and a borrowed trailer that was used to haul firewood when I was not using it. My truck has a hole about 6 " wide in the driver's area. I would throw my discarded sunflower seeds thre the hole while diving. The radio was busted so I had a old 9 volt AM radio to provide music. So not all is started out as thoudsandaies either. But eating lots of chicken and mac and cheese I saved up and slowly improved.

I tried towing my new/used 24" trailer with my upgraded truck Ramcharger and got the scare of my life. I do not you to go through the same thing
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
brett3533

Liked 33 Times in 9 Posts

You may want to take the money for upgrades and look into a trailer toad. Then be sure to get the upgraded heavier axles,tires and brakes on all axles on the trailer. It is easy to get going and keep going but you can never get enough brakes. It will be important to choose a trailer that has axles in the location to match and center the weight of the car being transported. the trailer toad will take care of the sway and get rid of most of the tongue weight.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,776 Times in 569 Posts

Rick: I felt the same way when I first went on Class Racer three year back!

I persisted and found out there are a hundred Good Guys for every.............jerk.

If I can help you... I am at Vegas Track pretty much every time it is opened
if I can be of any assistance to you: Come Introduce yourself anytime.

We give up a lot of things to be able to go racing. For us the friendship
we make are worth the Sacrifice.

John Irving AKA GTX JOHN
Racer7411@yahoo.com

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 05-23-2012 at 07:19 AM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote