HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #21
pmrphil

Liked 246 Times in 105 Posts
Default Re: cometic head gaskets

Looks like a broach was used, certainly not CBN or grinder.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #22
BillK

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry-war View Post
Bill,
the difference in pattern and where the combustion escaped.
Bryce
Bryce,
I was thinking about this a little. Do you have a picture of the entire deck surface in one shot ? Did it look like it was done in two different cuts ?? I have seen some Dart blocks come with a pretty terrible finish from the factory that almost looks like they made two passes with different cutters. I does not matter because I am going to surface it anyway but I wonder if yours is just the factory finish ?

Just thinking out loud
Old 06-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #23
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Milling machines like a Storm Vulcan 85 B can leave a poor finish if the carbide cutters are not kept sharp and or the speed is too fast.

You hit some weld spots on factory blocks and just general wear causes them to leave a "file finish"after a while.

I ran one for years.....

I never got to use the CBN cutters and we never had a grinder....

Wheel had to be crated up and sent out or replace your own cutters but that was usually not a good scenario.......all it took was one cutter to be slightly high or low....

I have an old Van Norman rotary broach at home and it's a real dinosoar.....it needs to go to the scrap pile....
Old 06-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #24
BillK

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
replace your own cutters but that was usually not a good scenario.......all it took was one cutter to be slightly high or low....
I remember those days well. I used to spend hours getting the new bits set up perfect. So glad for modern technology
Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #25
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

When I deck my blocks I actually get a back cut which is the flattest surface and most tub grinders have lead built into them which when the head is tipped its not as flat as most think.

carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #26
bry-war

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Bryce,
I was thinking about this a little. Do you have a picture of the entire deck surface in one shot ? Did it look like it was done in two different cuts ?? I have seen some Dart blocks come with a pretty terrible finish from the factory that almost looks like they made two passes with different cutters. I does not matter because I am going to surface it anyway but I wonder if yours is just the factory finish ?

Just thinking out loud
Bill,
I do not have an overall pic of the decks but it was definitely just one pattern. No return travel pattern or variance other than how it looked like an angular path as mentioned before. If I recall correctly, the deck height was 9.804. seems like not alot left for a factory cut. I will be running some Fel-pro 1057 (wire ring composite) gaskets for this go-round.
Thanks
Bryce
bry-war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #27
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Rick,

Are they ARP studs ? Did you use ARP lube or just oil ? If they are ARP studs the torque spec is 80 lb ft with ARP lube. If you used oil it would be higher.

I personally think that the finish would really have to be bad to make them leak. If you could see some of the factory cylinder head finishes that I see you would understand why I say that. They are pretty terrible yet they don't leak. I always put the proper finish on them when I machine them but I don't know if it is your problem.

Now if the deck or the heads have low spots in them I could see it.

Years ago one of the Fel Pro performance engineers told me to do the following when torqueing race engine heads.
1. Torque the heads as usual to the correct torque.
2. Let them sit overnight
3. Start with the first bolt in the pattern, loosen it 1/2 turn and then torque it back to specs in one step. Continue through the pattern one bolt at a time doing the same thing.

This method works much better than just putting your toque wrench on and re-torqueing the fastener because typically the breakaway torque to get the bolt or nut moving again is a lot more than the final torque spec.

If you try this, mark one of the bolts or nuts before you loosen it. Then re-torque it and see how much more it turns. I typically see close to 1/8 turn.

I do this on almost every engine I do and have basically not had any head gasket issues.
That's a good one...

I'm going to file that away with my old guy tricks....

I hope that you don't mind me stealing it....

That how I will re-torque in the future, even though I don't have sealing problems....

I don't think that would work with head bolts that have the bolt holes that extend into the water jacket???

Would breaking the bond of sealer between the bolt threads and the tapped hole cause a coolant leak???

My Pontiacs have blind holes and now that studded blocks are legal it isn't a problem for my race engines. So I am gathering info for other projects....

Thanks again for the info...

Bob
Old 06-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #28
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
That's a good one...

I'm going to file that away with my old guy tricks....

I hope that you don't mind me stealing it....

That how I will re-torque in the future, even though I don't have sealing problems....

I don't think that would work with head bolts that have the bolt holes that extend into the water jacket???

Would breaking the bond of sealer between the bolt threads and the tapped hole cause a coolant leak???

My Pontiacs have blind holes and now that studded blocks are legal it isn't a problem for my race engines. So I am gathering info for other projects....

Thanks again for the info...

Bob
I brought this procedure up at a racers breakfast I go to on Saturday mornings and the guys thought I had 2 heads. My engine builder from years ago told me of this procedure. But it was on studs not bolts. I think using cometic gaskets you do not need to do this step anymore.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #29
Jim Bailey

Liked 512 Times in 105 Posts
Cool Re: cometic head gaskets

I have a simple practice that I use with MLS gaskets. The problem is with the stretch of the fastener. I use plenty of copper coat ( like a whole can on two gaskets). After the head is torked on, I let it set 24 hours. Then, "one at a time", I untork the fastener and re tork it to spec with one pull on the tork wrench. I've actually had motors stop weeping, doing this on the dyno. Right or wrong....works for me.
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #30
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bailey View Post
I have a simple practice that I use with MLS gaskets. The problem is with the stretch of the fastener. I use plenty of copper coat ( like a whole can on two gaskets). After the head is torked on, I let it set 24 hours. Then, "one at a time", I untork the fastener and re tork it to spec with one pull on the tork wrench. I've actually had motors stop weeping, doing this on the dyno. Right or wrong....works for me.
On my sbc I didn't spray coating as I was informed by many not to. If you had good luck spraying then I will on next rebuild for piece of mind as I run alot of nitrous and feel leary of not coating them. Thanks for the info.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote