HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Stockers

Try disconnecting the battery just before making a run. This should put the computer in open loop (learning mode).
I had to do that on one of my turbo cars. If I didn't it would slow up at least 1 to 1.5 tenths no matter what temp air etc.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #22
Marc Kinton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Art, thanks for the tip. Disconnect pos. and negative sides? We are running a 4:88 gear. shifting at 5800 1st to 2nd and 5800 2nd to 3rd.

60' 1.76
330' 5.29
1/8th mile 8.37
1/8th mph 79.53
1/4 mile 13.37
1/4 mph 97.34
Marc Kinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #23
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Marc ,You can make 11 lbs @ 2800 against a 2 step?
How long does it take to get there?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #24
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

I like to know also.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #25
Marc Kinton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How? Heck I don't know!

Like i said, I just started this deal; sounds like I shouldn't be getting that much? I will pay closer attention this weekend. Hope to test on Friday and we have a combo race Saturday where I will try and get as much info for you guys, just tell me what to look for.

I do go to full throttle as soon as i stage to get the boost as high as possible. Do you think it would help to add brake pressure and be able to leave at a higher rpm?

Last edited by Marc Kinton; 12-10-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: more information
Marc Kinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #26
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Kinton View Post
How? Heck I don't know!

Like i said, I just started this deal; sounds like I shouldn't be getting that much? I will pay closer attention this weekend. Hope to test on Friday and we have a combo race Saturday where I will try and get as much info for you guys, just tell me what to look for.

I do go to full throttle as soon as i stage to get the boost as high as possible. Do you think it would help to add brake pressure and be able to leave at a higher rpm?
Sounds kinda high for the RPM. I can make 6-7 @ 3500 .The brakes won't hold higher than that. I'm working on a smaller diameter converter right now. I figure it'll take 4000 rpm to get to 10-11 lbs.
You said "stock brakes" . Is that stock vacuum assisted brakes?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #27
Rob Lloyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
Sounds like your having an electronics issue. You can not fight the computer, you have to fool it
Don't fool it, just reprogram it!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #28
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lloyd View Post
Don't fool it, just reprogram it!
What he said^^^^^

If everything goes the way it suppose to and I get out there in Stock next year, it will be my first reall attempt at bracket racing a turbo car. I am a little afraid that .05 off will not be to uncommon. I think the boost off the line will be the key.

Ah well, I have no grandiose dreams of going rounds unless heads up runs. A record, and a number 1 qualifying spot will be my goal next year. From there I will see if I will campaign the car a second year, or move on to a consistent car.
Jimi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #29
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Best of luck. have fun.
One thing I believe to be true is, don't mess with the hairdryer. All the cars I know that don't do that, are consistent. My car almost always ran the number (within a hundreth or two). But my reaction times were so bad I couldn't go rounds.
Mark Poole in a turbododge finished in second place points in stock/superstock combo 2 years in a row at the "Hill" in Nashville. And there were a bunch of heavy hitters running there back then. So you can go rounds. My car was most consistent running it hard, running overweight but not shortshifting or playing with the boost..
Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #30
Rob Lloyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
Best of luck. have fun.
One thing I believe to be true is, don't mess with the hairdryer. All the cars I know that don't do that, are consistent. My car almost always ran the number (within a hundreth or two). But my reaction times were so bad I couldn't go rounds.
Mark Poole in a turbododge finished in second place points in stock/superstock combo 2 years in a row at the "Hill" in Nashville. And there were a bunch of heavy hitters running there back then. So you can go rounds. My car was most consistent running it hard, running overweight but not shortshifting or playing with the boost..
You ran a manual boost controller, right? Not computer control? I think that helps. The computer has adaptives that are always adjusting the wastegate to keep the boost (and knock) under control. I'm going to turn off all the adaptives this year and see if I can't get some consistency out of the thing. It's really strange - it will run severals passes in the same range, and then it will be off 0.2 for no apparent reason. I think it's the computer trying to take over...

I also think boost and traction off the line are key. Because turbos need load to spool; the better your traction, the faster the boost will build. I think getting the traction off the line consistent is key. And, that's doubly hard if you're FWD becuase the 'groove' is 8ft behind your slicks...