Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Turbo Stockers

In the 2010 rules amendments they have added for turbo stockers:

Quote:
Turbocharger size will be verified by measuring the housing bore at the leading edge of the impeller wheel. The maximum diameter of the housing bore at the leading edge of the wheel may not exceed 2mm more than the maximum allowable turbocharger size
permitted.

By housing bore do the mean the inlet of the compressor housing? And they are measuring the id of the inlet right in front of the compressor wheel? Just making sure I am interpreting this correctly.
Jimi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi B View Post
In the 2010 rules amendments they have added for turbo stockers:

By housing bore do the mean the inlet of the compressor housing? And they are measuring the id of the inlet right in front of the compressor wheel? Just making sure I am interpreting this correctly.
I doubt they know. When they did mine they never had a clue. Even though I gave them a turbo to measure. and count vanes etc. The next time I came apart. They had forgot about it and didn't do a thing with it. It was a junkyard unit with a lot of play. But the exact same as the one I had. They were more obsessed with my piston being .375 to high (LOL).
A mistake in their books, which eventually was corrected.

PS If all they are going to check is size. I can make a stocker run 3 seconds under Every turbo car I know runs a stock turbo. not a "stocker turbo". If you cheat a turbo on some cars you would fly. There is a lot more to a turbo other than how much boost you can run.
It's more about how quick you can get the boost.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post

PS If all they are going to check is size. I can make a stocker run 3 seconds under Every turbo car I know runs a stock turbo. not a "stocker turbo". If you cheat a turbo on some cars you would fly. There is a lot more to a turbo other than how much boost you can run.
It's more about how quick you can get the boost.
With the stock turbos that shouldnt be a problem! Getting the boost the same every pass to actually win a round is the real challenge!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
With the stock turbos that shouldnt be a problem! Getting the boost the same every pass to actually win a round is the real challenge!
My car used to be consistent. The only problem was the nut behind the wheel Some people went rounds with turbo cars.
If you think about it how many consistent number 1 qualifiers go rounds? Whether turbo, supercharged or naturally aspireated

Last edited by art leong; 11-24-2009 at 09:47 AM.
art leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

If they are clueless about "size" I bet they will have fun with altitude et/mph corrections for turbo and supercharged sportsman cars.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Prior to this rule the only turbo rule I have seen in stock is the header rule. Header permitted, turbo must remain in the engine bay. Art, do most or all the turbo dodge guys run the stock exhaust manifold?
Old 11-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

All that I know.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Rob Lloyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Prior to this rule the only turbo rule I have seen in stock is the header rule. Header permitted, turbo must remain in the engine bay. Art, do most or all the turbo dodge guys run the stock exhaust manifold?
I run the stock manifold, ported. I don't see the advantage of adding volume between the port and the turbo. You'll only lose energy (heat). If you made a real short, real thick wall header, it might be better due to balancing the flow between cylinders. Obviously a custom ($$$) part...
Old 12-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indeed. I view an exhaust port of a turbo engine similar to an intake port. Make the x port too large, and all you are doing is reducing velocity. I am not positive that playing with runner length for a small turbo would make a large difference. I am certianly not going to spend the money if I am facing being too fast anyway. There is a really nice cast manifold for my setup that I will most likely use.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
There was one car in front stock a few years ago that had the turbo mounted in front of the motor. He got through tech. But I belive he was lucky. Haven't heard about the that car
for a few years.
Most of the cars I know use a stock or slightly modified stock manfold