HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default 4 cylinder cars?

OK, I have my car picked out and mostly apart, and now the wife thinks she may want to have one too. So, I thought, let's try a 4 cylinder. So, what would be a recommended car to find for a 4cyl RWD car, or even a front wheel drive? I know Mark's Mustang is a good choice, but to be honest the building is the fun part for me, so any other suggestions?
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: 4 cylinder cars?

AMC used a 4 cyl. Audi derived engine in 1977-78 but it isn't in the guide.The Jeep Comanchee from the late 80s to early 90s had a 4 cylinder.Not sure if that's in the guide,but with the 6 cyl 4.0 6 cyl Bob Salemi
here in Div 1 fought the FI system on it for a few years.He finially sorted it out and the little truck flys now.

Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
John Quinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to race a 71 Pinto with the 2 liter German engine and a 4 speed. Lots of fun to drive and the current rules would cure the parts breakage problems I had with it. It needed a stronger transmission and rear end, I got so tired of replacing them I parked the car. The major problem would be finding a Pinto. I know where one is.
John Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Chris Cogan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How about a later model car such as a cavalier or cobalt with an Ecotec engine. They are FWD, but they are powerful engines and parts are readily available, not to mention the tuneability with the fuel injected stuff. If RWD is what you want, how about a 4cyl, 2WD, shortbed Colorado or Canyon pickup? Those can also be found with an inline 5 cylinder. They are also great engines and the 4 cylinder truck engines are bigger displacement than the ecotec stuff. Just a thought. Take care.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Tod Lane

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Quinn View Post
I used to race a 71 Pinto with the 2 liter German engine and a 4 speed. Lots of fun to drive and the current rules would cure the parts breakage problems I had with it. It needed a stronger transmission and rear end, I got so tired of replacing them I parked the car. The major problem would be finding a Pinto. I know where one is.
That brings back memories, Bob Swartz that posts here used to travel with some guys that ran a Pinto Stocker with that 2000 CC motor, they held a national record for a long time with it. The motor is really well designed, great heads, bullet proof bottom end. They ran a D/MCP with that same engine, turned it unreal RPM with stock rods, never broke one.

Bob had one as well, and I can testify the abuse we heaped on that car... As Mr Quinn said, I remember them changing a lot of transmissions and it was hard to get enough gear in the little rear end, both problems would not exsist today. As I recall from my Ford days that engine was designed in europe for club racing and Ford was behind in the development of the 2.3 and needed a motor for the Pinto debut. The intake paorts are straight and big as were the exhaust.

Bob or Mr Quinn can probably remember more about compression and cams...

I think there were a few of those running around including some wagons.
Tod Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Lane View Post
That brings back memories, Bob Swartz that posts here used to travel with some guys that ran a Pinto Stocker with that 2000 CC motor, they held a national record for a long time with it. The motor is really well designed, great heads, bullet proof bottom end. They ran a D/MCP with that same engine, turned it unreal RPM with stock rods, never broke one.

Bob had one as well, and I can testify the abuse we heaped on that car... As Mr Quinn said, I remember them changing a lot of transmissions and it was hard to get enough gear in the little rear end, both problems would not exsist today. As I recall from my Ford days that engine was designed in europe for club racing and Ford was behind in the development of the 2.3 and needed a motor for the Pinto debut. The intake paorts are straight and big as were the exhaust.

Bob or Mr Quinn can probably remember more about compression and cams...

I think there were a few of those running around including some wagons.
Tod,

Old friend, yiou give me too much credit. It's been 30 years since I've messed with one of these. I don't remember cam specs, but also would need to determine year. The 71's would be the ideal choice, less smog controls and probably a tad more compression. These little motors, I believe were only in 8.0:1 range. I threw away all my information on these cars long ago.

These little engines could take a heap of abuse. The drive line was the weak link. I got pretty good at tearing that spindly little transmission out. Back in those days, the largest rear gear I recall, was a 4:30. The Meeks acquired a 4:88 gear set from a Jeep, that we adapted, that helped the stocker tremendously. We never could find another.

We bandied this on an earlier thread. One of these cars today would present an interesting opportunity. With the rules as there are now, allowing you to run a better OEM or and aftermarket transmission, that takes care of one breakage area. The other being the rear end, an 8.8 or better yet, a 9 inch, add a 35 spline spool and axles. Your drivetrain is bulletproof. No matter how much HP you make, you virtually couldn't hurt this stuff. If you broke anything, it'd be because you wore it out!

As far as the car is concerned, a good front end rebuild, with good aftermarket shocks, you could tie the subframes. Some Cal-tracs and split mono-leafs to go with that 9" rear. With the RPM's one could launch this thing, it would be an interesting ride.

Both finding a car and to me, more troubling, how available are the engines and parts? I think Toby Meek still has his old stocker in his mothers barn. The last time I saw it was probably in 1977 before his middle brother bought it off them and took it to Michigan and made a street car back out of it. I do know he got it back sometime in the mid 80's, what was done to it or what kind of shape it's in, I haven't a clue.

If I were blessed with a ton of cash, I'd seek out one of these cars and take a stab at this. I'll bet for a 4 cylinder car, one of these today, would be scarey fast. I'd be interested to hear Mark Yacavone's take on this combination. I'm just speculating.

Robert Swartz
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
s10stocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking about a 4cyl S10 for my wife, but I am probably doing another V6 with the hand me down parts from my other truck.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If you want cheap and easy any of the Mopar turbo cars fit the bill
From an omni to a caravan. A few different combos.
But a word to the wise.... Your wife will out qualify you any time she wants to.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
John Quinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Tod,

Old friend, yiou give me too much credit. It's been 30 years since I've messed with one of these. I don't remember cam specs, but also would need to determine year. The 71's would be the ideal choice, less smog controls and probably a tad more compression. These little motors, I believe were only in 8.0:1 range. I threw away all my information on these cars long ago.

These little engines could take a heap of abuse. The drive line was the weak link. I got pretty good at tearing that spindly little transmission out. Back in those days, the largest rear gear I recall, was a 4:30. The Meeks acquired a 4:88 gear set from a Jeep, that we adapted, that helped the stocker tremendously. We never could find another.

We bandied this on an earlier thread. One of these cars today would present an interesting opportunity. With the rules as there are now, allowing you to run a better OEM or and aftermarket transmission, that takes care of one breakage area. The other being the rear end, an 8.8 or better yet, a 9 inch, add a 35 spline spool and axles. Your drivetrain is bulletproof. No matter how much HP you make, you virtually couldn't hurt this stuff. If you broke anything, it'd be because you wore it out!

As far as the car is concerned, a good front end rebuild, with good aftermarket shocks, you could tie the subframes. Some Cal-tracs and split mono-leafs to go with that 9" rear. With the RPM's one could launch this thing, it would be an interesting ride.

Both finding a car and to me, more troubling, how available are the engines and parts? I think Toby Meek still has his old stocker in his mothers barn. The last time I saw it was probably in 1977 before his middle brother bought it off them and took it to Michigan and made a street car back out of it. I do know he got it back sometime in the mid 80's, what was done to it or what kind of shape it's in, I haven't a clue.

If I were blessed with a ton of cash, I'd seek out one of these cars and take a stab at this. I'll bet for a 4 cylinder car, one of these today, would be scarey fast. I'd be interested to hear Mark Yacavone's take on this combination. I'm just speculating.

Robert Swartz
On the 71 the compression is listed at 9.8 and the cam lift is .400 I&E. Another change, back in the day small slicks didn't exist. Now with the "tuners" there is a good selection of smaller slicks. I think I would go with an 8.8 less drag than a 9 and plenty strong enough with a good gear selection.

My Pinto was also a record holder for a time and won my only points meet victory and the division championship.

Hmmm I may have to go buy the one I know of.

Some folks still race the 2 liter engine in roundy classes, there are a lot of new parts available.

Last edited by John Quinn; 01-27-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added info
John Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Pinto, eh? There's still a few around here, albeit newer with the 2.3. I hate to admit, but I have killed a few in demolition derbies, and they were beasts. I think I know where a couple still are myself, if nobody cut the fronts out for street rods, which up here has happened to quite a few sorry to say. I think there's a Mustang II in that group too, though it may be heavier. There are alot of parts for them via the circle track guys, so I may look into that. I love the oddballs. The FWD Mopar is an interesting idea too; I don't mind when my wife outruns me...she handed my butt to me in a demo derby heat once, and doesn't let me forget it. I guess I was more proud as a car builder we went 1-2!
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote