Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 06-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #451
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Hayes View Post
WOW Todd … it could be a 'Show-Car', your attention to detail is stunning.
Thank you Glenn, I appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #452
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
We left early today, 7 days a week is kicking my butt. I made a parts list we'll need this week, we worked on some brackets, wiring, headers and some little things. Relaxing for the rest of the day but I'll make some time up this week.
This is to charge the battery in the pits?
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #453
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
This is to charge the battery in the pits?
Yes sir.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #454
Painter

Liked 157 Times in 44 Posts

I am looking at all these battery cables in the engine compartment and wondering what the heck is going on here. Why can't we charge the battery without the charging lugs? Why can't we disconnect the battery at the battery without the battery switch? The KISS theory was not used here. When this car rolls across the scales little thi gas like this will all add up, quickly. And the more connections there are, the more possibilities there are for loose connections. But what do I know?
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #455
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
Yes sir.
You have come up with the greatest ideas, the on/off switch, to kill the voltmeter?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #456
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
You have come up with the greatest ideas, the on/off switch, to kill the voltmeter?
It's the gauge light switch.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #457
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
It's the gauge light switch.
got it
Old 06-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #458
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter View Post
I am looking at all these battery cables in the engine compartment and wondering what the heck is going on here. Why can't we charge the battery without the charging lugs? Why can't we disconnect the battery at the battery without the battery switch? The KISS theory was not used here. When this car rolls across the scales little thi gas like this will all add up, quickly. And the more connections there are, the more possibilities there are for loose connections. But what do I know?
Over simplification has never been my strong suit, in fact I over complicate nearly every aspect of my existence, kind of like this very thread, documenting all this crap with pictures and wasting time. Here's the thing, I do it how I do it, doesn't need to be right in someone elses eyes. I taught my kid how to make panels from a cardboard template last week... I win.
The charging lugs you say, well here's the deal, I never owned a car that needed the battery charged, so off we go to the track, drag out a battery charger and stretch it across my pit to charge the damn battery. Well I trip over the cord twice and I got pissed off, so now guess what... I keep my charger and the cords next to the trailer so I still don't have to pick up my feet when I walk... Aaand the battery still gets charged, just my way of doing it. Plus my wife said I can't spend over $500 per week on the car, and if I don't spend it every week where will I be when I have to appeal to the budget committee for an annual increase? I just made that up, I can spend as much as I want!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #459
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

coupla suggestions here that might make life simpler---First put a volt meter in at the battery---if it gets below a certain level time to recharge the battery that way you can see exactly how much charge is in the battery at all times ---second for charging I took my battery charger and replaced the alligator clips with a 50 amp Anderson connector then fabricated a small bracket and installed another Anderson connector with 10 Gauge wire running to the battery posts---you cannot screw up hooking the charger to the battery its just plug it in AND correct polarity every time-- now you can make that cable from the charger to the battery any length you want ONLY one wire going from the charger to the car, no tripping over extension cords, battery cords or the power cord for the charger ---easy, inexpensive and it works --FED 387

Last edited by FED 387; 06-24-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #460
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
coupla suggestions here that might make life simpler---First put a volt meter in at the battery---if it gets below a certain level time to recharge the battery that way you can see exactly how much charge is in the battery at all times ---second for charging I took my battery charger and replaced the alligator clips with a 50 amp Anderson connector then fabricated a small bracket and installed another Anderson connector with 10 Gauge wire running to the battery posts---you cannot screw up hooking the charger to the battery its just plug it in AND correct polarity every time-- now you can make that cable from the charger to the battery any length you want ONLY one wire going from the charger to the car, no tripping over extension cords, battery cords or the power cord for the charger ---easy, inexpensive and it works --FED 387
Thank you sir for the input, great ideas.