HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
FE Rory

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unless Tim has "jumped ship" (I certainly hope not!), he has a 89 or so H/FIA 5.0 EFI Mustang LX hatchback.

FE Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #12
Rory Christianson

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

OK forget the 305 chev thing

Maybe a dumb question did you use thread sealent on your headbolts ?

RC
Rory Christianson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
Tim Ellis

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Yep Rory, and arp moly on the others that dont go in the water jackets. gonna put the intake back on tomorrow & pressurize the radiator & look for pressure drop & leaks. thanks for the ideas.

Tim S. Ellis
Tim Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #14
Rory Christianson

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

And what was the verdict ?
Hopefully it went good

RC
Rory Christianson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:41 AM   #15
larry dowty

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Tim hope you get it fixed look forward to seeing you in boise

larry dowty
Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #16
Tim Ellis

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I put the intake back on with 1/4 " of permatex right stuff around the water ports on the heads & also on top of the gaskets around the water ports. Pressurized radiator to 16 lbs and turned on waterpump {motor not running}. still drips water out of drain plug, aprox 1 drip per second to 2- 7 seconds between drips. Tomorrow I'll add oil , pressurize radiator and crank motor & see if water in sparkplug holes. Then start motor , pressurize radiator & see if pressure builds quickly from a bad head gasket/ seal. Still workin on it , thanks guys, [Hi Larry].

Tim S. Ellis
Old 04-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
RichBiebel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since you already confirmed you have a leak don't put oil in it or run it. If the water is coming out the oil pan drain plug?....you now know it is in the crankcase....not in a combustion chamber. Are the valve covers off? You need to check the top of the heads in the spring seat area. Your looking for water or bubbles streaming along and down the drain hole passages. Can you pull the oil pan off ? If you can you might be able to see where the water is coming from underneath. I had one block once with a pinhole in a cylinder down low in the cylinder......drove me nuts trying to find it.....

RichBiebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #18
Tim Ellis

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Rich, I'm 99% sure the water leak is at the water port connection/ heads to intake, or the heads themselves. I have put paper towels in the intake valley, front back sides & middle , then pressurized the system & turned on water pump, motor off. All the paper towels were wet, I probably let the test go too long & the towels wicked the water one to another or it is spraying under the pressure. I have also looked at the valve spring areas under pressure. I think it may need the intake milled or it is a head probled, even though I've had the heads pressure tested. Because of the wet paper towels in the vallet It's gotta be where the leak is, I guess. Still workin on it . Thanks.

Tim S. Ellis
Old 04-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #19
RichBiebel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tim...if the heads were angle milled and the intake faces were not corrected the angle could be off enough to cause your leak. I don't know if that is a common thing to do on Ford heads or if that is even possible to change the angle enough to net yourself a problem......but it's worth looking into. If you lay the intake in the valley with no gaskets in place you may be able to see an angle mis-match.....or the gasket might have an imprint that shows a mis-match.......If you have a stock head....you can use an adjustable angle finder type square gauge and set it to the angle on those heads.....then use it to see what you have on your race heads.......

RichBiebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #20
galxeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The timing cover on those engines can have corosion holes between the water pump and inside the engine, been there.

galxeman is offline   Reply With Quote