HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #81
Bill Rolik

Liked 47 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68hemiss View Post
Bill,
I sent those pics to John! Any idea who owned the S/S 68' Hemi Barracuda from Idlewild Motors in Springfield Gardens, NY or the one from Brodlieb Motors in Woodmere, LI, NY? These wree bought new there.
Mark Janaky
Dart4261964@yahoo.com
Mark,

Those cars MAY have spent most of their activity at tracks like New York National Speedway. I don't remember even seeing either one at Island, and I only went to E-Town for the first time in 71. Maybe they had already left the area by then. Were Brooklyn Heavy or Ron Lyles involved with a Cuda, as opposed to a Dart like the Speedwin car?

Bill Rolik

1514 SS
Bill Rolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #82
Frito

Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy R Parker View Post
68hemiss,

I'm pretty sure it was Max Hurley that was having wheelbase issues in tech.

I apologize in advance to Mr. Hurley if I'm wrong. Max was one of the heavy hitters at the time and I'm sure he did not go to Indy unless he was convinced his car was legal.

I brought it up because I was curious if the wheelbase modification was performed on other Darts at the time.

Jimmy
In the staging lanes at Bristol in the late 70's, Max asked me to set in his car and hold the brake while he went to the little boys room. The back of the lanes ran uphill and Max did not have park in is trans. He kept a small piece of 2x4 for parking on less hilly ground. I would say the wheelbase issue was him and I am sure he had talked it over with nhra first. A first class guy. He ran with the heavy hitters of that time (Bagwell, Earwood, Kinnett) with a LOT less budget!!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #83
marfen

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Figure I'll wade into Liteweight's thread here re NE based Hemi Darts/Barracudas (the cold beverages are on me next time we get together Liteweight!) since my dart has been mentioned a few times and there's a wealth of info coming out on this thread. It's the car that may be the Gene O'Neill 4 spd car. Here is the earliest pic from 83/84 that I know for sure is my car when it was for sale in Quebec (Reynald Prieur), it went to Nova Scotia (Richard Boyd), John Brown (Pennsylvania) and a few more collectors until I acquired it. It is a first run VIN car. Any of you NE folks recall a dart heading north back then and who may have owned it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dart for sale.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1493  
marfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:08 AM   #84
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure Steve O'Neill (flintstonecharger) will have something to add here....I realize that's a B&W photo, but do you have any idea of car color combo in that pic? Thanks. Best wishes. WJ

Last edited by W J; 09-23-2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: add sentence....
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #85
marfen

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Hi WJ, the guy from Nova Scotia who bought this car thru this ad in the Auto Trader in Quebec thought it was yellow with red/blue stripes when he bought it/. He repainted it orange and lettered it mopar magic.
marfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #86
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks....flintstonecharger is up in Maine on a little vaca....w/out a computer. You'll be hearing from Steve soon as he gets home, I'm sure. Best wishes. WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #87
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Bill Rodik
Flintstone Charger (Steve)
W J (Parachute Jumper; a/k/a Hemi Sky-Diver)
MarK J (Hemi Professor)

Very Good Hemi Hunting to you.
Bill, Nice posting on that white Cuda, Park Chrysler-Plymouth. Looks like a Dana-rear, another 4-speed. Look out, here comes another flying
driveshaft.

Steve (FlintstoneCharger). Great photos of the Flintstone Charger at
Dover 5/22/66 versus "Doc" Burgess, Black Arrow. The first time out for
Doc in an Hilborn-injected engine. The "Flintstone Charger" blew the
hood off the car earlier in the day. Ran later with no hood. Great close-ups of both cars on the line. 10.80's on a cold day.

W J... Southern-Connecticut dealer for Gene O'Neill's Dart, with help from Bill Flynn. Possible, Chorches Motors, Manchester, CT (just east of
Hartford). Or, another Hamden. This one located in southern-Connecticut
(just north of New Haven, Bill Flynn's home-base). Was there a
Hamden Dodge, Connecticut?

Mark J (Professor). Last I heard of "Playmate II" it ended up in a little town in Eastern, PA (Greentown, PA). But that was many moons ago.
Charlie Lendrum's Dart kind of vanished into the sunset.

Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:50 AM   #88
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Zlatkin View Post
In May 1970 I was at Arlen Vanke's shop in Akron, Ohio and took a bunch of pictures of the cars there (his 1st. pro stock Duster, his '68 Cuda, both painted yellow & black and a couple of the '67 Hemi Belvederes SS/DA cars).

If anyone knows how to get in touch with him I would love to send him these pictures before we both die and my kids just throw them out. I know he will enjoy them.
Bobby, please, by all means do not leave us out! Please share these photos with us. We would love to see 'em too!

Regards,

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 09-25-2009 at 02:22 AM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #89
mopar68
VIP Member

George Baptiste bought an original UNCUT '68 Hurst Hemi Barracuda from some street racer-type who ran afoul of the law and (unfortunately) cut it up into a race car back in the very early 1990s.

The car was purchased from someone in the northern New Jersey area. It saw very limited strip action (and possibly street?) and sat for years until George found out about it and purchased it sometime in the 1980s. From what I was told, the 'Cuda was so original Chrysler Corp. offered to purchase the car back but George declined.

I am only relating what I was told about 18 years ago and cannot verify this story's accuracy.

Btw, is George still around? I'd like to hear the story from him!

M68

Last edited by mopar68; 09-25-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #90
mopar68
VIP Member

Lou Centolanza ran his 'Cuda sometime in the mid-1970s up to at least 1977.

(No, it's not the Baptiste car.)

M68