HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts
Default Travis' fractured ankle at Columbus

Yes I did fracture my ankle at the Sportsnationals race. This is being posted in hopes I can save someone else from going through what I am going through.

I slipped on the rear door ramp coming out of the Div 3 Tech trailer Thursday during tech. I was not in any hurry and the ramp had deck plating on it. When I fell I heard my leg bone snap. X-rays at the hospital confirmed everything. I was operated on Friday. A plate with screws holding the bone together are now a permanent part of my leg. My wife and two daughters brought me home to Louisville Saturday afternoon. I must stay off the leg for at least 6 weeks.

As I lay in the hospital bed Thursday night with a temporary cast on my leg anticipating surgery the next day, I went over and over in my mind how the accident happened. We all are aware of the rear door ramps on most enclosed trailers. And at one time or another we have all slipped on them. Usually we do not fall, simply telling ourselves to be more careful next time. That night in the hospital I came up with a solution that could possibly keep this type accident from happening.

The door need only be used as an inclined ramp when loading or unloading vehicles. If it is raised up level at all other times it becomes a flat deck. One would have to step up onto the deck or step down off the deck but it would be level. This eliminates the incline or as some call it...the slippery slope. Skid proof surfaces can be installed but while they may increase traction the ramp is still an incline when lowered all the way.

It is very easy to make stacked wooden blocks to place under the rear corners of the door bringing it up level. Handles could be installed on the blocks making it simple to remove them when it comes time to put a vehicle away inside the trailer.

Again I am posting this because I do not want to see any of you go through what I am currently experiencing. Believe me, at 59 years old a broken bone is no fun. Neither is looking forward to 6 weeks on crutches. It is also my right leg so that means I will have to be driven everywhere.

Good luck to everyone the rest of the racing season. Hope to see you all next year.

(Disclaimer: Ideas and opinions expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my ideas and opinions. I just hope this idea can save someone else.)

Last edited by Travis Miller; 10-01-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Larry Buckingham SS3820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Travis' fractured ankle at Columbus

Hey Travis - glad to hear you're home and on your way to recovery. Get well soon - we'll see ya next year. The rest of the season won't be the same without you! Larry & Lisa Buckingham
Larry Buckingham SS3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Julie Jordan

Liked 322 Times in 64 Posts

Travis ~ Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Paul Hellenberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Travis' fractured ankle at Columbus

Speed recovery and thank you for the thoughts.

Paul
3250 GT/BA
Paul Hellenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Amy Niceswanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Travis' fractured ankle at Columbus

You Div 3 guys and your ankles!!! Take care of yourself and get well soon!!!

Jeff, John & Amy
Amy Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
John Auer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are we starting to see a pattern here? These guys will do anything to get some time off from us hardheaded class racers. We can be alot of trouble but we aren't that bad are we? Get well soon Travis, see you next year. Auer Power Racing, John, Tony, Danny, Keith
John  Auer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Dave Layer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Travis glad you are home and doing well. Take care of your self and get back out there keeping us on the straight and narrow.

Buy the way my car had an additional throttle return spring on it. I'm sure you had not forgotten about it.

Dave
Dave Layer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Dave Edwards

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

Sorry to hear of your accident Travis but it sounds like your in good hands now. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you next spring. Believe me we already miss you but relax and try to enjoy your time off.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
rseibenick

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Wll miss you at fall INDY. Take care of yourself and yes , will see you next year. Ron Seibenick.
rseibenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Red LeBlanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wishing you a speedy recovery . Red Le Blanc . Travis we are all getting OLD 61 this Month .