HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
rboyle

Liked 554 Times in 156 Posts
Default Engine diapers on S/SS?

I never tried to fit one. Anyone have any experience trying to fit one and if so which one actually fits a Stock type chassis?

Last edited by rboyle; 10-02-2019 at 09:48 PM.
rboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Pat6868

Liked 66 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: Engine diapers on S/SS?

Compared to other classes, what percentage of stockers have oiled down tracks this year? Who is bouncing this one around?
Pat6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I have been racing my super stock car for over 40 years and have only oiled the track once in that length of time. I don't think it is necessary in my humble opinion
Old 10-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts

Yeah......... I want to see just how they determine just what will be legal when they ( the NHRA BOD) start requiring S/SS Racers to put a diaper/tray under a car with a (relatively) stock frame and engine location.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Suggest racers make a list of concise impacts such a change would make and feed that to your SRAC representatives. Not a tirade, but a detailed impact statement to what changes would be required to your particular car(s) to mount a blanket or belly pan. For some (FE fords come to mind) it would almost require fender exit headers, wow, wouldn’t that look great and then we’d crank up the dB police. In my case with a tie rod spanning the engine bay it would almost require a dry sump system be designed fabricated and tested. In other words I’d no longer compete at NHRA events. While that may be dandy with NHRA since we’re basically a nuisance to them anyway I really don’t think they want to kill the cash cow sportsman racers.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
Eman

Liked 104 Times in 59 Posts

I only bracket race and it's a 3rd gen F body stock frame. Diaper is tight but it fits and I've got it on there. Mine is a DRE and it's a nice piece. Most full body stock type drag cars today are antiques, and in many cases so are the drivers. I don't want to crash and get hurt or crash and have to fix my car or my opponents. Oiling the track is a concern but down the list from the others.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #7
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
I only bracket race and it's a 3rd gen F body stock frame. Diaper is tight but it fits and I've got it on there. Mine is a DRE and it's a nice piece. Most full body stock type drag cars today are antiques, and in many cases so are the drivers. I don't want to crash and get hurt or crash and have to fix my car or my opponents. Oiling the track is a concern but down the list from the others.
x2. My Nova, chassis-wise, is basically a Stocker and I have a diaper on it after oiling the track and feeling lucky to get it stopped safely. It is a DRE with Kevlar panels where the headers get close or touch, and it was made to accommodate the stock motor mounts. It fits like a glove and I'm glad to have it.

Especially considering the nature of S/SS to maximize performance and often run on the edge of the parts' potential, I am surprised those classes have escaped the diaper rule as long as they have.
Liked
Old 10-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #8
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
Most full body stock type drag cars today are antiques, and in many cases so are the drivers.
I guess I resemble that remark. I would really like a diaper on my car but I am not sure how I would get it on and have it be effective.

If it were not for these issues I think diapers would have been mandatory in most classes by now.

Bill Lamb
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
Pat6868

Liked 66 Times in 21 Posts

Again, what percentage of stock eliminator cars oiled down tracks this year? The best way to get the diaper rule forced on stock racers is to keep talking about it.
Pat6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Bill Grubbs

Liked 454 Times in 60 Posts
Smile Re: Engine diapers on S/SS?

Depends?
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote