HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2024, 09:36 AM   #1
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,741 Times in 422 Posts
Default The Demise Of Class Eliminations

Pre-Covid we had had Class Eliminations at every National in Division 2. What is the justification for only having Class at one event now?

Also, why is there almost no complaining about this?

To me, this is one of the few valid things that we should be fighting for.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:52 AM   #2
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,816 Times in 1,528 Posts
Default Re: The Demise Of Class Eliminations

Ya know Daren, I won't even get into my rant regarding why we are even AT Nat'l Events anymore. I'll just say that when participation is legislated down to the point where there is no longer even any kind of meaningful "qualifying" then IMHO we (S/SS Racers) shouldn't be there anymore.
The NHRA could easily run Class Eliminations at any number of Divisional Events (with intent, not as an afterthought) throughout the year. Maybe at least one and maybe more in each Division. Just leave Indy alone, some things are sacred even to me!

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:11 AM   #3
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,741 Times in 422 Posts

I think that running Class Eliminations at Divisionals is a step down. I also don't think that one opportunity in each Division is enough.

I am assuming that before Covid turned everything upside down, the cost of Class was built into our entry fee. So, in Division 2 they are handing out two thirds less trophies than before and charging more than before.

This is a legitimate issue that should be addressed. There is a lot of discussion on here on how Class Racing is dying. This is a big deal that we shouldn't let go easily.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:30 AM   #4
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,816 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
This is a legitimate issue that should be addressed. There is a lot of discussion on here on how Class Racing is dying. This is a big deal that we shouldn't let go easily.
Do you believe for one minute that I don't feel that this isn't a legitimate issue? I'm quite sure that if anyone feels this to be a non-issue it will be the NHRA B-O-D. They have been taking time in their shows away from us for years and giving it to Jr.s and local bracket shows. If you (and others) truly believe this to be a "legitimate issue" then I would like to suggest that "we" start looking at this from a 21ST Century perspective because whether "we" like it or not, "we" don't fit in to NHRA's Nat'l Event program any longer.
I can easily live with running Class Eliminations at a Divisional Event where we're openly welcome and participation isn't a problem.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:48 AM   #5
Barry Polley

Liked 562 Times in 233 Posts

[QUOTE=GUMP;691341]I think that running Class Eliminations at Divisionals is a step down. I also don't think that one opportunity in each Division is enough.

How is that a step down?

Last edited by Barry Polley; 01-09-2024 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Double
Barry Polley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:02 AM   #6
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

Class at nationals are a joke, how can you have class when the field is getting smaller and smaller quotas.
Old 01-09-2024, 11:11 AM   #7
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,658 Times in 1,295 Posts

Gump, I feel your pain ….I will share with you a quote from my close friend Charles Norton ……”Nothing lasts forever “
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:25 AM   #8
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

Crazy idea add two more class events for SS/STK. Run them both at national open's. Maybe one at the Dutch classic and one at Belle Rose in Nov or INDY fall classic in Oct. The air should be killer and guys can run there cars flat out with no penalty. Give NHRA Wally's away for the class wins not plaques and let them set records along with a hemi shootout. I don't see how this would not work . I bet you could even get a few sponsors for events like this.

Last edited by Charley Downing; 01-09-2024 at 11:31 AM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:37 AM   #9
Barry Polley

Liked 562 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Ortiz View Post
Class at nationals are a joke, how can you have class when the field is getting smaller and smaller quotas.
Only 32 cars at Nats is hardly a class runoff imo.
NHRA Nats do not care about sportsman racing. Half the field is home on Thursday or Friday and even sooner if weather plays in.
Old 01-09-2024, 11:37 AM   #10
DG

Liked 324 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Ortiz View Post

Ron, I agree. I have seen class contested at Nationals with a quota of 50. Its has no meaning at that point. Now were seeing cars capable of running -1.20 making deals to lift at a 1000' or setting their car up to only run -.98 and hoping with a good light to get the win. Between no prize money, running at Divisionals and the AHFS, racing for class is all screwed up except for Indy. Maybe running Class at National Opens where we can also set records without the threat of a AHFS hit, as suggested by Yac and Charley, is the way to go. Preferably these Nationals Opens would be at the fastest track in the Division and at a time of year when the DA is very good. And let us go down the the track at 8:00 am not at 11:00 am after Jr dragsters. Maybe making National Opens great is the way to go. NHRA isn't gonna give us what we want at National events.

Last edited by DG; 01-09-2024 at 11:58 AM.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote