HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default Running a Hemi in SS/AH vs. SS/AA: Whats the difference?

Okay I know this question has been asked but whats the difference between running in SS/AH and SS/AA. Are there any differences in the combonation that you have change in running one vs. the other? I'm sitting here and I'm just wondering why none of the SS/B and SS/BA Hemi cars are running any faster at Indy. I figure a Barton or Wescott SS/AH motor sitting in a B car would fly. I do know I'm overgeneralizing because the economy has a big part to play in things but I just figured that there was big money going into some of the B cars as well to go fast.

Any info is appreciated, thanks!
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Jared Jordan

Liked 224 Times in 69 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan
Default Re: Running a Hemi in SS/AH vs. SS/AA: Whats the difference?

The combinations can be the same. The motor out of Westcott/Barton/Daniels' cars would run great in a big car. Might slow down a little due to aerodynamic advantages of the '68 over the '64-'65 cars.

IMO, the reason you don't see as many of those cars is a) the popularity of the Hemi Shootouts which those cars are not eligible for b) the fact that it costs just as much to make an SS/AA or SS/BA car run fast as it does an SS/AH car so why not go where the competition is? c) most just want to run against other Hemi cars and d) a new reason as of this year: supercharged Mustangs.

Take the motor out of CW's car, install it in a '65 and, assuming all else is equal, you're probably looking at a low 8.5 car in SS/AA trim.

Last edited by Jared Jordan; 09-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Jared Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Jordan View Post
The combinations can be the same. The motor out of Westcott/Barton/Daniels' cars would run great in a big car. Might slow down a little due to aerodynamic advantages of the '68 over the '64-'65 cars.

IMO, the reason you don't see as many of those cars is a) the popularity of the Hemi Shootouts which those cars are not eligible for b) the fact that it costs just as much to make an SS/AA or SS/BA car run fast as it does an SS/AH car so why not go where the competition is? c) most just want to run against other Hemi cars and d) a new reason as of this year: supercharged Mustangs.

Take the motor out of CW's car, install it in a '65 and, assuming all else is equal, you're probably looking at a low 8.5 car in SS/AA trim.
Dont forget the approx $75,000 cost of the engine like CW's and how long would it last?
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Jordan View Post

Main reason I ask is because I would love to race against the other brands. Thats part of the fun. I just looked at the weights, maybe a 120lbs difference between the big car and the dart/cudas. Maybe give up two tenths, so low 8.50's for SS/B. That would be fun to see Vette's, Ford's, and Mopar's run each other in SS/B or SS/A for class again.
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would guess that $75K will not get you a top player in SS/AH. Not even close.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Smile Re: Running a Hemi in SS/AH vs. SS/AA: Whats the difference?

X-Tech Man, You hit the nail right on the head with the price ! To run a Hemii car in SS/BA or SS/AA, you better have a money tree,to compete against the Fords, or Chevy's ! Besides the lifespan of a Hemi is no where near the Ford or Chevy ! Got to be a cheaper way to have a lot of fun !........Later,,,John.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
CaptCobrajet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wonder if the hood clearance in the big cars hinders manifold performance compared to the mailbox on the hood of the '68's. It may not be an issue, but it appears the early cars may not be able to run the same plenum as the Darts and Cudas. Just a thought.
CaptCobrajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Cool Re: Running a Hemi in SS/AH vs. SS/AA: Whats the difference?

CapCobraJet,,,,,Your also right about the early cars and hood clearence ! You can only lower the engine so far, and then build new headers, etc,etc. The A bodies, Darts, Cuda's are able to get a much higher intake under the hood, resulting in more HP. I've tried to point this out to NHRA, and to no avail ! The Older Hemi cars are still factored at 500 hp ! Too High ! .........John